When you're away from your home/apartment, ...

which do you worry about the most, a fire destroying it or someone burglarizing it?

Speaking for myself (of course), I worry about both but worry more about it being burglarized.

Been fortunate so far, and I thank God for it. :slight_smile:

I can’t say I’ve ever given either possibility a moment’s thought.

[QUOTE=cher3]
I can’t say I’ve ever given either possibility a moment’s thought.[/
QUOTE]

Hmm. I wanna live where you live. :slight_smile:

I’d feel sorry for anyone who’d break in to steal anything I have. I mean, really. He’d have to be really bad-off.

I think about fire and weather damage sometimes, because my dog is home alone.

I don’t worry about burglary. Even though I live in the same neighborhood where I lived when my home was burglarized in 1997 (my parent’s house - I bought a place down the street), I seriously have nothing of value and nothing I would miss. If someone wants my crappy crap that bad, they can have it. I’d be much more scared if they came when I was home.

I don’t think I worry about fire too much…that’d suck, but I do have a home to go to (said parents’ home down the street). I also have insurance…and like I said, nothing of real value.

For the record, I would be absolutely mortified if something happened to my DOG while I was out (she is my only prized possession) but she is rarely home alone. If I go out for more than an hour or so she’s with my parents.

[QUOTE=GuyNblueJeans]

Yeah, that’s part of it. It’s not that I’m not a worrywort, it’s just that those two issues aren’t at the top of my agenda.

Actually, this would be a good time for a break-in. I don’t have any valuable jewelry or electronics and our (old) computer just went on the fritz. Anyone who liberated that would be doing us a favor.

I’ve been burgled TWICE and I still don’t worry about burglary or fire. My husband made me call the cats when we went to Washington DC for the weekend. That would be my biggest worry.

Crime, while I understand it is an issue, comes in waaaaaaaay at the bottom of my personal worry list.

I worry much more about fire than about burglary. My family lost a house to a fire when I was in high school. We lost everything, including our two cats. I really don’t want to have to go through that again. You can say “it’s just stuff” but it’s more than just stuff.

Anyway, I worry about fire mostly because I worry that our cats will be killed. Also about the stuff but maybe less actively.

My only real worry about burglary is that burglars will let the cats out. :smiley:

I worry more about fire, especially with three cats who are all kept indoors. Crime is very low in my area (let’s hope I am not jinxing myself) and I have never heard of anyone around me getting broken into. There was a time when, after being gone to the supermarket for a couple hours, my toaster oven had somehow gotten turned on and had burned itself out. The house was full of smoke, but fortunately nothing caught flame. Now I always keep my toaster unplugged unless I am actually using it (something I should have done in the first place, I realize). Next time I may not be so lucky.

I also worry about the possibility of the water heater springing a leak while I’m gone. This happened once, but I was home when it happened, but I had been upstairs and it was several hours before I realized what happened when I went downstairs to find the entire living room carpet soaked in water. I can only imagine what would have happened if this occurred when I was away for five days visiting my brother who lived in Kansas at the time.

Since my brother lives with me now and he’s on disability and doesn’t work, he’s always home when I am at work, and when we go somewhere together we’re never gone for more than a few hours at a time.

where I live, burglary, hands down.

I worry about both, actually.
The robbery, because our dogs WOULD go after the person entering the house, and Og only knows what the bad guy(s) would do to our pets!
The fire (and weather) I worry about, because we do have 2 dogs, 4 cats and 2 rats (plus 6 aquariums) living inside with us!

The pets we worry about.
The material stuff, not so much.
Most of that can be replaced.

I live in a rural area where burglary is not a concern. I do everything I can to prevent the possibility of fire: updated circuit breakers and panel, most electronics unplugged, etc. My dog is rarely home alone.

Guess I am pretty worry free.

Quantum anti-time fissures. Worries the hell out of me.

Definitely fire, again mostly because (1) our cats, and (2) we just had a ton of work done on the house.

We don’t have too much that’d be worth stealing, and none of that stuff is irreplacable.

I have quantum anti-time fissure insurance, thank Og, but fire freaks me out even with insurance. I’m mostly afraid of a fire due to my own mistake - lightning strikes and the like don’t worry me much.

Burglary? Not much at all.

Which is why fire more than burglary, if I worry about either. The burgler will take the stuff that can be replaced. The fire will take the stuff that can’t.

Definitely fire. Before I leave I have to check that the stove is off and the iron’s unplugged.

When we come home late at night, I watch for three things in sequence as we crest the hill:

(1) Yard lights, indicating that the house is still standing
(2) No dead cats in the road
(3) Happy excited dogs in their kennels

I’m a worrywart; top of the list are the pets. I shudder to think of what it must be like to have your house leveled. Yes, as long as you’re alive, it’s just stuff, but a lot of it isn’t replaceable.

And we’re in the path of predicted hella storms this afternoon. Yay.

Definitely fire. We have two big dogs that have a tendency to discourage burglars from considering our place (although I know they could still break in and do whatever if they really wanted to), but , all else being equal, I figure that they’d pick one of our less canined neighbors.

Fire as well. It’s been years since I’ve even locked the door to my house.