Where's George?

Well that sucks. This bill has been sitting idle for 6 years or so and just yesterday I got two emails saying that a hit was removed “since it was deemed a false, mistaken, or fake hit or entry.” Of course they were both hits from that bill. I wonder if it had anything to do with linking to it from here.

I got into it for a short while and stamped a few hundred bills. Few made it out of state, but I got notice a few weeks back… one made it to Iraq. Someone got it from a street vendor in Basra. I thought that was pretty neat.

We get them a lot in our deposits from the two McDonald’s restaurants that bank with us. At least half of their money has “Where’s George” on it. Most of it all looks the same, like it’s the same marker. It’s the exact same stamp in the exact same place with the exact same color ink. We’re thinking this person buys singles and fives, stamps them, and uses them for food to get them in the system.

And since McDonald’s has large deposits, about one fifth of our money at our branch has “Where’s George” on it. Granted, we also get “Where’s George” money from other businesses, other sources, with other stamps, etc. But this stamper really takes it seriously.

I cheat a bit. It’s just fun to save up all my marked bills and take them with me when I travel. I usually have 10-15 to take along when I hit Ireland for the family reunion. Of course, they just go straight into the money exchenge there, but maybe they’ll get entered . . .

I did WG for a bit some years back, but eventually lost interest. Maybe because I was too broke to have enough bills to enter to get any significant number of hits. I’ll still enter the occasional Georged bill that I get - maybe 2 or 3 a year.

I haven’t seen a Where’s George in years. I want one!