Why do women like "Slash Fiction" man on man action? Kirk/Spock! That's just wrong!

As Giles once said, “I believe the subtext here is rapidly becoming text”.

Refresh my memory; which ep was that??? roots through box o’ tapes.

Yeah, until that little kidnapping incident :smiley:

Pepperlandgirl makes a really good point. I think there tends to be more slash when it comes to shows that are already kind of slashy in themselves. I mean, you barely have to do any work to write Smallville slash, and there are a hojillion Firefly slash fics when that show hardly aired.

Heh, the same ep where Angel wore the pink helmet. First Impressions 2.03.

“Hop on, gorgeous!” Yeah, that slash writes itself.

Heh. You find slash disturbing? I find the weird incest stories that people in the Harry Potter and LotR fandoms craft FAR more disturbing. (Those are the only two I’ve read. Well, and a little Sherlock Holmes, which is generally not as disturbing.) It only gets weirder in the HP-verse when the author decides that ALL the characters are going to be in horribly age inappropriate relationships . . . gah! Now that’s a peeve of mine – I’m perfectly cool with slashy relationships. Heck, a Lupin/Black relationship even makes sense. But there’s no need for Ginny or Hermione or Draco to seduce Professor Snape, okay? (Or DUMBLEDORE!) Even if all the pairings conveniently happen in seventh year.

Argh. Sorry. The Snape luvverin’ just twigs me out.

Anyway, rest assured that there are stranger things out there than Kirk/Spock slash.

Than your lucky stars my selfcontrol has won a rare victory and this post does not contain Dawn/Buffy, and Connor/Angel

I too am troubled that such stories even exist. Hogwarts is usually portrayed in the books as a great school, the sort any kid would love to attend. Sure, some classes are boring and some teachers are unfair, but most are good. Some kids are bullies, but most are nice. The stuff students learn is interesting and useful, and they have plenty of opportunity to play games, eat candy, and have fun with their friends. It’s a bit upsetting to me that some people can look at the setting Rowling created and say “You know what would make this idealized learning institution even better? If teachers were screwing their adolescent students!”

And aside from being pervy, it’s not even remotely consistent with the text. I can buy that the administration might be willing to turn a blind eye to late-teens students gettin’ busy with each other, but there’s no way Dumbledore would tolerate sexual relationships between teachers and students. And under Muggle law at least, it wouldn’t be legal even if the student were of age. But people have the right to write whatever weirdo stories they like, just as I have the right to keep far, far away from them.

Yes, I’ve read a lot of them.

No, it wasn’t incredulity. I would have used the Incredulous Smiley for that.
Just pointing out a fact.

About text and plausibility:

I don’t know about anyone else, but when I’m writing a slashy story, I’m not seeking to write a dissertation on “Homoerotic Subtext in Star TreK” or in LOTR, or whatever. This is not my doctoral thesis; it’s a sex fantasy. I’ll use whatever I can get out of the book, film, TV series, etc. as a basis for story ideas, but I’m not trying to provide incontrovertable textual proof that my two chosen characters are actually “doing it.” After all, if that were a Yes or No question with only one possible answer, then I’d only have one story to write about them, and where’s the fun in that? The more subtext there is to base a multitude of scenarios on, the better.

Having a near-canonical relationship to work with is very good. For example, I’ve written Garak/Bashir for years; Andy Robinson has often said that he’s played Garak as being attracted to Bashir, and it’s nice to have his support. :slight_smile: However, it’s not absolutely necessary to have that to write about a pairing. Some people can do it on the slenderest of premises, using only their desire to see two characters they find attractive get together, without worrying about how plausible it might be. And some pairings, yes, I do find extremely bizarre, highly unlikely, or even a bit disturbing, but if it’s what the writer likes, who I am to tell her she shouldn’t do it? If it’s something I don’t care for, I just don’t read it.