Just an observation, but recently I’ve noticed that ESPN–haven’t seen it other places–where they call Aaron Jones Sr and Deebo Samuel Sr, but why? I mean, neither player has son playing in league, so is there a need to identify them as such?
There may be other players so identified that I missed.
I’ve seen it on jerseys. I assume it’s the way the player wants to be called and the networks are fine with that.
Exactly this. Before maybe 8-10 years ago, the only addition to the surname that the NFL allowed on jerseys was an initial (or even a first name) if there were multiple players on a team with the same surname.
But, then, the NFL additionally started allowing players to put modifiers (Jr, Sr, II, III, etc.) on their jerseys, as part of their names, even if such modifiers aren’t needed to distinguish between players on a team; a lot of players have done so, I am guessing as a way to further customize/personalize their uniforms.
It sounds like that has now carried through to how the players’ names are displayed by ESPN.
BTW, a pet peeve of mine is attaching the “junior” to the last name. If your name is John Smith Junior, the uniform should perhaps say “John Junior,” but not “Smith Junior.”
“But y’all doesn’t have to call me Smith!”
The rule in the NFL was changed in 2012. RG3 was the first to do it. His jersey said “Griffin III”.
A bit longer ago than I’d thought - thank you!
I think it’s ridiculous for any player to have junior or senior beside their name unless both the junior and senior are famous in their own right.
I think the same. Which led me to check whether Aaron Judge has a son named Aaron. The answer is no; or more accurately, not yet.
Perhaps he wants to keep the option open so all his records in the Big Book won’t later be confused with his future maybe kid who maybe will play MLB. Maybe.
Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees doesn’t have a Sr. designation on his jersey - Aaron Jones of the Minnesota Vikings does.
“Ridiculous” is a little much, don’t you think? What possible harm does this do? Let people be called what they want to be called.
Do’h!
That ship sailed long ago.
Precisely.
This sounds like pointless contract riders intended to make the players feel important like a band insisting on a bowl of just green M&Ms in their dressing room.
While some bands may do those pointlessly, that requirement for the bowl of green M&Ms (or whatever it was) was put in place for a specific reason. The band wanted to make sure that their staging requirements were carefully read and followed or else there would be safety and quality issues. If the green M&Ms weren’t there they had to go over every last line of their requirements with the setup crew because they knew that someone hadn’t read it carefully.
Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees doesn’t have any name at all on his jersey because he’s on the New York Yankees.
As a longtime NFL fan, I think that this is part of an overall movement by the league over the last 10-15 years, to try to allow its players to express themselves more.
For decades, the NFL was frequently referred to as the “No Fun League,” because of its stringent requirements on uniformity of uniforms (no funky cleats, no non-standard wristbands, stringent rules on jersey numbers, etc.), banning non-spontaneous celebrations, etc. Combined with the fact that the helmets and facemasks obscure players’ faces, there were many who felt that the players were anonymous to fans.
The Sr/Jr/II/III on jersey names, allowing players to wear customized cleats on certain weekends, allowing choreographed group celebrations after touchdowns, loosening the rules on jersey numbers, etc., have all been done in the name of allowing more expression for the players, and (I am sure the league hopes) more fan engagement, and more merchandise sales.
A few years back there was a player on the Kansas City Chiefs, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, who had completed med school at McGill University. He petitioned the NFL to allow him to put “M.D.” after his name but they wouldn’t allow it.