Why did Michael feel he had to kill Fredo?

No one has mentioned the fact that Michael tells Tom later in GFII that the reason he pushed Tom out of the family business is so he could always trust Tom, so he would always have someone who could protect his family if he needed them to.

In “The Godfather Saga” where parts I and II are shown in chronological order, a scene, deleted from Part II, shows Michael ordering the murder of Fabrizio who is running a pizzeria in the U.S. You then get to see Fabrizio’s car blow up.

So Michael obviously had a long memory about what happened in Sicily to Appolonia.

It’s ** Woltz **.

I feel like a clear explanation has been missed here.

My understanding was always that Fredo had set Micheal up for the hit early in the film, without actually knowing they were going to try and kill him. I don’t know what * else * he thought they were going to do, but that isn’t detailed.

Somewhere later in the movie, there is a moment, I think it’s in Cuba, where Fredo says something while they are watching the sex show that reveals that he had been there before, maybe with Moe Green…something, I can’t remember the details of what it was, but it essentially reveals a lie to Micheal. We get a shot of the light dawning in Micheal’s face, and that is what prompts him to say “I knew it was you, Fredo”. Prior to that moment, he did NOT know it was Fredo.

Can anyone fill in the detail of this? how does Fredo’s tongue slip reveal himself to Micheal, and what was the slip of the tongue anyway?

Earlier that day Michael introduces Fredo to Roth’s people and Fredo pretends it is the first time he has met Johnny Olaf or Hyman Roth. Later at the disgusting sex show (Michael is offended, but he already knows Fredo is a perv) Fredo says that he found this place because Johnny Olaf showed it too him, but that it is too much for the old man (Hyman Roth). Well, Fredo wasn’t supposed to have known either before that evening on a personal basis.

It’s Johnny Ola. He’s Italian, not Norwegian. If he had been Norwegian, the movie would have had a much different spin. I doubt Norwegians wear orange suits however.

Of course, I misspelled Woltz, so I should probably stop correcting people.

However, DPWhite has the story right. The whole Havana episode proves that Fredo, despite what he thinks, isn’t very smart.

I thought the whole thing about Fredo was that he was “slow”? And Sonny, even though he was supposed to be the oldest, was too much of a hothead?

Fredo is very “slow” in Part I, but in Part II he actually seems like he has gotten a lot more intelligent. He’s not the brightest star in the Corleone constellation, but he’s improved from being the bumbler who can’t even hold on to his gun while his father is being gunned down.

Moe Green must have been a good influence on him.

I’ll say!

Fredo: How do you say “banana daiquiri”?
Michael: Banana daiquiri.
Fredo: Really?

:slight_smile:

The best part of this is how the camera focuses on Michael’s face at this point. As soon as Ola’s name is mentioned, Michael’s eyes immediately shoot towards Fredo, and in a couple seconds, you see Michael put everything together in his head. He’s clearly devastated that his own brother would betray him.

I don’t understand why Pacino didn’t win for Best Actor for that performance. That scene, and the scene in the boathouse at the end, are masterpieces of getting a simple look exactly right.

1975 was a tough year. Jack Nicholson was also nominated for “Chinatown” and Dustin Hoffman for “Lenny”.

Of course, few of us will forget Art Carney in “Harry and Tonto”. :slight_smile:

If only Michael Corleone had owned a cat like his father did …

One of the things that strikes me so strongly in GII is how little pleasure Michael seems to get from anything. It’s all business, business, business, even at his son’s birthday (which put the worst Beverly Hills bar mitzvahs to shame). I can’t recall a smile in the whole movie, although I know there must have been one.

If that’s what your life has become, who gives a shit? Why bother?

stoid

Jesus. I just looked at the competition and I don’t understand it either. Maybe he and Nicholson split the votes … :confused:

Actually, the year Al pacino was up for Best Actor in “The Godfather Part 2,” the Oscar went NOT to Jack Nicholson but to Art Carney, for “Harry & Tonto.”

Now, I loved “The Honeymooners” as much as anyone, but Carney simply didn’t deserve the award. He won it because Hollywood has an unfortunate tendency to give people Oscars simply for being old! (Think of how George Burns, the STAR of “The Sunshine Boys,” was given Best SUPPORTING Actor).

Strangely enough, Pacino had a BIGGER role than Marlon Brando in “The Godfather,” but was nominated as Best SUPPORTING Actor!

I watch the first one, and I can’t believe how YOUNG Pacino looks…so sexy, too.

He just looks so different now.

Did they include in the movie Lucy and her whole subplot? YOu know, the girl with the um…big…uh-sexual problem?

Yes, I know. Hence my theory that Pacino and Nicholson split the votes between them, preventing either of them from winning and allowing an also-ran like Art Carney to take the little gold statue home.

Bull pucky Bob, It’s Olaf, and he is Norweigian. Havent’ you ever seen a Saab or Volvo bomb? Lot’s of Norweigian mobsters, just like “jewish” mobsters. It is what makes the story more interesting. Just kidding. Thanks for the correction.

The academy does not like to give evil characters the award. Most of the Godfather performances have been superb. The fellow who played Fredo certainly did as fine or better an acting job as any supporting actor winner (like Robin Williams miserable performance in Good Will Hunting) ever has. He played a thoroughly unlikeable character in a sympathetic and intelligent fashion. I forget the fella’s name (died a few years back), but what an great job with this character!

As a quick aside, did you guys realize that Johnny Ola was played by the same guy that plays Uncle Junior on the Sopranos? A couple of the guys in Tony’s crew were also in the Godfather, as I recall.

And Tony’s nephew Christopher was ‘Spider’ in Goodfellas. Lorraine Bracco, who plays the psychiatrist, was Ray Liotta’s wife in Goodfellas.

Back to The Godfather (Parts I and II taken together are by far my favorite movies).

The actor’s name is John Cazale. He didn’t do many films, but he did great ones. He did the two Godfather films, “The Conversation”, “Dog Day Afternoon”, and “The Deer Hunter”. He died of cancer before the latter was released.