What song actually makes you shout NO! and change the station?

Anything sung by John Fogerty. All Creedence Clearwater Revival songs could be used as a form of torture against me, with special honors going to Lookin’ Out My Backdoor.

Pretty much anything by The Police, Celine Dion, Bruce Springsteen, and post-Nylon Curtain Billy Joel.
Makes the generic 80’s Spotify playlists pretty short.

I don’t mind a fair amount of current radio play; however, after the second time “good 4 u” by Olivia Rodrigo or “Best Friend” by Saweetie comes on, it gets switched to classical public radio.

The 1-877 Kars 4 Kids commercial.

A friend has to turn off the radio if any song by Amy Winehouse comes on. She really identified with the singer and finds her story so tragic that her music makes her cringe.

For me, the song Sunday Bloody Sunday by U2 has awful connotations of a friend’s suicide attempt back in college. I don’t turn it off, but it’s hard to listen to.

Two songs that will also prompt me to leave a store, or at least try to find a place where I can’t hear the overhead music, are Wilson Phillips’ “Hold On” and Amy Grant’s “That’s What Love Is For.”

Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits.

The first time you hear it? O.K., yea, cool guitar.

The thousandth time you hear it? Argh!!! Turn that shit off!!!

Helter Skelter

Aerosmith, Boston, Def Leppard. Really any 70’s- 80s rock that was super popular to the point that I got OD’d on it.

Rubber Duckie (?)
Convoy (C. W. McCall)
Fly, Robin, Fly (Silver Convention)
I Shot the Sheriff (Eric Clapton)

There’s an appalling pile of crap called 7 years that spent a bazillion weeks at the top of the charts here a few years ago. It’s pretty much single-handedly responsible for switching me away from an entire radio station, I had to swap away so much.

Tubthumping used to be in the same category, but I haven’t heard it in long enough I could probably tolerate it now

Escape (The Piña Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes. Inane lyrics, horrible music

During my last dental visit I was treated to The Pina Colada Song while getting my teeth worked on.

Jack Bauer ain’t got nothin’ on me.

mmm

Come on Eileen
Living on the Edge by Aerosmith – actually, any Aerosmith ballad
7 Nation Army – I mean the version played by marching bands during football games. I like the White Stripes version, but I’m so sick of every marching band in existence playing it.

Lady In Red. Bad prom memories.

Afternoon Delight, The Pina Colada Song, and anything by Jim Croce. That awful goopy romantic song (just perfect for Hallmark Movie wimmen) - ‘I’d Really Love to See You Tonight’. :nauseated_face:

I would probably be turning the volume up for most of the song mentioned here. Except for rap nothing really grates on my ears enough to change the station but I do have to be in the mood for some songs in order to enjoy them.

Anything by Mariah Carey, with that whiney, screamy voice.

Rock Star by Nickleback.

The song about front teeth and Christmas. Even the title I despise, hence my decision to describe it rather than refer to it as such.

Like on a raft drifting out to sea. (Simpson’s reference)

I had a discussion last year with a friend who is much more of a musical connoisseur than I can ever imagine. It was about the fact every year it is the same Christmas songs played on repeat. Are we doomed to always listen to Slade’s Merry Christmas Everybody forever?

Ever since that insurance company started using “Buttercup” in their ads, the song just makes me homicidal. I didn’t even want to write the name here as it took me a week to dump that brain cancer the last time.

I like “Midnight At The Oasis” just for the terrific guitar work. It’s a dopey song, of course.

“Africa” is one for me. “99 Luftballons” is another

Curiously, I never liked either of these. There are other songs, like “Afternoon Delight”, that I useta woud turn off but no longer do so. I attribute that to them having been overplayed at the time but (to my ear) actually being not horrible songs.

Corollary question: are any of you aware of any of your most-hated songs being in that category because of when they were popular, i.e., they just have bad associations? I have a couple of those but don’t consider them bad songs per se.