What's your TLR (theatrical leadtime rating)?

TLR is a statistic which I just made up. It’s Theatrical Leadtime Rating. It’s measured by how many movies you’ve seen in theatres which have not yet been released on DVD.

Mine is currently at four (District 9, Inglourious Basterds, Jennifer’s Body, and The Invention of Lying) which is high for me due to my habit of waiting until movies get to the cheap theatres.

I think mine is only 1, District 9, and even that, I saw it in a second-run theater.

Let’s see…

Hangover, Inglourious Basterds, The Goods, District 9, The Informant, The Men Who Stare at Goats, Zombieland, and Taking Woodstock.

1. It’s usually at it’s highest in November, when after all the big summer releases that are coming out on DVD just before Christmas. Go back a few weeks and you can add Star Trek, Transformers, and Terminator

Is there a way to have a negative TLR? The last movie I saw in theaters was Up.

Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince (for 5 more days anyway), Julie & Julia (same deal as HP), Hangover, Inglorious Basterds, District 9, (500) Days of Summer, 9, and now the Fantastic Mr. Fox. So 8, currently.

Two. Jennifer’s Body and Precious.

Yeah, yeah, have at me like Charlie Bucket’s inexplicably British teacher. “TWO?! What do you mean TWO?!”

“I…don’t care for movies very much…”

Zero, since I think the new Star Trek is now out on DVD.

I rarely go to the movies anymore.

Two: District 9 and Inglorious Basterds.

How long is the standard lead time between movie and DVD? I see a new movie every week. How do I calculate my TLR from that?

I don’t pay attention to DVD releases, but I checked IMDB’s release schedule and worked my way backwards. Just based on what’s playing in the theaters (in Chicago) now, I’ve seen:

An Education
A Serious Man
Astro Boy
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
Coco Before Chanel
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Good Hair
Inglourious Basterds
Paranormal Activity
Pirate Radio
Precious
The Men Who Stare at Goats
The Road
The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Saturday will add Up In The Air, Brothers, Everybody’s Fine and The Blind Side to that list.

These I saw, and I don’t believe any of them are on DVD in the US yet, though several will be in time for Christmas (as I saw older titles I started checking dates on amazon). But as of this writing, they count:

(500) Days of Summer
Adam
Amelia
The Box
Bright Star
Capitalism: A Love Story
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire’s Assistant
District 9
Extract
Gamer
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard
The Hangover
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Hurt Locker
The Informant!
The Invention of Lying
Jennifer’s Body
Julie & Julia
Law Abiding Citizen
Love Happens
Moon
My One and Only
Pandorum
Ponyo (this is on DVD in other countries but not the US yet)
Public Enemies
The September Issue
Surrogates
Taking Woodstock
The Time Traveler’s Wife
Where The Wild Things Are
Whip It
Zombieland

I saw many other movies, but they’re on DVD already, like Shorts, Funny People, Whatever Works, Away We Go. I didn’t look any earlier because I figured most everything would be on DVD.

I never rent DVDs (maybe 1 a year) but I see at least 1 movie in the theater each week, so I operate on the assumption that if I don’t see it theatrically, I won’t see it at all (or at least not until it hits cable a few years later). So I guess my TLR is somewhere around 12-20 or so.

I’m kinda the same way. If I miss a movie I wanted to see, and there were a lot of them this year, I may never see it at all. We have over 1500 DVDs, but we generally only buy movies we’ve seen and liked in the theater. I do sometimes buy DVDs that I haven’t seen, there’s a few dozen in there, but we rarely watch DVDs, because we’re at the theater so often.

I think I’ve rented one movie in the past 10 years, and that was The Fall, which was my favorite film last year and I saw 9 times in the theater. We had relatives visiting who hadn’t seen it and we hadn’t yet bought the DVD, so we rented it.

I took The Littlest Briston to see Planet 51 last weekend, giving me a TRL of 1 – the highest it’s been in years.

Equipoise, are you Roger Ebert?

Checks genitals

Nope. I have to pay for all my movies.

2: Paranomal Activity, and Harry Potter: The Half Blood Prince. I think the only other movie I saw in the theaters this year was Drag Me To Hell.