Where's My 'Latest' Button?

I hate to seem like an ingrate, I really do. The Discourse folks have done so much to accommodate our needs. But there’s a recent change that’s making me nuts.

My usual way of browsing the site is to select a thread to read from the ‘Latest’ updated topics. When I’m done reading the thread, I scroll down past the list of New and Unread topics and hit the ‘Latest’ button at the bottom to refresh the page.

Until today. Because that button is gone. In its place is a list of possibly interesting links under headings like Design, Code, Business, etc. And while some (not me) may find those useful, the button I rely on dozens of times a day, Latest, is gone. Just… gone.

What used to be a one-click refresh is now a two-click refresh, because I must click on the drop-down hamburger menu and then select Topics.

I must also be the only person who used to use the Latest button at the bottom of the page, because no one else has started a thread to complain. And we’re usually quick to complain around here!

I’m open to workarounds from users more savvy than I am. I just want a quick, one-click option to refresh the page with ‘Latest’ posts.

Any help?

Every one of those link to this thread.
ETA: It’s the same in every thread, the links at the bottom link to that thread.
ETA2: To the last post.

Yes, I noticed that, too, when I clicked on one of those options before making this thread.

So the view latest topics still exist in Discourse Classic.

All of these issues are almost always Theme or Browser (Firefox) related.

So theme is vital to those that need to troubleshoot and browser and OP system help.

To determine or change Theme:

• Click on your Avatar next to the Menu. (Upper Right Corner)
  • Select Preferences (The last symbol on the right)
  • Select Preferences again (The gear symbol)
  • Click on Interface. (Should be the last choice.)

Thanks, but I can’t abide any of the themes except Vincent.

Instead, I’ll just muddle along with the 2-click refresh and grouse about it. :wink:

What browser and OP system? It might help troubleshooting.

All the favorites: Firefox and Win 10, together with Vincent theme. Thanks. :slight_smile:

For me, it’s Firefox, Win7, SD Light.

Well at least you’re not Mac or Win 7. Then you’re really stacking the odds against you. Win 10 and 11 are rarely issues. Firefox often is.

I know. I know. I’m a techno-luddite. And the site doesn’t revolve around me, so if it’s a big deal to fix, I can live with it. It’s not that big of a deal.

Fixed!! Thank you!!!

huh. Where are you seeing this button? I have a different theme, but I use “latest” a lot, so if I could find an even easier way to get to it, that might be useful.

In the Vincent theme, after you finish reading the last post in a thread, you can scroll down to below the list of New and Unread Topics, into the Welcome area. Under Community, there’s a list of useful shortcuts, including Latest. Also the Forum Jump list is adjacent, which I also find quite useful.

Hope this helps!

Huh, interesting. I don’t see anything like that in the SD light theme, or whatever I am using. There are a few “new and unread topics”, then a sentence with embedded links that says “There are 2132 unread and 101 new topic…” (and 2132 and 101 are links). And then there’s the “Welcome” blob, with lots of uninteresting links that I’ve never looked at before today.

Oops. Buttons are gone again. :sob:

I really need those forum links at the bottom of the page. They’re key to how I use the SDMB.

I hear you. It’s really messing with how I use the site, too.

Also, the links that are now listed at the bottom of the page (as previously described) are useless. They only take you back into the thread you were previously viewing.

I’m not sure why I’d need a link to Design Process, Blog Design, Photoshop Tutorials, etc. in any case. But if I did, those links wouldn’t get me there.

Yes, those are astonishingly useless for the space they give them.

They don’t even seem related to anything going on on this site. I think they relate to Discourse uses, not ours. That’s just idle speculation on my part, though.

Thanks for fixing it.