Which of these 2 songs do you prefer?

Over in the mmm-song polls arena we are at a deadlock in selecting the best song that begins with the letter M. I don’t like ties (but never mind about my neckwear preferences). I thought it would be interesting to create a specific thread to resolve this pressing issue.

Which do you prefer?
  • Mr. Brightside by The Killers
  • My Shot by the Cast of “Hamilton”
0 voters

I’ve heard so many people sing [sic] the praises of “Mr Brightside” and I’ve really tried to get into it, but it still does nothing for me. Oh well…

I will abstain from this one.

I have an irrational hatred for “Mr. Brightside” and have a general annoyance with most of the Killers output, so I voted the other song, whatever it is.

I like “All These Things That I’ve Done” by The Killers despite Bill Bailey tainting it for me with his rendition of “I’ve got ham, but I’m not a hamster.”

But still not “Mr Brightside”.

I don’t think there is a single song from Hamilton I like and this one is especially terrible to my ears. So easy vote for Mr. Brightside, that I never heard before. It seems mostly harmless.

“Mr Brightside” is generic post-punk pop. “My Shot” is brilliant songwriting and performing.

Funny, I’d usually choose rock over a musical, but most of the songs from Hamilton are a cut above.

I voted “Mr Brightside” because I like it better, but I think the other song is better art. I like both.

Criminy, here we are 20 votes in and each song has 10.

mmm

In the interests of scrupulous fairness I listened to that Hamilton thing. All of it. Then voted for Mr Brightside.

j

Oh wow. I usually don’t vote in these polls, because i don’t know enough music to make an informed choice. But this is two songs i know pretty well, and have opinions about.

I like them both.

But i voted for Mr. Brightside, because it’s nicer to listen to. As poetry i would probably give the nod to My shot, because the lyrics are a lot more interesting. But the music of Mr Brightside gives it the edge in this contest.

I enjoyed Hamilton but wouldn’t pluck a single song out to listen to on its lonesome. Mr. Brightside, it is.

Really? You liked Mr. Brightside better than, say, You’ll Be Back?

You’ll Be Back Lyrics (youtube.com)

I like both but only one would work for me in rotation as a single on my mp3 USB stick out of context from its album. So, as a stand alone product, voted for Mr Brightside.

I like a number of Killers songs, but I’ve never really enjoyed listening to Mr. Brightside. And “My Shot” is a great song.

If you end up with a tie, I’d suggest reading through the comments, rating the severity of each poster’s feelings (with your own metric, of course…).

Oh, wait, you could always be the deciding vote!

(I wasn’t sure if I should keep this when I quoted you. Is it part of your post? Or a signature? Or, as I can’t keep from hearing it, a sound effect?)

mmm = Mean Mr. Mustard.

As for the severity of the comments, I really hate the style of rapping in My Shot. Ugh.

I like Somebody Told Me better than Mr. Brightside, and it’s less played out, but I would definitely take either over that terrible rapping style.

So far, Mr. Brightside seems to have pulled away in the stretch.

You say this like that automatically precludes it from having “brilliant songwriting and performing”.

I can speak from experience when I say it fulfills its actual function superbly: it still packs the dancefloor in an alternative dance club like very few modern tracks do. So I disagree on the “generic” part. It’s brilliant.

Me, I don’t really like Hamilton, even though I can recognize the talent on display, so this was an easy vote. For music , it’s feets over brain, every time.

As someone who hasn’t been at a dance club since the 1980s, I can’t really take that into account. For me, it’s just a song I hear from time to time on the radio, and for me anyway, it’s long since worn out its welcome. And I say that as someone who really likes a number of songs by The Killers.