What's your Christmas Music Threshold?

I voted four weeks, assuming that’s the total time, not the time prior to Christmas, but the OP didn’t say. Also, surprised there weren’t more options between 4 weeks and year round. At least one radio station started playing Christmas music Nov. 1st. That’s about 8 weeks before Christmas. Throw in the week until New Years, and you get nine weeks.

I’m OK with any of it up 'til the 1st parody of 12 Days.

I feel this way as well. I was having lunch in a restaurant the day before (BEFORE!!!) Thanksgiving and they switched from playing classic rock to Christmas music while I was eating. I finished my meal quickly and left.

I voted none. There are a handful of songs I like (fer example the Trans Siberian orchestra does some nice instrumental carols). The rest I hate with a passion.

I like having it playing while we drive around looking at light displays. We do that once or twice before Christmas. I like hearing them on Christmas eve, preferably instrumentals. By around noon Christmas day I’m done.

Elvis’ Blue Christmas should play on an endless loop in every store across the globe from November 27th until January 1st.

Ditto for the one week or less. That applies to traditional songs decently sung; smarmy carols blasting in CVS make me want to steal a gun just so that I can shoot the loudspeaker. As I like to say, it’s the most miserable time of the year.

Depends on the tunes but in a general background music sense, about 3 weeks.

I don’t mind them. I’m not a fan of the kitschy ones, but the classical vocal ones I enjoy as long as they are performer by a good singer. I’m talking about ones like “O Holy Night,” “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas,” “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire,” “Silent Night,” “Do You Hear What I Hear?” etc.

I went with 4 weeks, which is about how early I start practicing playing them. But, if used sparingly enough, I can pretty much love them year 'round. The only problem I have is a particular song being repetitive, but there’s enough out there to work it all year.

A week or less for anything with vocals regardless of how good. No more than two weeks for anything else. What I don’t get is why they must play that stuff exclusively! Mix it up and people might smile a bit when they hear it.

I love Christmas music, but only that of my own choice, which is not what they play in the stores or on the radio. I would be thrilled if they would cut that out and just let us all play what we want, when we want.

Sometimes I put on a Christmas CD in July or August just 'cause I want to.

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.

I don’t particularly mind it as musak when I’m shopping, since I’m usually in and out pretty quickly. It gets to me real fast when I’m stuck having to listen to it–like yesterday when I was getting a hair cut or at a restaurant. Someone in my office has been playing her Xmas CDs just a little too loud…I would complain, but she happens to be my boss.

One of the things I have done for money in the past is Christmas caroling, better known as ‘Carols for Cash’. You know, the folks in faux Victorian costumes who saunter through the malls singing? That was me.

One year, particularly desperate for cash, I asked to be put on every available gig, as well as on the top of the Sub. list. The person who ran the carolers liked me, and so it was done. My first gig was sometime in early November. By the time December 1st rolled around, I was singing 3 three-hour gigs a day, and it stayed that way until Christmas. I think I lost the will to live somewhere around Nov. 21st. I made around $10,000. in the two months of November and December, but it cost me my tolerance for Christmas music.

Long story, which I may have shared on the message board before; sorry! We were caroling outdoors one afternoon in the Bloor Street/Royal York Road neighbourhood. On our first coffee break, a woman asked if we would be willing to come to her house and sing Christmas carols for her mother, who was bed-ridden. Quick vote around the group - yeah, the house is around the corner and we could make this one our short coffee break, sing for this lady’s mother on the long coffee break, and no worries. We’re not exactly supposed to do this sort of thing, though we are encouraged to go out of our way to make ourselves appreciated. In that spirit, we head up to her house on the next break.

Bedridden didn’t exactly cover it - the woman’s mother was in some sort of palliative home care situation, and didn’t look like the prognosis was good for her to survive until Christmas. We started singing, and the look of pain and struggle vanished from her face. We sang for her and her family for about 25 minutes, way more than we had intended. Finally, we started to leave.

As we were leaving, the woman went to pay us - I said “No, we didn’t come up here to be paid; we came as a favour. If you really feel that what we just did here was worth money, then give what you feel is proper to your mother’s favourite charity, or the church, or whatever is appropriate. From my perspective, you’ve made something I’ve been doing as a hated day job seem worthwhile, and that’s worth far more to me.” And true enough, the thought of the mother’s face lighting up got me through the next two weeks of singing ‘Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer’…

I can take singing Christmas carols with my family, but my tolerance for Christmas muzak is minimal.

I guess I’m an anomaly. I start listening to it after Thanksgiving dinner, and don’t turn it off until Boxing day. And I love any and all Christmas music: old chestnuts, new-age, new-wave, jazz, rock, blues, crooners, hymns, and Dr. Demento-type parodies.

Oh, I found the brains of Santa Claus underneath my bed
They smell like dried up tuna and look more grey than red

I love Christmas music. Anytime in December is good for me.

Being in any kind of commercial establishment between Thanksgiving and Christmas makes me want to bang my head to a bloody pulp against the wall. Or someone else’s. It’s not the Christmas part, per se, it’s that awful shmaltzy old-fashioned… aaagh!

I can take it for six or eight weeks, provided that it’s good stuff. Unfortunately, most of the Christmas music out there isn’t good stuff. My threshold for, say, “Feliz Navidad” is as long as it takes me to change the channel.