What song actually makes you shout NO! and change the station?

One for me is “We Built This City”. A horrible earworm and a truly bad song.

I turn it up for We Built this City. Likewise, Sara, though that one is more likely to earworm me.

Just today, Bittersweet Symphony had to go. I used to like it. Not now.

ETA: And now I have a Bittersweet Symphony earworm…

Kid Rock All Summer Long, which leads to moments of anguished indecision if Werewolves of London comes on.

“Start Me Up,” Rolling Stones.
“Afternoon Delight” Starland Vocal Band
Several songs by Little River Band
Any songs by Air Supply

Anything by Neil Young. I canNOT stand his voice. “Midnight At The Oasis” by Maria Muldaur - same reason as Neil. And “Lovin’ You” by Minnie Riperton - that one makes my ears bleed.

Anything by David Lee Roth. That stupid shrieky thing he did always made me want to stab something (or maybe just stab my ears so I didn’t have to listen to it again). Fortunately, it’s pretty easy to avoid him nowadays.

I only have three “gopher” songs left (I “go fer” the knob as soon as they start).

Paradise by the Dashboard Light, and Freeze Frame and Centerfold by J Giles. in college we were all so quick a casual listener might not have even noticed what we turned off.

“first two guitar notes of Paradise…” switched!
“Freeze Fr…” gone!
“First note of Centerf…” gone

I was pretty agile when I was 22! Takes a second or two more now.

Not particular songs, but artists. Can’t stand the “whiny Limeys” of the 80s. Smiths / Morrisy - I’m lunging for the dial. Why can’t I be you? Oh, STFU and grow a pair, ya wanker!

Achy, Breaky Heart

Of course, “We built This City” too. And “Every Breath You Take”. I was a big Police fan at the time and still like them, but I hate that song, their worst single by a large margin. I also detest “Sugar, Sugar” as well as “Sweets For My Sweets”, maybe because they’re too, well, sweet for my taste. Shows that even in the magic 60s, which was slightly before my time, many chart songs were crap. I also cannot stand Whitney Houston’s “I Will Alaways Love You”, it’s like nails on a chalkboard, ugh. I much later learned that it was a Dolly Parton cover, who I usually adore, but I never had any incentive to check out her version. There are some acts I change the channel for within a millisecond, for any song: Black Eyed Peas, James Blunt, Celine Dion, Pur and Peter Maffay.

You’ve never watched Best Little Whorehouse in Texas? She sings it there. She also did a studio version years before.

Fun fact - Col. Tom Parker wanted the song for Elvis, and demanded she sign over the publishing rights. She didn’t. Smart girl.

Free Bird. Around 1984, I decided to never willingly hear that song again, and I’ve only been trapped with it about twice in all those years. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Hi EH - let me set that right for you right now. I believe this is the first performance - and, of course, the song is addressed to Porter Wagoner.

(And I respectfully disagree about Sugar Sugar. There’s always a place in the world for a perfect pop song.)

j

You know, I love me a perfect pop song like any other guy, but “Sugar, Sugar” is just too inane for me.

But thanks for the Dolly link. I will bite the bullet and listen. I’ll report back.

Nope, never seen the film. I think I first heard about it here on the Dope, I don’t think it’s much known here and I have never caught it on local TV.

Now, as to a song that will see me throw myself at the radio in order to turn it off: Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

j

See, and I always sing along with it when it comes on the car radio, all parts, Wayne’s World style. :joy:

Mull of Kintyre and Hey Jude.
El condor pasa, including the Simon and Garfunkel version.
Chiquitita and Fernando, by ABBA.

Muskrat Love, by anybody.

A few days ago, explaining how monthly listener stats work on Spotify, I used as examples a friend’s favorite bands. She named Starship and my reply was , “5,827,823 monthly listeners despite the abomination that is We Built This City.” There are whole genres of music I can’t be bothered listening to now so I don’t really listen to the radio in the car. But back in the day this got turned off immediately.