Who is the least religious of the candidates?

I used to have friends who went to Foundry United Methodist, who said that Clinton was an active and well liked member of the congregation when her husband was President. I believe she taught an adult Sunday school class occasionally. Foundry is probably the second most liberal Methodist church in the DC area after Dumbarton (which IIRC modified the Lord’s Prayer to make it gender inclusive), so we’re not talking evangelical here. Closer to UUs, in fact. But everyone I spoke with there seemed to agree that she was sincere and thoughtful about her faith, whatever you thought of her public role or her husband.

I’m an atheist now, so not inclined to think more highly of someone for being a “good” Christian, but at least in this area she does not seem to be a hypocrite, nor a whacko.

He quoted from “two Corinthians” when he was speaking at Liberty University, so while I won’t pretend to know his religious beliefs, its pretty clear he hasn’t spent much time in a Church.

Some guy at Liberty University wrote that for him, and admitted his mistake. For all we know Trump gets up every morning and thanks God for making him a billionaire. I don’t see any of them being all that religious.

I’ve never been religious, but I’ve read/heard convincing secular arguments against abortion. FWIW, most of them have been based on science and natural rights that come from existence and exclude any sort of God talk. I’ve gone back and forth on the issue in my personal life.

I also think there is a huge difference between what any of these guys say they believe to get votes and what they actually believe. I could totally believe that Rand is not religious.

But Trump is a Christian. He may not be devout, but he is a Presbyterian, and aligned with a version of white Christian culture. He is denounced as insufficiently conservative by a selection of fundamentalists, but that doesn’t make him not a Christan; so is, well, practically anyone, including fundamentalists themselves.

I’d rather he emancipate us from the plutocrats via labour camp for the benefit of the American volksgemeinschaft

You’re losing me.

As I said, it’s possible, but pretty rare. I’d also say that natural rights are about as supernatural as God.

Certainly, although he has internalized much of his father’s kookiness, it makes religion not seem very implausible.

Trump is a businessman. More of a crook really. He is not religious. He is a manipulative, fascist, xenophobic megalomaniac who will turn the USA into the most hated nation on the planet and easily the target of more attacks. He has no sympathy. He has all the hallmarks of a narcissist and a sociopath. He is not a Republican. He does not even want to be in the same room as the rest of the GOP candidates, as evidenced by holding his own separate rally at the same time. He believes he is untouchable. He believes he cold shoot a man on fifth avenue and not lose any votes. And his popularity grows.

Wrote what for him? I’m sure it said “2 Corinthians” on whatever he was reading off of, that’s why its funny. Even most non-Christians who live in Christian countries would’ve absorbed enough through osmosis to know that’s pronounced “2nd Corinthians”.

Eh, I generally don’t doubt it when candidates say they’re religious. In Trumps case though, he barely puts in the effort to pretend.

Today’s New York Times has an article Some in Iowa Surprised by Hillary Clinton’s Ease With Faith, which discusses Clinton’s apparent deep but not well-publicized Methodist faith and how it sometimes unexpectedly comes out in campaigning.

That’s a stretch. I was raised Catholic, went largely to Catholic schools and while I recognized the error when it was pointed out, had I been reading “2 Corinthians”, I would have said “Two Corinthians”. My brain would not have automatically fixed it. Having said that, I don’t think Trump is the least bit religious, as I posted up-thread.

What, don’t you want a volksge in your mineshaft?!

Actually I think it would be super-cool if there was at least ONE world leader who have had a trans-personal experience, some spiritual insights or access to higher cognitive functions than “formal operational” or “rational”.

Hillary’s been known as a Methodist for a long, long time. That denomination also fits her personality. A story from another blog about her.

So long ago that history in general doesn’t seem to reach that far, the Pharaohs of Egypt discovered that human beings will empower and lionize someone who can cultivate the image of being other than merely human. To be seen as magical, larger-than-life, divine, and a bit inhuman is a hard trick to pull off, but a ticket to awesome authority. And indeed the very tradition of human authority rests on this magic.

Trump is a talented magician. He’s spent his life and his wealth on building the fame of “Donald Trump”; he’s named bits of the landscape after himself. He’s made “Donald Trump” into something like a fictional, or mythic, figure. He is a part of the collective psyche now, like King Arthur or John Henry. That’s powerful stuff.

He’s about as libertarian as Stalin.:rolleyes: His views on abortion are straight out of the Evangelist Christian handbook.http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/04/06/3643093/rand-paul-not-libertarian/
Rand Paul Opposes Abortion Rights, Sponsored Legislation That Would Make All Abortions Illegal
*Rand Paul vehemently opposes abortion rights. He is a sponsor of “The Life at Conception Act,” a radical piece of legislation associated with the personhood movement that says “human life begins at the moment of conception, and therefore is entitled to legal protection from that point forward.” The purpose of the legislation is to outlaw all abortion. *

Rand Paul Opposes Same-Sex Marriage, Finds It ‘Offensive’
Rand Paul is a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage. Paul said the idea of a marriage between a same-sex couples “offends myself and a lot of people.”

Rand Paul Supports A Massive Increase In Defense Spending
Rand Paul Opposes The Legalization Of Marijuana
Rand Paul Suggested Putting People In Prison For Listening To ‘Radical Political Speeches’

http://www.religionnews.com/2015/04/06/five-faith-facts-rand-paul-faith-never-easy/

Yeah, I don’t understand how either of the Pauls gets labeled “libertarian”. Ron Paul is a fairly standard right-wing authoritarian who happens to like marijuana, and his son is the same except without the pot.

His reversal on cutting military spending seemed like a pretty jaded action to make himself more acceptable as a Republican presidential candidate

Could we have a site for that?

Here. There’s also a link to the audio of the speech.

Quote bolded same as in article.