Which super hero is most likely to be racist when he's off the clock?

My vote? Mr Fantastic. They’ve been turning him into the prime jerk of the superhero world for a few years now so closet racism will probably be the next thing revealed about him.

True enough, everyone got a lot more conscious over time. Plus Cap really is meant to epitomise the best of America. And I should clarify that I don’t think even Ultimates Cap is racist at all. I was actually more mentioning the 40s relict thing as regards women.

Actually, talking about Ultimates, I can see Ant/Giant/Whatever Man, Hank Pym, being a racist - guy’s already a wife beater, and a colossal dick (which he shares with Mr Fantastic and Tony Stark - man, I really have zero sympathy for all the pro-registration heroes from Civil War, do I?).

Yeah, my first guess here was Hank Pym.
He was so cool back in the 1960s and then gradually became a total bad guy.
He beat up his wife!
Gaaah. Worst. Superhero. Ever.

Unfortunate Turn of Phrase Award—now I’m stuck with the inadvertent mental image of Hank Pym sharing his colossal dick with Mr Fantastic and Tony Stark. :eek:

Plus, Caps partner, for a time, was the Falcon, a brother.

Also, if the fact that you would nail a black chick makes you “not a racist”. . . then I submit to you that all men are not racists.

That’s the “Sam Wilson” I was referring to.

For what it’s worth, though, Cap actually got engaged to the woman I mentioned.

I’m trying to think of a black superhero who might secretly hate white folks. But I think for any black character to be successful, he necessarily has to be cool with white people.

Howabout, Captain Metropolis?

Underdog.

Luke Cage seems mighty anti-white at times.

Dr. Manhattan has no real concern for beings who aren’t blue. He left the Milky Way galaxy in order to find a Smurf culture.

Klansman?

White Hatin’ Coon

Green Arrow (in his '70s, ultra, stereotypical liberal phase, less so in more modern versions).

He had (during that period) the same sort of cartoon-style liberalism as Mike/Meathead in All In The Family and the same condescending attitude (“It’s not their fault. They can’t possibly have any responsibility for anything they do. They’re such…children”). What did whatshisname call it? “The soft bigotry of lowered expectations”?

Anyway, again, this is only the Green Arrow of the early to mid '70s, not most of his later stuff.

Nighthawk, from Supreme Power.

But maybe he doesn’t like them because they’re blue and have unobtainium, but because they share his hatred of inferior races.

The original golden age Namor was racist against anyone who wasn’t from Atlantis.

IIRC, didn’t Hyperion figure Nighthawk out by noticing the guy never lifted a finger when he saw white people getting mugged?

Tarzan was definitely racist. The Green Hornet treated his Asian sidekick like a chauffeur.

Pretty much, yeah.