WHO IS THE BEST FAST FOOD JOINT?

posted 09-23-1999 12:57 PM

CoolDude: Where in Texas do you live?

Houston.

I was in So. California last year. My friend who lives there talked about In and Out. How the fries are drained of their grease and the shakes are so good. The fries were the driest I have ever had and the shakes were not impressive. Every where else we went was good, but not fast food. There was a great pizza place in Long Beach.

posted 09-23-1999 12:57 PM

CoolDude: Where in Texas do you live?

Houston.

I was in So. California last year. My friend who lives there talked about In and Out. How the fries are drained of their grease and the shakes are so good. The fries were the driest I have ever had and the shakes were not impressive. Every where else we went was good, but not fast food. There was a great pizza place in Long Beach.

During marching band season in High school my friend and I would always go out to Taco Bell. Our stomachs would hurt marching at halftime but we always went. It was a strange kind of addiction I guess.

I’m surprised no-one has brought up Jack-In-The-Box. They used to make the greatest steak tartar burger!

They call me MISTER Wizard!

How often do you people eat at these places to have a preference? I don’t think I could call ANY of those places good! I hate to be the only one to post this here (no I don’t but I felt compelled to say that) but fast food is fast but it isn’t FOOD! That’s like calling Rap music!

IMHO (okay, that right there should cut down on the flames… yeah, right!) I’ve never had a burger any place that was as good as the one I make myself. Same for fries (both deep fried and oven baked) and chicken and … (she goes on and on).

I’m not being a wanker or a troll here (lie) but I only eat at fast food places in the most dire of circumstances. I’ve never eaten at one place enough to really be able to compare it to others. Don’t you folks ever pack a lunch? And even though these places are chains isn’t there a huge difference between the individual restaurants? Just because the fries are good one place does that guarantee that they are the same everywhere else?

So, if you had a choice between home-made and fast food, which would you pick?

Oh and slythe shared: I’m surprised no-one has brought up Jack-In-The-Box.
I have, every single time I’ve eaten there I’ve brought it up! Usually about an hour after eating it!

BTW we are in the pit which is why I’m flaming you. If this were MPSIMS I would have gone on by. But I noticed there were no flames here. Have at me!

This is still here? I would’ve thought it would be in MPSIMS by now.

Anyway, I can’t believe I left out Checkers. Checkers is the first choice for fast food, if I’m in the mood to drive that far out of my way for it–and quite often I am, because it’s worth it.

“It’s bacon!!”

That’s usually how Filipino restaurants are set up. You usually go in for lunch and point to what you want, they put it on your plate, you pay right then and there.

SqrlCub i would beg to differ that you can’t find good Chinese food outside of any Chinatown. In fact i have had some bad food in SF’s Chinatown. A local restaurant here was voted best Chinese in the area (and there are a lot!).

The only way to discribe people who enjoy Taco Bell and Pancho’s Mexican Barf’et is to say that ther taste buds are located a yard
lower than narmal.
So Say’s The LION

Congratulations,
you have just been marked as territory.
signed,
The LION

narmal = normal
long night!

Congratulations,
you have just been marked as territory.
signed,
The LION

{{BTW we are in the pit which is why I’m flaming you. If this were MPSIMS I would have gone on by. But I noticed there were no flames here. Have at me!}}

The reason this is still in the Pit is because of the thread originator. I didn’t want him to go LOOKING for his thread, and possibly inflicting himself on Patrick. Pat’s got enough problems as it is. Probably I should have moved it. If Pat wants it, he can ask me nicely and I’ll give it to him.

Lynn/SDStaff Lynn
For the Straight Dope

I know people who won’t patronize Carl’s Jr. or Domino’s Pizza because both organizations make donations to Operation Rescue.

Personally, though, I don’t care if a business is the primary supporter of the KKK’s Lynching Division, the Nazi Medical Research Institute, the Coalition of Baby Eating Technophobes, or the Council to Torture and Kill Everyone Whose Screen Name is Tracer – as long as I like the food. (Which, in the case of Carl’s Jr. and Domino’s Pizza, I don’t.)

Visit the Internet Stellar Database at www.stellar-database.com

Checker’s has the best food, and it is a shame they aren’t nationwide yet. McDonald’s has the best play areas, and i think everyone can agree that is the most important aspect of a dining experience.

It’s not bragging if you can do it - Satchel Paige

Quote: The only way to discribe people who enjoy Taco Bell and Pancho’s Mexican Barf’et is to say that ther taste buds are located a yard
lower than narmal.
So Say’s The LION
No man, you got it all wrong.

See, sometimes, we as a human race must purge ourselves through punishment. This is why we drink too much and get hangovers. Why we watch Jerry Springer at least once. Why we sometimes get into relationships with people we KNOW will be bad for us.

And why we sometimes feel the need to eat “food” that will have us shooting fire out of our asses the next day.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

slythe winked:

Slythe, I KNOW you’ve been coming back to this post all this time, wondering when, if anyone, would indeed get this reference.

Well, you are free to not come back again. :slight_smile:

Checkers is good! :smiley: Especially the fries & shakes! Yum!

Krystals is a perfectly acceptable alternative to White Castle, but avoid the shakes & fries. The burgers are still yummy :slight_smile:

Burger King & McDonald’s suck! :frowning:

Hardy’s & Arby’s give me <font color=green>The Runs :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: </font>

I don’t like Mexican or Chinese, so I can’t honestly judge. :expressionless:

The South is seriously lacking in good Pizza joints.

** The Best Burger in Creation comes from a local chain (Nashville) called Fat Mo’s.
Do you like cheese? You will be asked what kind you want-7 kinds!! Enough green stuff to make a salad at no extra charge (on the burger , I mean). Vidalia Onions-sweet & wonderful! Meat patties ground from fresh that day! Patties the size of MANHOLE COVERS!
Halapinios for your burger-no extra charge!
If you want a special topping for your burgers, call ahead in advance–they will send an employee to the store to buy it for you at a very nominal fee!
14 different flavors of ice cream for milkshakes! Milkshakes big enough to drown a dog in!
Fries from heaven !!! Huge helpings of everything!
Fat Mo’s is burger paradise! They call themselves-“What Hamburgers Were Before Fast Food.” It’s true!
When passing through Nashville** <font size=6> Eat At Fat Mo’s! :D</font>

We have met the enemy, and He is Us.–Walt Kelly

Depends. If someone else was doing the cooking, serving and cleaning up, I guess I’d prefer home-cooked. Around here, though, I’m the cooker, server and cleaner-upper and, frankly, sometimes driving through some drive-in sounds one hell of a lot better than cooking one more meal.

Jess

Full of 'satiable curtiosity

No, go ahead, Daniel. Tell us how you really feel. Don’t hold back.

Sheesh. You wear a sandwich board for extra pocket change?

And for that matter, “halapinios???”

-andros-

“Listen Children Eternal Father Eternally One!” Exceptions? None!
-Doc Bronner

As a vegetarian, my view of fast food is a bit different than most. Taco Bell ranks higher on my scale just because they offer more stuff that I can eat… however I haven’t eaten there in 6 months, since the last time my husband and I went through their drive-thru and ended up with horrible food poisoning for the next 48 hours.

McDonalds… I like for breakfast. Egg McMuffins w/no meat and egg & cheese biscuits are yummy.
Burger King has good breakfasts too.
BK Kid’s Meals beat out Happy Meals for toys. (My son loves cheeseburger happy meals with “no meat, no pickles”)

KFC is good, because there are potatoes, veggies, biscuits, and other stuff… Boston Market is better for that stuff though.

Wendy’s is good for baked potatoes and Frostys, but it seems like it takes forever to get food there, so does it really qualify as “fast” food?

Btw, speaking of fast food and breakfast, does anyone else’s local McDonalds have the all you can eat breakfast buffets on the weekends?

>^,^<
“Cluemobile? You’ve got a pickup…”
OpalCat’s site: http://opalcat.com
The Teeming Millions Homepage: fathom.org/teemingmillions

I like Subway and other sub sandwich places, although sometimes I get heartburn from them. But it’s worth it.

I love Big Macs (so shoot me!). I used to love Wendy’s chili until I found out what was in it from this board. Wendy’s has great chicken, especially the Monterey Jack Chicken Sandwich (which isn’t currently available, durn it).

Hardees has moved out of my area, to be replaced by Burger King. I used to love their sourdough hamburger and chicken sandwiches with bacon, but that’s about all they had going for them.

Taco Bell–I don’t go there often because there’s a long line of BYU students in the drive-thru at all hours of the day, and because I don’t care for some of their food. I mean, you’ve got to question their methods of measurement when they call a tiny little sorry-excuse-for-a-burrito a “Big Beef Meximelt.” The only thing “big” about it is the price. Give me Del Taco’s nachos or chili fries any day.

I liked Arby’s’s Santa Fe Chicken sandwich when they had it, but they’ve removed it from the menu.

The best one? IMO, it’s got to be Wendy’s.

I’m surprised none of the southwestern denizens of SDMB has mentioned Whataburger yet. I used to live in that region and I can tell you nothing I have ever had, fast-food wise, will ever measure up to the luscious, made to order burgers that the wonderful Whataburger corporation has unleashed. Yum!

If you’re ever in Hemet, California (and there’s really no reason why you should be…) drop by Cris’ Juicy Burger and experience a little bit of culinary nirvana.

Taco Bell: I don’t know what the hell they’re putting in their so-called “beef” burritos but it sure as hell ain’t beef. Or food for that matter.

Tim
“My hovercraft is full of eels.”