Why cell phones on waist, no pockets to put it in?

So often here in Toronto I see all kinds of people with cell phones attached to their belt buckle outside their pants, what’s the problem don’t they have a pocket to put the phone in?

Whats the deal?

Or is it because they want poeple to see their cell phone?

It’s not a big deal everyone has cell phones now.

They are now so small you can put them in any pocket.

The other drawback to putting them on your waist is that people loose them all the time.

I keep mine in my breast pocket under my suite jacket out of sight and with the ringer muted, (vibration mode) and nobody knows I even have one, and yet I still feel important.

Is it because people lack importance?

"oh wow that guy has I cell phone, I can see it, wowww…

Why do you wear them on your waist?

And what’s with these stupid leather cases, they look so tacky>

Today I’m paying for gas and some jerk is trying to pay and he’s on his phone while he’s paying, I wonder if he is actually on a real call. What’s happening to people are these cell phone calls really that important, oh maybe they just don’t have voice mail they can’t go to a counter without answering it.

Moderator’s Note: IMHO? Or the BBQ Pit? Eenie-meenie-miney-moe, catch a tiger by the toe…

Hey, you know, I keep my cellphone on my belt. (It’s a big old cheap one, and it doesn’t fit in my pocket.)

To the Pit with ye.

What’s a suite jacket?

OK, I’ll answer. My husband carries his in a pouch on his belt. It’s too bulky to put in his pants pocket comfortably, and he doesn’t wear shirts that have pockets.

When I carry one, I clip it to my purse - not because I’m showing it off, but because if it was in my purse, I might not hear it ring or I might not be able to get to it before voice mail kicks in.

You gotta problem with that?

So often here in Taddlecombe-on-the-mud I see all kinds of people with wristwatches attached to their bare wrists, what’s the problem don’t they have a pocket to put the watch in?

Whats the deal?

Or is it because they want poeple to see their watch?

It’s not a big deal everyone has watches now.

They are now so small you can put them in any pocket.

The other drawback to putting them on your wrist is that people loose them when their arms are accidentally severed in a freak yoghurt-making accident.

I keep mine in my breast pocket under my suite jacket out of sight and with the hourly chime turned off and nobody knows I even have one, and yet I still feel smug and superior.

Is it because people lack importance?

"oh wow that guy can tell the time, wowww…

Why do you wear them on your wrist?

And what’s with these stupid leather cases, they look so tacky>

Today I’m paying for gas and some jerk is trying to pay and he glances at his watch while he’s paying, I wonder if he is really knows the difference between the big hand and the ickle hand at all. What’s happening to people, is it really that important to know the time?, oh maybe they don’t have an innate sense of time, like proper people.

cases>straps :smack:

…or in other words; is there any chance that these people are simply going about their normal lives, not even dreaming of trying to impress anyone and that Dandmb50 has an inferiority complex?

I’m baffled.

This is such a simple question that I’m amazed anyone could think it’s a fashion statement to wear phones on a belt.

People wear phones on belts because (a) they don’t have a free pocket; (b) they don’t have room in their pocket and don’t want to stretch the material; © are outdoors and want to make sure they hear the damn thing ring; (d) in a profession where easy access to the phone is important rather than fiddling around in bags or pockets (e.g. builders on construction sites).

Besides, it’s hardly a fashion statement; the “cool” mobiles are generally so small nowadays that they do fit in pockets; most belt-worn ones tend to be clunkier models that you’d hardly be “showing off”.

Belt-clipper over here… Putting a phone in your jacket pocket is nice until you take your jacket off. Putting a phone in your pants pocket is nice until you sit down. Maybe if I always wore loose fitting pants it wouldn’t be a problem, but how could I deny the ladies a nice view of my buns?

They’d never forgive me :smiley:

good points, but that’s why I don’t wear a watch either.

Hahaha! look at all these bloody people who continually try to prove to me that they are affluent enough to buy shoes!

Comfort - phone is too bulky
No vibrate mode and sound is too muted to hear it ringing in a pocket
got that phone holder bag and just figures they are suppose to use it.

Comfort is a consideration, but I keep my phone in a pouch on my belt simply because it was supplied with one and I choose to. It would fit in my pocket, but if I put it in the back pocket of my jeans it might get broken when I sit down and if I put it in the front pocket, I’d have to stand up to get it out. If I put it in a jacket pcket, I won’t have it with me if I take the jacket off; some of my casual shirts have top pockets, but if I put it in there it might slip out if I stoop to tie my shoes.

No, the belt really is the most convenient place, why shouldn’t I?

Personally, I wear mine on my belt because I have trouble hearing the ringer if it’s in my pocket any I’m somewhere noisy. (And I don’t like vibrate, it startles the hell out of me.)

Many phones have big bare battery charging contacts on them, and the instructions warn against putting them in a pocket with metal objects that could short them out. Many phones also have a data connector which is a hole with no cover, and you don’t want pocket lint or anything getting in there.

Bless you, my dear! [sub]so, you got a photo of said buns?? ;)[/sub]

Sorry, to appreciate them in all their glory, one must see them in the flesh…

Also a belt-guy, mostly because my cell phone is my work phone and it’s a pain in the butt to get a phone out of your pocket while seated.

I think I then wear it other places out of habit, and it is darn convenient.

If people really think I’m showing off my cellphone, they must have a rough life, any jackass can get a cellphone at a convenience store.

I don’t think I own a single article of clothing that has pockets, except for my bathrobe. I can’t even imagine how uncomfortable it would be in a pants pocket! I keep mine in my purse most of the time, but I often don’t hear it.

I have two cells phones. Does that make me twice as important?