Who should be the next host of "Jeopardy!"?

I thought he sounded awful and almost put me to sleep. Why they chose him as a guest host is beyond me.

To drum up interest in the show, and get people who watch football to also watch Jeopardy? This is an excellent opportunity for the producers to expand their viewership. Which is how they get paid after all.

Yeah, let me know how that works out. :pleading_face:

I’ll bet Aaron Rodgers knows some sports facts that the rest of us don’t. Are we complaining that he doesn’t know 20% of the answers, or that it’s not the 20% that we think are easy? For what it’s worth, I didn’t get “sackbut” either. I’m not sure I’ve ever even heard of one.

But it troubles me a bit that he announced it the way he did. I noticed something years ago while watching a local newscast. There was some heavily science-based story, and then the camera cut back to the two smiling newsreaders behind the desk and one of them said “and I didn’t understand any of that.” I know that he was trying to seem friendly and approachable, but it troubled me a bit. I don’t expect everybody to know everything, but shows that have the purpose of educating and informing us should set a high bar. How much better would it be to smile and say “we learned something new today”, that is the Jeopardy! way.

I’m going to hazard a guess he wouldn’t have commented on it if it hadn’t been such a ridiculous word. Come on, “sackbut”?

Yes, I’m sure he knows tons of sports trivia, while I admittedly know almost none. I pretty much go into hibernation mode whenever a sports column comes up.

Sackbut (from Old French saqueboute, “pull-push”): An early trombone invented in the 15th century, probably in Burgundy. It has thicker walls than the modern trombone, imparting a softer tone, and its bell is narrower. :slight_smile:

This was apparently a mistranslation:

More info here

http://www.kjvtoday.com/home/sackbut-or-a-stringed-instrument-in-daniel-35-et-al

and here:

May I remind you that none of the contestants knew, either. You might need to recalibrate your obscurity-meter.

And yet again, you knowing something does not mean it was objectively an easy question that everyone else should know. I have never heard of a sackbut either. Neither did the three contestants.

I am also almost certain I’ve heard Alex comment on never having heard of an answer before as well.

Yeah, it’s one of those clues that you either know it or you don’t. You’re not going to “figure it out.” I am pretty confident I’ve never run across that word in conversation or in print in my 59 years on this rotating orb.

I’ve heard the word “sackbut,” but I wouldn’t call it especially commonplace. And yes, as @Eyebrows_0f_Doom says, Alex occasionally mentioned not having previously heard of an answer. It’s not the horrible faux pas people seem to be thinking.

That said, I really didn’t care for Aaron Rodgers as host. I found his voice very dull and droning, and he way over-used the rhetorical pause (“That…is correct.”). Maybe he’ll get better over the next two weeks, but right now he may be my least favorite guest host so far.

Well, my wife and I both watch football, (Go Pack!) and watch Jeopardy! I also know people that don’t watch football, and don’t watch Jeopardy! It means…nothing.

I actually doubt that. He was kind of full of himself, and it showed as a host.

But he sure could pronounciate French wurds purty.

The only reason I’ve ever heard of a sackbut is that I was a music major in college. On that basis, I hereby declare that sackbuts are obscure and there’s nothing wrong with commenting that you’ve never heard of them.

And yeah, Aaron Rodgers sounded to me like he was half asleep. They should have coached him to do a better “TV” voice.

“The Old Man and the Sea”. Look in the dictionary under “easiest video daily doubles”, and you’ll see a picture of this clue.

I think I encountered "sackbut’ in an annotated Shakespeare, in high school. (Obscure words tend to stick in my brain.) And mentally, it’s always paired with “hautboy” (archaic spelling of “oboe”).

I think 90% of the challenge of being the host is rotating between the variations of “right” “correct” “yes” and “got it”.

Full disclosure - I’m a Cal football fan, and therefore an Aaron Rodgers fan. I thought he did well – better than Dr Oz, not as good as the Exec Producer Guy. My only note to him would be to speak a tad slower. And I think his revelation about sackbut probably endeared him to the Everyman in the audience.

In all fairness, every guest host started rough. (Did everyone see Trebek’s first game, when they were rerunning the classics? He got better.)

But, only Dr Oz actually got worse as the two weeks progressed!

I was actually looking forward to Aaron Rodgers hosting, because eye candy. But I had never heard him speak. Put me to sleep, and not in a good way.

[quote=“Arcite, post:315, topic:925460, full:true”]

I can excuse his not knowing about it, and do I realize that not everyone is into classical music. Still, it was more the way he said it that put me off. Like “Yeah, I never heard of it either … and I really don’t give a shit. Duh, next question…”

He really didn’t need to comment on it at all. Or, a simple “Tough question!” would have sufficed.

No offense, but … in my experience, the area of intersection between the two on a Venn diagram would be exceedingly small. Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

Perfectly natural, since he grew up in a bilingual home. He also graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Philosophy and originally planned to go into broadcast news. I think he was one helluva lot smarter than you give him credit for.