What's your favorite Far Side?

two old guys fishing, with some nuclear mushroom clouds in the backround
“you know what this means Ed, no size restrictions and screw the limit”

knuckle-dragging hose mongerer.
SDMB Self-Righteous Clique

My favorite is the cave men sittig around an animal carcass and one is about to eat some plant. The caveman next to him stops him and says
"No, no, Grak, no eat parsley… Just for pretty." that one busts me up every time.

how did it start? well i don’t know i just feel the craving. i see the flesh and it smells fresh and it’s just there for the taking…
VvvV
“Winners never quit and quitters never win, but those who never win and never quit are idiots.”

Gary Larson for President!

My favorite would be, and I’m suprised that it’s not been mentioned so far:

Old lady is yelling out her livingroom window for her pet poodle, Fifi, to come busting through the doggy door.

“Faster Fifi, faster!!”

She has braced the doggy door closed with a board

“If we submit everything to reason, our religion will have no mysterious or supernatural element. If we offend the principles of reason, our religion will be absurd and ridiculous.” Blaise Pascal

Both of my favorites involve couches. (?) These captions are from memory, so they may be flawed.

1.The frumpy wife has taken all the cushions off the couch so she can vacuum out all the trash that eventually collects in there. Crammed down in the back and peering out at her is a man’s head. “Harold! So that’s where you’ve been. And there’s my old hairbrush!”

2.All the cushions have been taken off the couch and assembled into a structure in the middle of the living room. A man’s bespectacled face pokes out. His wife is telling him, “You can rebuild the fort later, Henry. The Smiths are coming over to visit and I need the cushions.”

I’ve never seen the cartoons NickyLarson mentions; I thought I’d seen every Far Side a jillion times. Those were hilarious.

My favorite cartoon is set in an airline cockpit.

Outside the cockpit window, surrounded by clouds, you can see a mountain-goat looking at the plane.

The co-pilot says to the pilot: "How’d that mountain goat get way up here?

When potato salad goes bad

night of the crash test dummies

Mr and Mrs potato head in France

Another great thread.

My two faves are:
Where the professor invents the machine to translate what dog are really saying. “hey! hey! hey! hey! hey!”

The one where two scientists are giggling because they’ve put a sign on the third scientist’s back. Instead of saying something like “kick me”, it has a scientific formula on it.

Enright3

VB

“Rudyard Kipling?”

“Don’t know; I’ve never Kippled!”

My three favorites are historical ones:

Washington Crossing the Street - setting the famous crossing the Delaware group shot in a crosswalk

Custer’s last view - showing a circle of Indians waving tomahawks, etc. grinning down

Moby Dick - first draft - showing Melville sitting at desk with wadded up pieces of paper around him with words like “Call me Frank” and “Call me Tom” on them.

• Bummer of a birthmark, Hal*

(Deer with bullseye on chest)

The Real Reason Dinosaurs Are Extinct

(Group of Dinos smoking)

I love the one with that dorky kid with the glasses.

And the cows! The one with the cows is classic!

Oh! Oh! And the one where the scientist says somthing funny!

But my absolute favorite is that one with the cavemen – that’s so funny!

…but when you get blue, and you’ve lost all your dreams, there’s nothing like a campfire and a can of beans!

The “Far Side” is the most brilliant comic strip ever.

My favs:

“The Boneless Chicken Farm”

with all the formless chickens walking around.

“How Nature says ‘Do not touch’”

Four frames . In one is a blowfish, another, a snake, another, I forget what, but the last one has a guy standing on the corner with a trenchcoat on, a shoe on his head, an inflatable pool toy that looks like a duck around his waist, and a bazooka.

“Birds of Prey Know They’re Cool.”

Falcons sitting on tree branches wearing sunglasses, with Walkmans grasped in their talons.

The one where Satan says to another devil, “This guy just doesn’t get it”. Meanwhile there’s this guy in front of them pushing a wheelbarrow, sweating his ass off, while whistling a happy tune.

The one that shows a cheetah sitting on a rock, strapping on some track cleats with a herd of gazelle grazing on the horizon.

Finally, the one where God is on a gameshow, and his score reads like, 1,000,000 points and the other two contestants have nothing.

[Long pointless story] When I had my gallbladder removed, I went into surgery with a pound of Hershey’s miniature bars and a Far Side cartoon tucked under my gown where the surgeons would find it.

The Far Side cartoon was a group of surgeons working on a patient. A squiggly looking organ goes “FWWINNGG!” over their heads, and one of the surgeons says “Someone remember where that lands.” By the cartoon, I wrote: “Please be very careful.”

The candy was apparently a big hit. The anesthesiologist hogged all the Special Darks, and one of the nurses had some Crackle bars.[/Long Pointless Story]

Way too many great ones to declare one favorite, including many of those already mentioned here…but here are a few that hadn’t been mentioned before this:

Caveman sitting atop a huge contraption looking through at a mammoth through a hollowed-out log, declaring “It’s a mammoth.” Caption: Early microscopes.

Caveman with device in mouth crushed in one of a trail of mammoth footprints. Caption: 100,000 BC: Gak Eisenberg invents the first and only silent mammoth whistle.

And this one is from the book, “Pre-History of the Far Side”, a cartoon that apparently was drawn by Larson for a pre-Far Side feature: Dorothy, Tin Man, Scarecrow and Lion are standing at the entrance to Doctor Frankenstein’s castle, and Dr. Frankenstein says, “Sorry, I just used my last heart and brain…maybe try the wizard down the road.”

Man, I miss that strip. But he was running low on inspiration toward the end, and it was probably right of him to pull the plug when he did.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@kozmo.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Two old dogs in rocking chairs on the porch.
One dog says to the other, “Look at those young puppies playing with their shiny new toys. Back when I was a pup all we had to play with was an old dead cat’s head.”

Two lion sitting around a carcass. One says to the other, “Remember the time we were telling tiger jokes and that antelope bone came shooting out your nose?”

Second favorite: Dorky kid in glasses has some bugs in a jar, and on the window sill is a picket line of bugs with signs reading “Free the Mayonaise Jar 7”.

Absolute favorite: Panel 1: two owls sitting on a branch facing away from us. Panel 2: one of the owls reaches over the other and taps him on the opposite shoulder. Panel 3: tapped owl with head turned around backwards (rotated 180 degrees in the direction he was tapped). Genius.

Sound guy reaching for a knob marked “Suck”, “Edgar’s last night with the band”

My favorite is the second one down in the second column.

http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/parkstreet/8/tiffanyg.html

I also like one where the show a fish with balloons tied to him zooming to the surface of a lake. The caption reads: They have sent Charlie to “sleep with the humans”.

For some reason the mob ones crack me up.

“It’s like banging your head against a wall because it feels so good when you stop.”

Police entering a room full of dead cats. A microscope and blackboard full of formulas (formulae for you purists)are visible: “Notice all the computations, theoretical scribblings and lab equipment, Norm…yes, curiosity killed these cats”

Numerous other favorites were mentioned above.

SDMB’s oldest living female!
Acclaimed author of: No Bad Brontosauri
365 Ways to Cook Sabertooth Tiger
The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Wheel