Who knows their obscure early 1970s bands? (I'm looking at you, Satan)

Someone please help me with this–I’m thinking of a band, but I can’t remember their name. It’s from the late '60s and early 70s, and it’s made up of three (or maybe four? They might have added a member.) young girls, and at least two of them were sisters. They were all painfully untalented. Seriously, they couldn’t play their instruments or sing worth shit, but they’re weirdly mesmerizing to listen to. Also, if this helps, the band name (I think) began with a s or t. It’s eating at my brain–help me please!

Is it “Starguard,” as seen in the movie “Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts CLub Band?”

From the description, it could hardly be any other band. There was an interesting article on them, I think in The New Yorker, not too terribly long ago.

There’s a fan page that’s got the basics about them.

Well, it’s a bit before my timeline, but I’m agreeing that The Shaggs are the group you are thinking about. Let us know how rackensack did, and we shll commence upon golf-clapping if that poster is correct.

Yer pal,
Satan

TIME ELAPSED SINCE I QUIT SMOKING:
One month, one week, 6 hours, 2 minutes and 57 seconds.
1490 cigarettes not smoked, saving $186.26.
Life saved: 5 days, 4 hours, 10 minutes.

Satan:

Golf-claps. Great. Given that one can pretty much count on a dope-slap for a wrong answer around here, looks like the downside risk is pretty high for very little upside. Sheesh.

Looks like I need to go find a nice, respectable penis-related topic to post to instead . . . .

My first thought was the Runaways with Cherie and Marie Curie, also Joan Jett.

The Runaways were much later that the timeframe in the OP, and do not begin with an “S” or “T,” so if it is them, ThisYearsGirl has some explaining to do… :wink:

Yer pal,
Satan

I HAVE BEEN SMOKE-FREE FOR:
One month, one week, 12 hours, 27 minutes and 51 seconds.
1500 cigarettes not smoked, saving $187.59.
Life saved: 5 days, 5 hours, 0 minutes.

I’ve also heard that epitaph applied to Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, Fanny, and group named Mothertrucker, who was a regional act. All three were on record labels in the early 70s.

But if I had to guess, I’d go with the Shaggs.

The Shaggs!!!

That’s them! Thank you very much! I can go on with my life now.

Er . . . Edie Brickell is only 34 years old, and the New Bohemians’ debut album Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars came out in 1987. Edie was the only girl in the band, and they were actually extremely talented.

My favorite obscure band from the 70’s in Crabby Appleton. If anyone has heard of them, I’d like to shake your hand.

Their second best song went like this:

“We’d like to thank all of our fans
We’ll be with you til the end”

I always think, “what fans”?

“Crabby Appleton?” As in Tom Terrific’s evil nemesis?

– Uke, who never travels far without a little Big Star

[hijack]

Uke:

So I have to know . . . was the notion of Big Star provoked by the slight similarity between the Crabby Appleton lyric quoted by SaxFace and the song “Thank You Friends” (lyric: “Thank you friends, wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you”)from Big Star’s 3rd/Sister Lovers? Or by the subject of obscure early 1970s bands in general?

–rackensack, who at one time owned all three original Big Star LPs on vinyl (including the original Ardent releases of the first two)

[/hijack]

Hee hee hee…

That would be telling.

Hey SaxFace, start shaking and then you can “Go Back” to whatever is you do when you aren’t doing whatever is you’re doing now…

You’re ‘Rotten to the Core’ Trumpy!

Sax-Flaco Falcon-Face

I withdraw my comment about the New Bohemians, and wish to apologize to any of their fans.

I reaffirm my comments about Fanny and Mothertrucker, however.