What's For Dinner Tonight: Episode 2021 – A New Hope

Tuna Ceviche and coleslaw. Eating a heckuva lot of fish lately.

Splurged on 2 Waygu ribeyes. Like buttah

Faux meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

A turkey ham-loaf from the turkey store and ground cauliflower and garlic “mashed potatoes”. Delicious! By choice, not for health reasons.

For dessert peach pie. An Australian Shiraz to drink.

We had fried catfish along with corn fritters and a tossed salad.

Steak sandwich: ribeye steak, caramelized onions & gorgonzola on toasted ciabatta with lemon horseradish aioli. And mixed salad. It was superb!

Elotes from a stand at the gas station, with El Chingon to drink.

needscoffee, you had me at gorgonzola.

I’ve been on a cheeseburger binge lately. My local supermarket sells really good quality beef burgers with cheese and other ingredients already mixed in. The one I had tonight had cheddar cheese and bacon in it. I fried it up with a little salt and fresh ground pepper. And then I made a sandwich with pickled onions, roast red pepper, and Whataburger spicy ketchup on a multigrain bun. It was delicious.

Grilled shish-kabob made with teriyaki marinated turkey, red bell pepper, onion, pineapple, and cherry tomatoes. Served with salads. Pinot Grigio to drink.

Did a different breakfast this morning. I found a beautiful, perfect, puffball mushroom this morning. I sliced and peeled a thick round, coated it with breadcrumbs, then pan-fried it golden brown.

Topped that with some smoked salmon. Topped that with a freshly laid then cooked sunny side up egg. Garnished with purple basil.

Totally made this recipe up, would definitely make again.

Tonight we finally managed to go grocery shopping - we have a ridiculous amount of garden veggies already, but needed a few pantry staples and some hunk of protein for dinner that wasn’t frozen solid. So I made a sort of fresh salsa-ish topping to put on a hunk of seared swordfish: fresh garden tomatoes, garden basil, S&P, fresh garlic, and a drizzle each of olive oil and balsamic. To be eaten with basmati and steamed purple beans from the garden (which, disappointingly, lose their lovely bright purple color and turn olive green, but are still completely delicious).

Just stuffed shells, a salad and some garlic bread here tonight, but I committed the day to making some of Anthony Bourdain’s Dark Universal Stock. To do that, I hauled several rotisserie chicken carcasses out of the freezer last night and roasted them this morning along with the mirepoix. After simmering all day, it smells very, very chickeny in here.

I didn’t have time or energy to cook from scratch, so I heated up a pre-made chicken tamale (in red sauce). A co-worker gave me a jar of honey from her family’s blackberry pasture and I decided to try drizzling a little honey on the masa corn tamale, similar to a chicken waffle or a corn fritter. It was excellent!

Mm, that does sound pretty good.

Last night was brats served on bolillo rolls (I like their chewy-ness) with mustard and onions, tonight was leftover brats.

Right now I’m sipping on a lazy-pseudo-ersatz pho broth I’ve figured out (boxed chicken stock, doctored up with hoisin, minced jarred garlic, cilantro-in-a-squeeze-tube, and some of that amazing “chili crisp” stuff) since real pho right now for me involves a long drive (100min+ round trip) and they’re closed by the time I’m off work anyway.

Shortly, I’ll have a chicken pot pie that’s been baking up. It’s frozen/boxed, but at least I had the leisure to use the oven tonight, instead of Chef Mike.

I’ve been in the mood for Chana Masala. I needed something for my recipe so I stopped at the grocery store….where I saw very nice looking scallops. I bought just two of them.

So, I served as an appetizer a scallop cut in very thin slices, then marinated for just a minute or two in lime juice and a minced habanero pepper. Not sashimi, not ceviche, but somewhere in between.

My gf swooned over the appetizer. When I served the Chana Masala over rice she was confused. Everything was delicious, just mismatched.

Last night I made a brisket on a rack, slow-cooked in the oven with Liquid Smoke in some water in the bottom of the pan. Sealed it all up with foil and baked at 250° for 3-1/2 hours. (It was only 3 pounds.) My husband LOVED it. Me - meh. I don’t like brisket much.

The best meal I’ve made recently (Friday) was stir-fried noodles based on these guys’ recipe. SO GOOD! We ate all the leftovers on Saturday.

Tonight will be Kung pao chicken. Or Kung pao shrimp. Haven’t decided which yet.

After making the fried rice and the stir-fried noodles recently, I ordered a wok! Kung Pao sounds amazing.

Just for something a bit unusual, another go at Spaghetti Aglio e Olio. This time determined not to overtoast the minced garlic (authentic recipe calls for garlic cloves). Will make it with Provençal garlic butter and fresh-grated Parmesan as before, and bits of parsley. The garlic butter is fantastic stuff but not garlicky enough for a proper Spaghetti Aglio e Olio, hence the minced garlic. I’m wondering whether to throw in some precooked bacon for a sort of spaghetti carbonara vibe.