What's it called: paintings you stand behind and stick your face in

Sorry, don’t know how else to describe them. They are usually painted on plywood, sometimes they’re more sculptural. They usually have cartoony people painted on the, but where the faces are supposed to be is a hole and you’r supposed to stand behind it and put your face their so you’re the character.

Here is an example.

Do these things have a name?

I’ve seen them called “your face here” cutouts, or just cardboard cutouts.

According to this http://www.ecievents.net/Photography/Entertainment_Connection_Photo_Novelties.htm they are called “Carnival Funny Photos”. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page…

Comic foregrounds


AFAICT, “standee” in the sense of “life-size standalone photo portrait” generally refers to an image of some celebrity with that celebrity’s own face attached. Not to a life-size portrait setting with a “your face here” hole cut in it, which seems to be what the OP is referring to.

From dictionary.com:

What the OP’s talking about would have to be called a “paste your face (or place your face) standee” (although that seems to refer more to a custom-made standee incorporating a photo of the individual’s face rather than a cutout with a face-shaped hole in it). Or better, a “faceless standee”.

Sorry, to have abandoned the thread - got unexpectedly busy.

Thanks! “Cutout” is probably it because it would be appropriate for a canvas backdrop as well as wood or cardboard versions.

“Carnival Funny Photo” sounds like something a company would make up because they don’t know what they’re called either. And it makes me think more of those funny photos where you dress up as a cowboy or gangster and get photographed in a fake “vintage B&W setting.”

Well now THAT I do know the word for: The yellowish, old timey looking photographs are “sepia” toned.


A Google search seems to indicate that is a French word with no English equivalent, even when I try to translate it (closest is “billboard with a face cut-out”).

Also, note the date of the last post; its annoying when people revive an old thread just to post (and why did you sign up just to do so?).

As it happens, this thing (whatever you want to call it) happens to have been part of one of the biggest TV disasters of all time. It was a show that was so bad that it was cancelled after the first episode. The host of the show (Jackie Gleason) filled up the time period the next week just in apologizing for how bad the show was. I looked up a bunch of websites about the show in hopes that it would give me the name for this item. There doesn’t seem to be any very standard name. One name they are called is carnival cardboard cutouts, although I don’t think they are usually made of cardboard. Here’s some websites about the show:





Given that we’re fighting ignorance here, and this is General Questions, what’s it to you that someone who has an answer to some old, undisclosed question shows up here? People have all kinds of motives to sign up, their reasons are completely irrelevant. It’s not like we are discussing personal IMHO issues or current hot-button politics in this case, anyway.

Sorry for the hijack.

I can’t find any evidence that the French word “tintamarresque” means anything like what we’re talking about. In fact, it’s not even a noun. It’s an adjective in French:


The -esque suffix means it’s an adjective. Google translates tintamarre as “hurly-burly”, so tintamarresque would be the adjective form of that. Hurly-burly-esque.

That’s nice, but where’s the proof that either the noun or the adjective mean anything connected with the subject of this thread?

I’m pretty sure they don’t.

So what was the point of your post (#14)? I said that it was an adjective. The link that I had in my point gave the definition in French, and it was clear from it that neither it nor the noun it was derived from had anything to do with the subject of the thread. What point were you making with your post?

He’s just being timtamarresque.

That you were correct? Jeez, I didn’t know I had to be disagreeing to reply.

a lot must annoy you then.

the facts are never out of style.