Where have all the quarters gone?

I’m talking about the new USA state commemorative quarters. Right now, the Connecticut quarter is being produced, and I see a slew of them. But I don’t think I’ve seen a Delaware quarter in a month. In the last week, I’ve only seen CT and New Jersey.

I guess people are just holding on to them. I tend to spend the old eaglebacks first. Dunno why. I just do.

People are convinced they are collectable and are grabbing them out of circulation as fast as they show up. I was in a store the other day and as the clerk was handing me my change she stopped and pulled out a quarter saying "oh, this is one of those new quarters; I have to save this for &lt somebody’s name &gt ". She put it in a pile with two or three other quarters and handed me an ordinary one.

In a couple of years when everyone realizes that their quarters are only worth 25 cents, they will start showing up.

“Drink your coffee! Remember, there are people sleeping in China.”

Dennis Matheson — dennis@mountaindiver.com
Hike, Dive, Ski, Climb — www.mountaindiver.com

when those commerative coins first came out I was in a store and pulled one out. the clerk at the store I was in said, “A man over in the other town at the pawnshop is giving ten dollars apiece for those.” I said, "ok you give me five dollars for it then go over there and double your money. really

An original parody by me originally by Pete Seeger.

Where have all the quarters gone, long time passing?
Where have all the quarters gone, long time ago?
U.S. Mints have picked them everyone.
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh when will they ever learn?

Where have all the U.S. Mints gone, long time passing?
Where have all the U.S. Mints gone, long time ago?
Where have all the U.S. Mints gone,
Gone for smelting everyone.
Oh when will they every learn?

Where have all the smeltings gone, long time passing?
Where have all the smeltings gone, long time ago?
Where have all the smeltings gone,
Gone for ore everyone
Oh when will they ever learn.

Where has all the ore gone, long time passing?
Where has all the ore gone, long time ago?
Where has all the ore gone?
Gone to storage, everyone.
Oh, when will they every learn?

Where has all the storage gone, long time passing?
Where has all the storage gone, lone time ago?
Where has all the storage gone?
Gone to quarters, everyone.

Where have all the quarters gone, long time passing?
Where have all the quarters gone, long time ago?
U.S. Mints have picked them everyone.

HUGS!
Sqrl

Gasoline: As an accompaniement to cereal it made a refreshing change. Glen Baxter

I’ve been holding onto my “Georgias” ever since someone here pointed out that, upside down, the peach looks like a butt with a leafy twig shoved up it.

Uke

Also I think that the frequency of quarters might depend on your geographic region. When I was in Denver for a business trip, I saw many more new quarters than I had seen in California. (maybe because of the presence of the Denver mint)

Also I think that most people have an inclination to keep the new ones and spend the old ones, as previously mentioned.

And even nowadays, there will be many more “traditional” quarters in circulation than new ones.

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry

They’re mostly in my couch cushions. Sorry.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

I had planned on saving one of each new quarter. That lasted about a week until I needed to do laundry. That Georgia quarter looks like a bus token.

When I first saw the Delaware quarter, I saw the “tails” side and thought, “Damn, I need a soda and I’m stuck with a Canadian quarter.”

Then at closer look, I asked, “When did Delaware move to Canada?” :slight_smile:

So what else is in Georgia?

Ray

Wasn’t the original Delaware too light for soda machines to accept?

–Tim

Oh, and sorry. I have about $40 worth of quarters in my piggy bank.

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

It’s strange to read about stuff like this. I’m stuck overseas and haven’t seen a single one of these quarters y’all are talking about. Haven’t seen the new 20 dollar bill, either.

DHR

What makes any coin (or anything else, now that I think about it) worth something to a collector is it’s rarity.
During the U.S. Bicentinniel the mint went into overtime producing proof sets of the coins. There are so many of those they will probably take a lot of lifetimes to be worth more than face value.
OTOH, those unpopular Susan B’s…that you couldn’t give away and had such a short run…hmmmmm. Have you seen a Susan B lately?

Doug Bowe:

Yes, I see Susan B. Anthonys every time I go to the post office and use an automated stamp machine (the change comes in Susan B’s), or everytime I buy a Los Angeles Metrolink ticket and get change.

La franchise ne consiste pas à dire tout ce que l’on pense, mais à penser tout ce que l’on dit.
H. de Livry

Drat! So that’s where they went.
Well, there’s always the Morgan Dollars.
Anyone get scammed by them?

No, but don’t ask me about those @#$%ing 1804 large cents–whatta ripoff.

DHR

And you’ve got to watch out for those half dismes! :wink:

I’ve been told (plainly, we’re in urban legend territory) that some of the Pennsylvania quarters were minted incorrectly. If you’re looking at the heads side and turn the quarter over (sideways) the tails image should be upside down. Some were minted so that the two sides are not reversed and are worth about $5.00 each. I have no idea of whether this is true or not.

As nobody has yet specifically mentioned it, I will. The reason the commemorative quarter series was started in the first place was to make money for our government (whatever the difference between the cost of minting and the face value of all the stashed away coins.) That is the same reason the USPS pays way more attention to which designs will be collected than to what things are most worthy of commemoration. I kinda like these commemorative quarters myself but remember that I predicted here that they will come out with Pokemon quarters soon.