Why are butt cleaning toilet attachments not more popular in America/the west?

This is what I’m referring to. They’re little hand held shower-like attachments that are fitted next to the toilet. After you’re done with your business, you lean forward, use the attachment to direct a jet of water at your nethers, and then wipe dry with toilet paper(which comes away nice and clean on the first go). They’re quite common in much of SE Asia, India, and possibly other parts of the world that I haven’t visited.

Every American I’ve met who has used one(and with whom the subject has come up) is a convert. I know there are a few posters here who have used it in their travels and have gotten them installed at home. How is it that this is a product that isn’t more widely installed?

As shown, it would be COLD water. No thank you.

I have used, and wish to own, a bidet toilet seat that heats water and sprays the anus.

There are very, very few circumstances in which I have felt the need to spray my anus with water. A couple of wipes with paper is absolutely proficient in accomplishing the task.

Do modern American homes have an electric outlet near the toilet?

You don’t wash your ass in the shower?

Well, ya.

They’re not really popular in Singapore, but getting more and more popular.

I’ve always wondered: with bidets, how do you dry yourself? Won’t TP break up and leave little pieces everywhere?

I’ve thought about using it when I have those peanut butter shits that require 30 wipes, but a variety of things come to mind which I’m guessing there are cures for, but that always bothered me.
How do you keep the dirty water from getting all over your hands, the sprayer, running down your legs, etc. after you spray it on yourself. I sometimes miss the toilet bowl peeing from 2 feet away.

How do you control the water temperature to make it comfortable

How do you ensure that when you wipe with toilet paper afterwards the paper does not end up a ripped, damp mess that just creates a new mess.

1. It never happens. It’s a narrow beam of water.

2. With a dial. Select the temp you like.

3. This has happened to me on occasion, but only when I was in a rush. Use reasonable quality toilet paper and it shouldn’t be a problem. Less of a problem than skidmarks anyway.

I would use one of those. As Adam Corolla once said, it’s like trying to push peanut butter through a shag carpet with a cotton ball.

If you have hot water piped through your house, I see no reason why the attachment couldn’t be modified to deliver water at a desirable temperature the same way every other tap/shower in your house does. This isn’t much of an objection.

Edit - I apologise in advance for not using multi-quote. I access the board through a proxy and it breaks the button.

Have you tried the attachment? I’ve used both systems. Toilet paper only and Spray+toilet paper. The spray is vastly superior. Maybe it’s just because I’m used to it, but I’ve yet to come across someone who has used both and didn’t prefer the spray, even those who were brought up TP only. I have no doubt such people exist, but my experience leads me to believe they’re in the minority.

Why would it be needed?

My mistake. I didn’t check the OP picture link. I was talking about bidet toilet seats. :smack:

Doesn’t happen because you’re not spraying from 2 feet away. It’s like a hand shower with a more directed jet. You lean forward, reach the nozzle behind you, and spray. It doesn’t miss, and it doesn’t splash over stuff. The water hits and falls into the toilet

The ones in Asia don’t need a temperature control, but you could do it exactly the way you do it with your other plumbing attachments. How do you control water temperature on taps and showers? FWIW, I’ve used it in almost zero degree temperatures and not felt particularly uncomfortable.

[/QUOTE]

Never happened to me. If you’re concerned, you just have to pat dry so that most of the water is absorbed and then wipe.

I’m not sure what those are, although I’ve also seen and used nozzles that are built into/under the toilet seat. I don’t like those as much. Even those don’t need an electrical outlet though, so maybe I’m talking about something else.

What I’m talking of is not really a bidet. But yea, your ass is wet. No the TP doesn’t break and leave pieces, especially not if you pat dry to absorb most of the water first, and then if you still want, wipe dry.

With other plumbing fixtures, either the water is heated on-demand locally, usually with a natural gas burner, or else it is connected to the house hot water system. The link you provided shows that the device is connected to the toilet water input, which in most houses is unheated water. There does not appear to be any mechanism there to heat the water.

The kind of bidet seat that **gaffa **was referring to, such as the Toto Washlet, does what your device does without the need to get off the seat. A wand comes out of the seat and sprays warmed water either at your ass or your front (for ladies). It also comes with a heated seat, and with a hot air dryer, if you trust that the wand got you completely clean (I don’t use it, the water doesn’t always get everything). It does require an electrical outlet hear the toilet, for heating the seat, the water and the air for the blower, and also for driving the wand mechanism. I think this is why these are only ever installed as part of a remodel or new construction, because most people have an exaggerated idea of the cost of installing an additional outlet. We have two of these in our house and find them indispensable.
Roddy

First off - The device that I’m referring to doesn’t require you to get off the seat either. It works pretty much as the ‘wand’ under your seat, except that you’re responsible for directing it, so I like it better. I supposed that accessing the hot water plumbing wouldn’t be difficult in installing the device. Perhaps I’m wrong, so that may explain why in cold regions this system isn’t used. (Still, I’ve used it at close to freezing temperatures. Never had a problem). Do warmer parts of the US use it more?

They’re not? Most of the public toilets and office toilets I see have them (easily 50%)

In the home? Not sure, but you do see them.

And your last question leaves me to wonder how long you’ve been in Singapore - anymore than a month or two and I would have expected you to have used one.