Which do you take off first?

You get back into your warm house or apartment after being outside, and you’re wearing:

• a heavy coat
  • a mask
  • shoes

Which of these do you take off first?
Thank you.

Which do you take off first?
  • Coat
  • Mask
  • Shoes

0 voters

The very first thing I always do is empty my pockets. I don’t feel like I’m “home” until everything is out of my pockets.

Boots, so I can hang up my coat without tracking snow in.

I take this mask off in the car so I always know where it is when I go out.

Once inside, shoes. Then empty pockets. Then coat. Then empty pants pockets. Then remove pants and install comfy pjs or sweats.

The mask is already off in the car. The coat is next, then I go upstairs and switch out my shoes for house slippers. (The slippers aren’t in the living room because of the dogs.)

For me, as well, the mask comes off once I’m back in the car.

Whether boots or coat comes off first depends on if there was snow on the sidewalk – if so, and I’m thus tracking in snow when I come in, then then come off first (and get put in the tray by the door to melt and dry). Otherwise, coat comes off first.

What mask? Assuming winter, whatever is in hand goes on table. Keys go on hook, wallet on shelf above it. Phone goes on kitchen counter by charger, plugged in if needed. Coat comes off, then the hat. Then the shoes if fresh snow. If not shoes stay on. Slippers go on as our floors are cold. I only wear boots when working outside. If that is the case then I wouldn’t have the keys or wallet and most likely not the phone. Boots usually get taken off in the garage before I get into the house.

ETA, I’m not wearing a mask by the time I get home unless it is a ski mask or I have a gaitor on from working outside.

If the mask is on it comes off first.

Shoes, to keep from getting snow on the floor.

We can tell from the response who lives in Canada.

:snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

Shoes first, even in summer. Maybe not in Canada, where it might be mittens first, folllowed by coat to allow bending over far enough to reach foootwear.

This, combined with your posts in another thread about how you never stopped going out to eat indoors this past year, is not something to be proud of.

For me, the first thing is my heavy coat. I do not take my mask off until after I have washed my hands.

I’m not going to derail this thread but do wonder why you think this.

Shoes first, always. Then mask, to go on its hook. Then coat. If I’m entering via the garage, mask on its hook, then shoes at the door, then coat.

This is Asia so my shoes come off first. My mask is already off before I get on my scooter or in the car and since it’s Taiwan I don’t actually take my heavy coat out of the closet unless I’m camping in the winter. So once in almost nine years. When it’s raining then I take off my rain gear in the garage, which used to involve talking off my shoes and putting them back on. Thank god I don’t need to do that anymore so I’d have no idea how to answer the question.

I presume “mask” refers to the COVID mask. It always comes off in the car (or even before) because for me, it tends to be incompatible with glasses. So I leave the glasses in the car when I put on the mask. I don’t really need them that badly except legally required for driving.

Once I get inside shoes immediately come off, either at the front door or the door to the garage, depending on how I come in. Then the rest of the gear, which is just a coat and hat. I haven’t worn gloves or mittens in years.

Coat, we’re not obliged (yet) to wear a mask down here.

Shoes stay outside the apartment door, so shoes first. Normal behavior in Switzerland.

If I’m wearing a mask, either I remove it (reusable mask, used for grocery shopping) when I am out of the crowded areas, so about 100 m before I get home, or take it off after I’m gone inside (disposable mask used for doctor appointments, for example).

Mask comes off in the car.
Shoes once inside.
Am unsure to what is this “heavy coat” thingammy of which you speak. :nerd_face:

I live in Hawaii, before this Bangkok, so I don’t even own a coat. While shoes are NOT worn in our house, the first thing I take off is the mask and lay it on a table at the entrance. Then the shoes come off.