Who’s been vaccinated?

The wife and I got our flu shots last Thursday. Next Sunday will make eight months since my second Pfizer Covid shot, but the pharmacy told me they’re only doing immunocompromised people now. I expect the government will approve it this month, so I plan to get that third booster soon. The wife will be eligible in December.

My daughter, a nurse, and her husband, an MD, told me they’ll be getting their boosters soon, per their hospital’s reliable grapevine.

I had the AZ on an 11 week schedule earlier this year, the data on that appears to suggest that’s an optimum gap so very happy about that. I’m not surprised that Pfizer efficacy in the USA seems to be dropping off if most were done on the 3 week schedule. That’ll probably mean that many who had that are likely to need boosters sooner rather than later.

Looking likely that boosters are rolling out in the UK from this week, strictly over 50’s for now and only the Pfizer jab. So for me I’ll be having a booster of a different vaccine 5-6 months on from, and on top of, an optimally spaced initial dose. Exactly what I was hoping for. My wife is in the same boat.

My 16 year-old had her first dose about a month ago and my 14 year-old looks like he’ll be due a first dose in the next week or two. The second doses for both of them are not approved as yet but likely to be late this year and early next respectively. A sensible idea seeing as it gives time to ensure further safety data can be reviewed and the delay of the second dose gives better overall protection.

Got my second Pfizer shot today, on a 6-week schedule which is standard here. Just a sore arm again. Hopefully I’m good for well into 2022 at least.

I got my third jab today. (First one in Feb, second in March). I was surprised to find that there was absolutely no scarcity of doses. I was going to delay if there were few slots open for others to get it first, but my local Walgreens had like 25 slots available for every day this week, so I just went in and got it along with my annual flu shot.

At first I hesitated. But my pastor got one, and the Vans came to our parking lot so I got two Modernas. The second one gave me a fever (which went away after a nap) and it felt like Tom Brady punched me in the arm.

They finally had enough doses to open up second jabs for my wife’s and my categories. I got mine last Monday and she got hers this week so now we are both fully vaccinated! Yah!

Fortunately Taiwan has been doing really well again and there are very few cases.

Singapore has extended their restrictions after just experiencing their highest single-day Covid death count.

That is not good news for the wife, who is hoping finally to make a trip back to nearby Thailand early next year. If Singapore’s still having trouble, Thailand may not be so quick to reopen.

I just got a J&J booster. This is as part of a clinical trial, and my primary vaccination was Pfizer. So far, pain right after the nurse removed the needle, and not much else. But it was only about an hour ago.

They draw a LOT of vitals of blood for a clinical trial. I counted 14.

Are you receiving some cash for your discomfort? In my youth I participated in dozens of clinical studies for the $$$. I looked for studies requiring blood draws, as the paid better.

They gave me a debit card, and promised to put cash on it. It’s not a lot of money, though. $100/visit. Today i was there for 4 hours, plus driving and a hefty parking fee. They promise me that subsequent visits will be only half an hour.

I’m doing it because i want to know how well the vaccines work, and figure i can help find out by volunteering.

For drawing fourteen vials of blood, they could at least comp your parking.

Yeah, that’s what i thought. But they said the $100 was supposed to cover that.

Of course, the debit card hadn’t been activated, yet, when i had to pay the parking fee.

Yeah, the Moderna trial also gives compensation, but I’m pretty sure it’s less than my time as an attorney is actually worth. I’m salaried, but even as many hours as I work, if you were to calculate my hourly rate it would be better than a lab rat. That’s not why I signed up.

Ditto.

The compensation isn’t close to worth it. I’m paid a lot more per hour than what they are giving me. I’m doing this because it’s an important question i want answered.

To be honest, I was initially attracted to the the study as a way to get a booster before i otherwise qualified. But the regulatory wheels moved faster than i expected, and by the time I actually joined the study, i could have just gone to CVS for a booster. I decided to go ahead and do it anyway.

Also, damn i feel like shit today. Every muscle and every joint aches. And i had a headache this morning, although that’s getting better. My PCP says, “sounds like you are mounting a good B & T cell response”. I certainly hope so.

When I was “volunteering” for clinical trials I was a poor college student and the money was my only motivation. Sleep studies were my favorite; I’d get $200 a night for generic sleeping, and $400 a night for studies looking at nocturnal penile tumescence due to the embarrassment factor.

A few times I’d decline a study due to low pay with high discomfort. They coordinator might try to guilt me, but at that point in my life I wasn’t swayed by that.

I got the Moderna booster yesterday and admit I was nervous. After the second jab in April, I was miserable for 48 hours–temp of 101º, muscle aches, a cough, and just feeling like crap. I live alone. What if I felt even worse after the booster? I’m happy to say I had zero side effects. My arm wasn’t even as sore as it was after dose #2.

Got my Pfizer booster at the VA Wednesday. I had an appointment, but they were also taking walk-ins, so when I got there, they had just run out of doses and had to send for more. It took half an hour to get the doses and thaw them out, which apparently was too much effort for some people, who felt the need to complain. Meh. I had a book.
The only effect was a sore arm.

Make that five months and four days.

The government here has cut the wait for booster shots from six months down to three, so I just got my Pfizer booster today. So far, not even the sore arm I had for the last two.