What's your favorite region of the brain?

In a world of funny names we have both the Inferior and Superior Olives; the colour coded areas RedNucleus and Substantianigra; sops to ancient architecture like the Pyramids and the Cerebral Aqueduct; and finally in our Primary Visual Cortex there’s cylindrical columns, that stretch deep through many of our neocortical layers, which are called… Blobs. Hilarious. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget globs as well.

Forget? Prior to your post I had no knowledge of the existence of “globs”. Good one. I guess my Neuroanatomy training is getting stale…

Only dates back to 2007 or so, and in my experience not terribly well known (e.g. textbooks just started reporting it). Pretty much blobs, except in visual association instead of V1. Maybe someday we’ll find “knobs” or something in the visual stream further down. Be the first to name them!

Hippocampus. Cause it’s like a school. For hippos.

I like the idea of the Superior Olive.

But seriously, how do they know? I bet it doesn’t taste any better than a regular olive.

Actually, it’s cool even without the pun. Hippocampus is Latin for “Seahorse”, which is what it kinda resembles:

Also, amygdala means “almond,” cerebellum is “little brain” (not that one), medulla oblongata means “oblong marrow,” cauda equine is “horse’ tail,” etc.

Another part is the mammillary bodies. Yes, so named because they look like boobs.

drops in on a bungee cord singing

‘Brain stem! Brain stem!’

(Sorry, hadta.)

Betcha it goes great with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Prefrontal cortex. I use that junk all the time.