Who will be Prime Minister of Iraq next week?

President Fuad Masum has designated Haider Al-Abadi to replace Nouri al-Maliki. (They’re both Shi’ites and both of the Islamic Dawa Party.) But al-Maliki’s faction is calling that decision unconstitutional.

However:

So – is Iraq going to have another civil war to deal with, at the same time as trying to deal with ISIS?

Iran endorses Al-Habadi, BTW. Which means al-Maliki can’t hope for support from the Iranian-backed Shi’a militia, Asa’ib Ahl al-Haq. The question is not whether he can win this fight, I think that’s out of the question, but whether fighting can be avoided.

These guys don’t seem super focused on the north half of their country being invaded.

But it sounds like pretty much everyone is done with Maliki up to including his own party. So my money is on the other guy.

Saddam Hussein survived something like four assassination attempts.

This guy’s no Saddam Hussein.

That settles that, I think.

And puts the U.S. in the uncomfortable position of being (I presume) on the same side as Iran – and not for the first time since ISIS invaded Iraq.

Not it!

Or, well, I Don’t Know . . .

I understand Anthony Weiner is between gigs.

True.

Happens pretty often, actually. Saddam, the Taliban, al-Qaida, ISIS, al-Maliki up until, what, a coupla days ago - and now this Al-Abadi fella, too.

I don’t know if it makes the US uncomfortable, but any common ground that can be found is a plus, in my opinion.

Al-Maliki still won’t step down.

"Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki has stepped aside, ending political deadlock in Baghdad as the government struggles against insurgents.

He resigned on state TV to make way for Haider al-Abadi, who was asked by Iraq’s president to form a government."

Iraq lucks out for once! :slight_smile:

But. But. Wasn’t Maliki “our guy” for both Bush and Obama? That Bush had regular phone conversations with him and that Obama chose to support him in his reelection bid–even though he came in second?

Not anymore, apparently.

Saddam was ‘our guy’ at one point. Being ‘our guy’ and 5 dollars will get you a great cup of coffee.