What's For Dinner Tonight: Episode 2021 – A New Hope

Bodega sandwiches and fried plantains. I also polished off the rest of my last Aero bar. I love those and wish I could buy them here instead of having to order them from a specialty store.

Spaghetti-Os with meatballs (comfort food from my childhood) sprinkled with grated parmesan, a piece of garlic toast, and a glass of ice water. For afters, a warm homemade blueberry tart with vanilla ice cream.

It was pan fried salmon with a honey/orange/soy sauce /hab jelly sauce, served with rice and Chardonnay.
It has cooled down enough that we could cook and eat outside in the evening, but the mozzis are out in force so an accompanying tang of Off.

Orange Beef with rice and spicy chicken egg rolls.

Food truck tri-tip steak sandwich with rosemary aioli.

Same thing as last night, just to polish it off and because it’s really good: stuffed eggplant on toasted crystal bread. I’d call it an open-faced sandwich, but it’s more like ersatz pizza to me, because it’s about as close as I can get to pizza without an oven. The twist I discovered last night is to add chopped capers and black olives, basil and oregano to the tomato sauce that’s spread on the toasted bread. Really perks it up and adds a unique flavor.

Tonight will be crab cakes, corn on the cob, biscuits and watermelon.

Chili with beans, BBQ chicken and rice, cornbread muffins, and a glass of ice water. Later, Oreos and a glass of cold milk.

Spaghettini made with the lovely semplice pasta sauce I rave about, but I’m going to forego meatballs and go for authentic simplicity tonight. Cooked al dente and sprinkled generously with fresh-grated Parmesan, and encircled with cremini mushrooms sauteed in garlic butter. Accompanied by a gallon or two of Spanish Tempranillo Merlot. :wink:

My carnivorous tendencies were satisfied by a roast turkey sandwich earlier today.

Ham with a Vermont maple horseradish mustard I love, cheese pierogis, and a glass of ice water. Later, Oreos and a glass of cold milk.

Basically, this recipe for pork katsu sandwiches, but we substitute togarashi and some salt for the shio koji. Come to think of it, we’ve done that so many times, I almost don’t remember what it tastes like made with the shio koji. I’ll need to get off my butt and go get some the next time we decide to make them.

Either way, it makes us wonder why deep fried pork chop sandwiches aren’t more popular. I personally think it beats any chicken fried steak sandwich by miles.

Fries spiced with more salt and togarashi on the side, an All Day IPA for a beverage, and some Kuiper Belt bourbon for dessert.

Last night was ribs!

My gf’s brother came to visit from Vermont. He is staying with her other brother in Dawson, PA. The Dawson bro is into smoking big time. He prepared three racks of ribs that cooked from sunrise to sunset. Delicious!!!

Cigar City IPA assortment to drink.

Baked sausages often turn out more flavourful than grilled ones, provided they’re browned first. Last night I had some delicious chicken and veal sausages with tarragon, browned on the grill, then put in a casserole dish on a bed of coarsely chopped white onion, coated them with tomato sauce, and put in 350-deg oven for about 40 minutes. Meanwhile made rice with vegetable broth and dried porcini mushrooms.

When done, I removed sausages and put the rice in the casserole dish and mixed it with the onions and sausage brownings. The rice and sausages made what was basically a lovely paella. Turned out even better than I expected. Definitely doing this again soon. I have a few more of the sausages still frozen.

I made my usual hummus, then added black beans (half mashed, half whole), minced cilantro, and minced jalapeños (some raw, some pickled), and lime juice. Will make again.

Served as a side with pulled pork roll-ups.

Last night was a Reuben with cole slaw.

I found some Jalapeño and Pepper Jack Cheese Sausage and decided to give it a try. It was yummy as a protein for my salad.

Chocolate Mousse for dessert.

Poke Bowls!!

I started out thinking about making Tilapia Ceviche as an appetizer, but was floundering about a main course. So, I made a bed of rice and mixed spring greens and put the ceviche over that along with some avocado, minced scallions, edamame, pistachios, snipped nori, and furikake.

Two bottles of Pinot Grigio disappeared along with the poke.

Sounds fishy to me.

My cod! I Hake those sort of mysteries .

Home made pizza, a St Arnolds H-Town pils when prep and cooking, boxed Chardonnay when eating.

Movie watching is The Founder , Michael Keaton as someone who had something to do with McDonalds , so a kind of food themed movie .

Tossed salad with a raspberry vinaigrette, spicy grilled chicken, a baked potato with sour cream and bacon bits, an IPA and a glass of ice water. Later, some Skittles.