When is it OK to Steech an Amazon Package?

I’m about 92% sure that’s an Amazon label, try calling Amazon Logistics at (877) 243-2915 and see what they say about it. They’ll probably just tell you to keep it, mark down what happened and send another one to the right place. Because the price of a forty dollar crockpot isn’t worth sending out trucks hither and yon to schlep back and forth.

Amazon mailed me two of something once, when I ordered one. They told me to keep the extra, so I gave it to a friend. It wasn’t worth it to them to pick it up.

Like I said- drop it off at the USPS.

That is fairly common, I concur.

Like we said, USPS didn’t deliver it.

Do we know that for sure?

If you can’t or wont contact Amazon, then dropping it off at USPS is the last resort.

Pretty much, LOL! We’re not “hang out and have a couple of beers” sort of friends, but we have become “I’ve got a bunch of zucchinis, take them with your new crock pot” sort of friends.

Oddly enough, they have never gotten our mail or packages, but they are a couple of towns over and have different carriers.

Have you ever tried to drop a mis-delivered package off at the post office? If so, good on you for taking time off from work to do it. Some folks don’t want to spend their precious not-working time standing in line to correct someone else’s error.

Have you ever tried to drop off a package delivered by an unknown courier to the post office? Did they take it? If so, how long did you have to scream to get someone to take it just to make you go away?

Back to the OP, I left several notes for the place with scary dogs before giving up on them.

It’s not my responsibility to do the jobs of people who are being paid to deliver mail/packages.

Moderator Note

I don’t know why you are obsessing over this item being stolen and that it needs to be returned to the USPS, but keep in mind:

(1) The item was delivered, not taken. Comparisons with stealing things off of the back of a FedEx truck and the like are a completely different situation and are off topic for this thread.

(2) The USPS isn’t involved. I know for certain that UPS and Amazon both do not want you to drop off mis-delivered packages at the USPS. UPS wants you to call them at 1-800-PICK-UPS and Amazon wants you to call their customer service. Do not mention USPS or US Postal Laws in this thread again (unless someone else comes in to discuss a package that was actually mis-delivered by the USPS).

We got a package for a house with our number but the wrong street. It was some carrier I had never heard of. After staring at the box for a few days (no idea what it was), I put it on the back of my bicycle and took it a half a mile away to the right house. The recipient was at home, on the front porch, and was pleased to get it. So, I got my good deed and a short bike ride in for the day.

Actually, if the post office misdelivers, you can write “not at this address” on the thing, and leave it where they delivered it, and they will eventually take it back. At least, I’ve done that with letters and small parcels. Hmm, maybe only with things small enough to fit in the mailbox.

My post office does have a place where you can drop off prepaid packages without waiting in line, and I’d be willing to gamble it would work for a slow cooker that had been shipped through the mail.

But, that obviously won’t work if it wasn’t delivered by the post office. Might even be a federal crime to leave trash in their intake area. It’d certainly be rude and guarantee the package never got delivered.

But one of the things i like about the post office as a delivery service is that they are fairly friendly to deal with.

I concur with those who say Amazon would probably tell you to keep the package, based on my experience. I’ve found they’re usually pretty easy to get ahold of via their online chat feature. Once you’ve confirmed they want you to keep it, you can be done with this.

Weirdly, I recently had some actual mail (bills, parking tickets, and junk mail from the looks of it) left under the fence in my front yard. They’re all addressed to the same person, who is not me, and the address is a few blocks away. My street is on a bit of a hill, so the front yard is elevated to where the lawn is right around where a short adult’s arm would hang if they were walking on the sidewalk in front. I do often see people walking their dogs or walking their kids to school past my house. I suspect that the mail was properly delivered, and the recipient grabbed it on their way out, then set it down in front of my house when they had to juggle dogs/kids/whatever, then forgot about it. Although the address is nearby, there are a lot of apartment complexes and bungalow courts in this neighborhood, so it might not be possible for me to get it back to the proper person. So I left it there for a few days in case they remembered and came back, but when they didn’t, I clipped it to the outside of our mailbox (what I do with outgoing mail–it’s on our porch inside the fence, so it’s a little more secure than it would be if it were on the street) with a note for the postal carrier. Hopefully they redeliver it.

No, it doesn’t. I ordered something off of ebay; came in Amazon packaging. A lot of the third-party sellers sell on multiple platforms, probably just grabbed whatever packaging s/he had available

Yeah, Amazon is pretty happy about giving stuff away. Before the COVID shut down last year, I had ordered some stuff for work. When we shut down, I put up a sign asking for any packages to be left with the business next door, which was staying open.

They didn’t do so, and the packages were considered lost by Amazon, and they refunded my money without me even asking them to do so. When we re-opened, the mail carrier came by, and asked if we were open now, as they had a pile of packages for us taking up space. They brought them by, and I contacted Amazon over online chat. They told me just to keep them, so that was cool.

Anyway, on a slightly related matter, I had a roommate that moved out a bit over a year ago now. I was putting his mail into a box, and he would come by and pick it up every now and then. However, I haven’t been able to contact him since like May now, and the box is pretty overfull. Most of it looks like junk, but some of it may be important. Any idea what I should do with it? I have no idea where he is, or even if he’s still alive.

Seems like the best idea is to hand it off to the Post Office. Let them know he hasn’t been there for a year.

This. Although you may also want to go through the trouble of putting an ‘x’ through the address and writing “Return to Sender” and “Not at this address” on each piece so you don’t wind up getting it mailed back to you.

Some of it might get mailed back to you regardless.

From the USPS website:

If the mailpiece is delivered to the correct location but the recipient on the mailpiece does not reside at the address:

• Write " Not at this address " on mailpiece.
  • Don’t erase or mark over the address.
  • Provide the mailpiece to your mailperson or drop into a Collection Box receptacle.

They say this, but in my experience you just end up getting the mail delivered again. I think a good compromise is a single ‘X’ that still leaves the address legible.

But do it promptly. Forwarding service expires.

I still get mail (either credit card applications, or college alumni news) for a roommate that hasn’t lived here in over 20 years. I freely admit I violate federal law by shredding it. I know I can’t forward it, because there’s no USPS delivery for “living in a van down by the river, Seattle, USA”.

I still occasionally get mail for the guy who sold me my house in 1993. After the first year or so it was entirely junk mail which I toss out. It was interesting to follow his lifestyle it was AARP, then Medicare, then cremation services….

I’ll get mail on occasion for my exwife (divorced in 2006) and one ex girlfriend (split in 2010) but I’m still friends with both of them so I’ll get it to them if it looks important. For them it’s commonly shopping catalogs.