What video games did you play this year and what did you think of them? 2020/Quarantine edition

It does utilize save points, but they are on the map. Here is one such map below:

The Save Point(called Origin Mirror) is the White circle with the X in it(Northwest point of the map). Not all of them have X’s(you’ll see why later on), but those without are just white circles, pretty easily identifiable.

You can run Ammi around while on the map screen and see yourself moving, so it is pretty intuitive.

The Intro is the worst part of Okami. Everything else is amazing.

That brings back memories. The vampire system on Sims 2 was the best of the bunch. The vast majority of my time with 2 was spent on vampire sims. Trying to survive college as a vampire was a hoot. I made one of my sims a mansion with a harem full of vampire wives, old-school-Dracula style.

Hah, that reminds me that I tried to play one of the Yakuza games last year. In the first 60-90min of the game, I think I actively played maybe fifteen minutes and half of those were chasing some pickpocket and repeatedly getting swindled by him. The rest was either cut scenes or trudging to the next cut scene. The games are praised so… I dunno. Maybe it gets better later on but I cut bait by then.

I’ve started playing Greedfall, a game that I almost bought over the winter sales but a friend helpfully pointed out was on MS Game Pass. It’s an RPG of the Dragon Age sort of style but set in an Age of Sail/Colonial style era (in a fictitious world). It’s a little slow moving to start but I like the concept of the game even if I’m not in love with the execution yet so I’m willing to continue trying for now. It’s also a great example of what an “A” game vs a “AAA” game is like. Spiders/Focus developed games are always a bit janky; enough funding to pull something impressive together but not enough to give it a real polish.

As a “dip in when I have a few minutes” experience, I’ve started playing Red Dead Online. It’s currently $5 from all the usual places until the end of February, then they raise the price to $20. Beautiful landscapes and can be played very low key if your primary interest is in just riding your horse, picking some herbs, shooting a deer and cooking up some oregano-treated venison. When I feel like pursuing the story, I do so and when I feel like chasing a bounty or something, I do that. Otherwise I just ride my horse and see where it takes me. Once in a while I run into some dipshit player who shoots me for the hell of it but you can force them into a non-combat Parlay mode which puts an end to that. Anyway, I don’t know if I’d recommend it for twenty bucks but for a fiver or less it’s hard to go wrong.

All PC. Sort of into this year too.

Lego city Undercover: I always meant to play it on the Wii U, I owned it, but PC is my main gaming format, and I bought it ages ago with the intention of playing it when working away in a hotel room. Got beneath my skin completionist wise, last few things needed analogue joystick to get, but I got 100% in the end. WIsh the cutscenes were skippable, but a good fun encounter all round.

Borderlands 3: Got all the DLC, or rather I had (*). So I was switching to DLC end of things, doing some of that, main story and back again. In a way, that didn’t help. I completely the main, and was more of the normal same with BL franchise. Driving. Shooting. Lots of different guns. But the DLC mixed in kind of made me lose the plot. Basically too much of it, I fizzled out in one of the DLCs, and left it there. I’ll probably go back and finish that off when played too much of another genre too much. Definitely worth it, but sort of too much.

(*) They released a new season pass: season 2, which meant I had to pay for the DLC again having what I thought “bought it all”. Irked me a bit.

Metro: Exodus: Rays of hope in the doomed and depressing post apocalypse world. Slow going, but that’s what you want sometimes, I do like a good gas compressed crossbow and a slow knock-em-out approach. I left the DLC for this till later, to get a taste of the old game again.

Assassins Creed: Odyssey. The first serious attempt at an Assassins creed game, apart from the first one years ago on the PS3, which I dabbled with for a few hours. I really enjoyed it, it was a different way to go in the general sneak em up trilogy as a format, but I ended up murdering everyone by default. I did feel as if I knew Greece much more than I used to, the islands. Realised there was obvious DLC missing, and bought it. It felt like that DLC was the other half of the main game, much more than BL3, which were distinct additions to a long game.

Super Hot: Nice and short. Excellent idea, executed very well and compelling addictive: you’ve started the level again purely because your hands did it for you. I suspect I will be dipping into this one occasionally for years to come.

Monaco: A little puzzler, which was fun, not completed it, but I intend to. I picked it up cheap from a game shop years ago.

Doom Eternal: An improvement on the last Doom, which I thought wasn’t possible. I think I got all the secrets done in the end, but it seems so long ago. Like a good face kill em all game sometimes.

Far Cry Primal: A nice twist on the format. Seemed like an expansion more than anything, but once I got the boy, it felt like any other Far Cry game. I didn’t bother with much of the completionist ends of things. Some of the rare skins seems to be based on rares in areas which never appeared, so I got bored with that.

Far Cry New Dawn: Also felt like an expansion over a new game. I ended up disappointed it was only a third of the size of Far Cry 5, given they largely had the map there already. Still, Far Cry 5: a reboot, really.

Thief: I binned this about three years ago. Always loved the Hitman and Thief games, played them for so many years, but this one didn’t take for some reason. Too many animated joins. I just got bored and forgot to play originally. Played a lot further into it, it’s not complete, but I do intend to go back.

World of Warcraft, new expansion. Back to grind that grind. Boring, yet I keep coming back.

DLC

Borderlands: I bought some DLC and replayed the original game before it. Enjoyed that again, and the DLC went down well too. I tried going to BL2 (all avoiding buying BL3), and I got bored with that one quite quickly for some reason. Not sure why.

Batman Arkham origins: Cold cold heart. One of the classic DLCs I missed. Nice to pop back into the world of Batman for a bit. Maybe Asylum will get played again.

Bioshock 2: Minerva’s Den. One of the ones I missed back in the day, so I got the remastered one and the DLC. Good stuff, and I do like that old underwater world.

World of Warcraft, new expansion. Back to grind that grind. Boring, yet I keep coming back.

Partially played, not completed:

Crysis 2: I’ve not idea why I sort can’t connect to games like this and Halo. Something doesn’t work for me. I played a few levels. But then I just stop. I did the same with Crysis 1.

Just Cause 2: After people recommending this, or rather the later ones, I bought this one cheaply. Put a few hours in, steam says 15, and I hated it for some reason. Something kept annoying me, but I can’t remember what. I eventually just went “I hate this game” and dropped it.

Nier: Automata: I tried this one before, on a slower pc. And got killed before the first save point an hour in about three times in and binned it. Finally with a new PC, and less slowdowns, I got to the first save game and in effect the main game. When I just stalled talking to a bunch of people. And got bored. The pacing is weird. I suspect you have to LOVE anime.

I hated that DLC and I played all of the first 3 games’ DLC’s(I own Arkham Knight, but did they ever fix it for PC. It ran horribly on mine years ago).

I think it was mainly the final boss fight in the game was really annoying.

However, I am odd in that I found Origins to be perhaps the best game of the series up to that point.

They seemed to have fixed Arkham Knight when I bought it. The driving was a bit slow on older PC, but I tweaked the settings lower and it worked largely fine.

I googled the youtube final boss fight, and while I remember it being a bit annoying, it was doable after a few attempts, so not that bad. I did play it about 8 years after its release though.

I think the general consensus seemed to be that City was the best, with Origins lower and Knight the worst. Not sure if Asylum was second but it was my personal favourite. The secrets were doable, in the larger city it was much more annoying finding all the extra bits spread across a much larger territory. I recognise that City could be deemed better if you wanted a bigger world, but I preferred the storyline and the tightness of Asylum, it could also be the novelty of the comic brought to life so well, it seemed to feature most of the villains very well…

It was, sort of. It retailed for less than a full Far Cry game and they were open with the fact that it wasn’t a fully fledged game on the same scale as the rest but rather a (stand alone) epilogue type experience to Far Cry 5

LOL, I wish the edit window was longer. I meant the BOW here.

I haven’t been gaming for a super long time, but I do play some games on my PC. In 2020, I got into GTAV Online. Recently, RDR2 online. I currently have a dedicated server for Valheim and Ark SE. I’ve been playing a ton of Ark. Valheim is a good builder, but a meh game.

Yeah, it’s beautiful and even plays well, but something about it overall is just… meh. I feel like it wouldn’t be out of place on an Aldi shelf, just labeled “FPS.” I mean, it’s a quality product and it gets the job done, but it’s completely generic.

I agree, interesting thread.

Divinity 2: Original Sin. Strong characters, interesting choices, endless jumpbash combats. Got to the final boss and uninstalled after endless frustrating attempts. Hated going back and respecking to get good prices, sell everything, buy new stuff, respec again into combat, do this after every level.

Wasteland 3: Actually the first wasteland game I played–I appreciated its parallels and its less fantastic contrast to Fallout. Beat it on 2nd difficulty, not sure that the game has a lot of replayability.

Victoria 2: Fun. Try to take a nation that’s not #1 in the world and get them be #1–so, the US annexed Mexico (win) and been trying to get Prussia to become Hyperdeutschland. Still learning and getting better at it–the game’s more narrow time focus and harder conditions to destroy nations makes it probably the best nation building game I’ve played.

Talisman PC Edition: Good for a pickup game with friends and a good compstomp of AI. Some of the expansions just suck, however, so some quality concerns.

Gloomhaven PC Edition: Still in beta, still beautiful. Deep thinking game, some MP, some single player.

Fallen Enchantress: Ehhh. Fun to beat up the computer, computer surrenders and starts working for you, congratulations, your pyramid scheme has toppled the world. Had a lot of potential but this is no…

Master of Magic: This classic game is still fun, although I don’t remember the AI wizards basically being in a constant state of jihad against you.

Lord of the Rings Card Game: This is a fun one, albeit one where the AI has advantages and plays dimly. Cleared all the missions but not going for completionist style effort on this.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla: You might say I was rather engrossed in this one.

Judging strictly on technical merits, I’d rate it maybe a borderline 6/10. It’s a big world and there’s a whole lot to do. While the enemies in the more difficult areas take and dish out more damage, that’s the only thing making them harder; as long as you’re gaining levels and gear, you should be fine. Visually it’s very impressive, and some areas are breathtaking in their beauty. Probably its biggest failing is that unlike the best AC games, you don’t really get to change your environment in a positive way. The wilderness will always be full of dangerous predators, hostile towns remain hostile, bandit camps always fill back up, conquered castles are basically big useless lumps of stone. If you got a rush from rebuilding Rome in Brotherhood or crushing enemy fortresses in Black Flag, you might find this disappointing. If you’re the type of player who enjoys checking off accomplishments, you definitely want this.

What else…I just started DuckLife Adventure, and it looks like it could be fun. And I’ve played Wordscapes for several months and it’s been really good, just the right mix of effort and reward. (Hey! Don’t knock mobile games! They’re not all ripoffs! :slight_smile:)

I disliked this game, intensely, even though I eventually finished it (once). Robots who look like 15-year-olds in fetish gear shaking their butts around a blasted landscape wondering if other robots who look like Fisher Price Little People have souls. Nothing made sense, and half the time it was a side-scroller. I hate side-scrollers.

Good music, though.

Yep. The annoying thing is, that before playing the game I had read reviews that suggested that the story would be both intensely moving and philosophically profound. Instead, there was just hours of the protagonists – who are themselves androids – handwaving the obvious sentience of the other androids.
(I don’t consider these spoilers, as this is the theme right from the very start.)

I’ve beat it a second time since my earlier review. Note that the second time is not actually a repeat; it starts out looking like a repeat of the same game but actually the story diverges a lot.
And there must be a lot of content still to see after the second playthrough, but we’re already in “shame on me” territory.

Oh and agree about the music, it’s fantastic IMO.

I just saw that the Humankind release was pushed back until August. While that is disappointing I am hoping they don’t want to repeat the issues faced by other devs when they shipped a game too some.

I started back up with Elite Dangerous after a many year hiatus, and that is what I have been playing with ever since.
I feel bad I didn’t spend time on KSP and have a hankering to get back and see how Planetside 2 has been comming along.
On my phone I did a fair bit of world of warships which I also downloaded on the kids PS4 , spent too long on Nova empire as well.

Persona 5 - I am at the boss of the first palace and jeez, I can’t stand this game. I am generally not a fan of the games that require ‘save points’. And the fight mechanic just seems to cause endless annoyance with me. Not to mention the graphics are generally worse than the other PlayStation Plus Collection games I’ve played. That’s a no for me.

What system? That is actually a PS3 game, though it dropped with the PS4 as well and people often associate it with that machine.

PS5

The lack of a PS4Pro upgrade really shows after playing Last of Us Remastered which received one.

Yeah, and again, it was a PS3 game that they released on PS4.