What's For Dinner Tonight: Episode 2021 – A New Hope

I made Pollo Guisado in my crockpot. Used ingredients I’ve never used before, left the potatoes out, added Goya brand pintos, we are it over white rice. Good!!!

Big salads. Romaine, green apples, walnuts, raisins, grilled chicken, vinaigrette dressing. Carbonated water to drink.

Repeat of the big salads. Forgot to mention the Gorgonzola cheese, mmmm.

My gf dropped 3 pounds this week after noting a gain of two, so she’s happy. Back to our usual menu.

We ordered a Deluxe pizza from a Mom-n-Pop joint. Delicious! And breakfast is pre-made. :pizza:

I made salmorejo with the last of the garden’s tomatoes and topped mine with anchovies, hard boiled egg and red onion. My wife topped hers with bacon, egg, onion and peppers. With a bottle of red wine.

I make an Andalusian gazpacho that has bread in it. Sounds very similar except for the toppings.

It’s a great summer recipe when you don’t feel like working over a stove.

Crunchy peanut butter and Smucker’s raspberry jelly on open-face whole wheat, a couple of slices of sharp cheddar cheese, a kosher dill pickle, some Smartfood cheese popcorn and a glass of ice water. Later, a chilled glass of homemade chocolate mousse with whipped cream and just a wee bit o’ cinnamon on top.

Tonight: something I picked up labeled “tequila and jalapeno marinated beef sirloin kabobs”. All I know is it looks good, and the last time I picked up store-marinated beef kabobs, they were marinated in red wine and spices and were absolutely wonderful off the grill.

Also, since it’s supposed to be hot today and I plan to sit around drinking margaritas all day, the “tequila” part of the marinade sounds good! Will probably make some of my porcini mushroom and vegetable rice to have with it.

Halibut puttanesca over spaghetti, salad and a nice bottle of wine.

Pulled pork tonight and for the next couple of days. I’ll fire up the smoker in about an hour.

Takeout slab of lightly smoked, tender brisket with roasted broccoli and cauliflower.

I helped my BIL smoke two racks of ribs for his annual picnic. My contribution was a BLT Pasta Salad. It was a regular pasta salad with the addition of bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes. A great idea in theory, but I don’t know if I’ll make it again.

Tonight we had fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and fresh cut fries!

Reheated leftover ribs, grilled corn on the cob, tomato salads.

Tonights dinner was very special. My Mom had her 77th Birthday this past Wednesday. Tonight my 19 year old son and his girl made us filled shells to celebrate. I provided garlic bread and his brother baked that but the rest he did himself. We had a fantastic meal and even better time!

Tonight will be chicken curry again, with thai chilies from our garden. I’m excited!

I watched a video on how to make authentic Chinese Fried Rice. I was intrigued, so I went to the Asian market and was overwhelmed! I bought a lot of ingredients, especially produce, that I can’t get at Kroger. :slight_smile:

Best damn fried rice I ever ate. Seriously. We ate it with teriyaki Spam, believe it or not. The fried rice was the star for me, though. Me Rebo loved the Spam. :roll_eyes:

Later this week I will make Vegetable Lo Mein.

Now I’m craving fried rice. Last night I cooked salmon on the grill. Served with potato salad. A New Belgium Hazy IPA to drink.

Tonight will be a store-made pizza that I’ve figured out how to bake for something amazingly close to a good pizzeria pizza. It involves (a) completely ignoring the instructions, (b) partial baking on a perforated pizza pan, and (c) then moving directly to a hot pizza stone over parchment paper. As always, the trick is to get the crust right, and this produces a thick crust that is browned and crusty on the bottom, but soft and bready inside, just the way I like it.

On this occasion they only had plain ones – just cheese, or cheese and pepperoni. I got the pepperoni one with lots of cheese and am adding green pepper, mushrooms, chopped white onion, and thinly sliced tomato seasoned with garlic.

The local Chinese takeout makes a variety of fantastic Lo Mein. It’s my second-favourite dish after their incredible Singapore Noodles.