Which GoT death had the biggest impact on you?

I’ve been watching this series called Game of Thrones and I guess some other people have too. There seems to be a lot of people dying on it so the question is which one had the biggest impact on you. Now I know that people will say, “No one. They’re just fictional characters. Now when Jim my goldfish died I cried for a month.” so if that’s you then you miss the point of the poll.

In chronological order

1. Ned Stark: The hero always survives vs. Sean Bean always dies. This was the first death many people point to that GoT is immune from tropes.

2. The Red Wedding: All that blood. And to top it off sewing Grey Wind’s head to Robb’s body to parade around the King of the North … brutal image.

3. Hold the door Hodor. Not a main character but one that we all loved. The juxtaposition of how he became Hodor along with his sacrifice for Bran as the scenes jumped back and forth and the score in the background. Might be one of the best examples of the Art of Cinema.

4. Someone else?
    Shireen being sacrificed to the Lord of Light?
    The Red Viper getting his question answered?
    Viserys getting his crown?
    Let us know.

For me it has to be Ned Stark. He’s the hero of this story, right? He can’t die in episode 9, can he?

That was the moment that GoT served notice that nobody was safe. It was a true game-changer.

Since I read the books most of the deaths didn’t have the impact that it did on those that didn’t know it was coming. Book Ned definitely had the biggest impact.

In the show it was Catelyn Stark. I knew it was coming but the way Michelle Fairley played it was brilliant and devastating.

I was originally going to say Ned, because it was a truly shocking moment and the first time we realized Game of Thrones was not like the others. But, for sheer impact it has to be the Red Wedding, because it went on, and on… Watching Robb’s wife and child being repeatedly stabbed was horrifying. The bolts hitting Robb from close range had a meaty thunking sound that just made it more terrible. And then Catelyn Stark’s anguished wail, her murder of an innocent girl and subsequent death was just… brutal. The whole thing left you just sitting there exhausted after it was over.

This is it for me. The others were adults, who in part brought their deaths on themselves by bad decisions (OK, not Hodor). Shireen was an innocent child who was cheerful in the face of her adversity but who was burned alive by her father to no purpose as she begged piteously for him to help her. I don’t think there was a more harrowing death in the show.

Shireen. Shocked me much more than anything else seen in the series. I can’t really watch her death scene, in fact.

Hodor

This is all about film-making. It was amazing, unexpected, and I still get shudders thinking about the flash back to young Hodor saying “holdthedoor, holdthedoor” while he has seizures.

:shudders:

Definitely Ned Stark for me. I was unfamiliar with the books and three seasons had passed before I decided to binge the show. I’d read just enough to completely not know what I was getting into and I thought Ned was the shows main protagonist.

I was completely unprepared for that death and it definitely instantly had me hooked as a fan as opposed to a casual watcher.

Shireen’s death was the most horrific I’ve felt watching a scene but it didn’t pack the punch long term like Neds death did.

Surely the fact that Ned Stark was played by Sean Bean was kind of a big hint.
For me, it was the Joffrey because of how satisfying it was. I’m gonna leave it here for your enjoyment: https://youtu.be/ifx0Fg_drBI?t=271

I’ve stopped watching GoT because of the show’s gleeful attitude towards torture and rape but I will check out the episode where Cersei bites it when it comes.

I guess I’m a selective sadist.

I injured my back when Littlefinger died and I jumped up and shouted “It’s about damned time!”

Ned Stark.

I hadn’t read the books. I pretty much skip George R.R. Martin’s work after early experiences with his writing. It’s just something about his style that hadn’t worked for me in other things I read by him. I went cold into the show.

Part of why I started watching was just the short synopsis of the world. Part was Sean Bean. I almost quit after a couple episodes. That first season was rough without a background into the characters and the world. It’s a big world and a huge cast. The show did okay trying to jump around and give each important thread time. Sometimes it felt like the threads in an episode were as coherent as a bag of yarn assaulted by a dozen kittens wired on catnip.

I like Sean Bean, though. He was a big piece of why I kept giving the show a chance while it was still setting the stage. Then they whacked his head off.

This is exactly my answer as well. Those are the two, and I feel exactly the same way as you about both.

I was in a time where I wasn’t into movie or television culture. I had no idea about Sean Bean’s death thing. Looking back on IMDB, I’d seen movies he died it but until GOT I wouldn’t have known the actor by name or reputation. Totally blindsided by the scene.

Not sure what you mean by this. He’s the one recognizable star, so how the heck can he die? I actually thought it was some kind of dream sequence and that he’d be back somehow. That was the slap in the face that this show was different. But even then, I thought it was a one-off. Then came the red wedding, and nothing shocked me again… until Shireen. I liked Stannis before that, and the moment after, he surpassed Joffrey as my most hated character. That was next level shit, right there.

I say Ned Stark. I didn’t think they were actually going to kill him (knowing how movies and TV shows go nowadays)

(If anyone says one of the direwolves, I’m going to be mad)

I read the books, so from a “first time reading” perspective, I’d say the Red Wedding narrowly edged out Ned Stark for me. Ned’s death was certainly shocking, to the point I almost questioned if it actually happened at first (the chapter it happens in is from Arya’s POV, and she doesn’t see the actual moment of execution). But later on I could see why it had to happen to get things rolling. The Red Wedding was even more shocking, but also more dreadful because those characters had already suffered with Ned’s death.

From a show perspective, I’d say Shireen. Not only because she’s a kid who didn’t even slightly deserve it (whereas the Starks are adults who did make stupid decisions), but also because I cannot see Book Stannis ever burning Shireen.

My goodness, that was hard to watch. I mean, the little wanker deserved it and all but yikes. I’ve not witnessed anyone IRL die by poison but that sure seemed realistic. Didn’t it turn out that it was Arya?

I only ever saw the first season but have been hearing about / seeing bits and pieces over the run of the show. I’d seen enough of KJ to hate him so his death is satisfying. I also cannot stand Cersei (nor the actress who plays her)so I too look forward to her dirt nap.

Shireen, by far.

After recent events I’ve been reading some praise for Melisandre and how she’s a hero. Fuck her. She burned an innocent girl alive.

WOOKINPANUB: No.

It was Olenna Martell; she admitted it to Jaime before dying, and previously told her daughter Maergery too. Arya was very far away at the time. Olenna didn’t trsy Joffrey, and knew she could have Maergery marry Tommen and be in the same political position.

Shireen, by far.

After recent events I’ve been reading some praise for Melisandre and how she’s a hero. Fuck her. She burned an innocent girl alive.

WOOKINPANUB: No.

It was Olenna Martell; she admitted it to Jaime before dying, and previously told her daughter Maergery too. Arya was very far away at the time. Olenna didn’t trsy Joffrey, and knew she could have Maergery marry Tommen and be in the same political position.

No, it was a plot by Littlefinger and the Tyrell matriarch