Why don't they make apple ice cream?

My son Nick wants to know.

hmpf, urk, gag, choke…no way am I going to eat apple favored ice cream eeuuuch!
Ok wait a minute I think I said the same thing about sushi. Have to drag out the ice-cream maker this weekend, will be back with details later.

I’ve always found it easier to get forgiveness
rather than permission.
MAC

well, nick, apple ice cream just doesn’t sound very appetizing. just imagine apple juice over your vanilla ice cream. first of all, apple is usually paired up with cinnamon, and when i think of apple cinnamon anything, i think of warm stuff, like pie or freshly baked cookies. i think if you mix it with ice cream, it loses its essence.

“I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe.”

Tell your kid that apples (or apple flavorings) make the milk go sour. However you can find apple gelato (Italian ice), non-dairy sorbet, etc. (There’s lemon gelato, but no lemon ice cream for the same reason.)

Just get apple pie and put ice cream on top.

“Just get apple pie and put ice cream on top”
—sunbear

Close, sunbear. Baskin-Robbins has (had?) an apple pie ice cream. Vanilla with apple pie mixed in, crust and all. Not all that bad, actually. Little Nicky would probably like it. My kids did.
Peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …(Paraphrased)

Well, for my part, if it isn’t Blue Bell and it doesn’t have chocolate in it, then I probably won’t eat it. But, to paraphrase an old wine commercial, if you put Blue Bell Rocky Road ice cream on an apple, it doesn’t hurt the ice cream much and it does the apple a world of good.

I ate some appleish ice cream recently from Raleys, I think it was or Ralphs.

If I ate apple ice cream I guess I Would “ralph”!

An ice cream stand here in Columbus makes some great ice cream flavors - chocolate w/ chili pepper, burnt sugar, French buttercream, to name a few.

Of course, if they had MacIntosh apple flavor, they’d also have to have PC flavor, wouldn’t they? Not sure how that all works, but Apple got all those iMacs into those different flavors, right?

Ray (Would you settle for prune?)

ben and jerry’s makes a apple pie flavor, though i’ve only seen it available at the factory. pretty good, too.

-ellis

You know, I started to say that I thought I had seen a Ben & Jerry’s flavor, or at least heard of it, that had apples in it. (except that the only name I could come up with was Tom & Jerry’s)

The chain called Piu Bello (I know 2 NYC locations; I assume there are more) has several dozen (reasonable) ice cream flavors I can’t recall seing elsewhere, like tiramisu, watermelon, mango, white chocolate, pear, kiwi…

Ben & Jerry’s Honey Apple Raisin Walnut Ice Cream

1/3 cup raisins
1 cup water
2 large eggs
1/2 cup light honey
2 cups heavy or whipping cream
1 cup milk
1/4 cup apple cider jelly
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Soak the raisins in the water overnight in your refridgerator.

Whisk the eggs until light and fluffy (1 - 2 mins). Whisk in the honey, then whisk in the cream and milk.

Mix 1/2 cup of the cream mix in with the jelly in a seperate bowl. When they are mixed smooth add it back into the rest of the cream mix.

Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze per the instructions.

Drain the raisins. When the ice cream is almost done, add in the raisins and walnuts. Finish freezing the ice cream.

Makes one quart. B&J use jelly from the Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury, Vt.

From Ben & Jerry’s Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book

ben and jerry’s makes a apple pie flavor, though i’ve only seen it available at the factory. pretty good, too.
—ellis

You’ve been to the FACTORY? Nirvana!
One of my dreams is to fly back there (In the summer :slight_smile: ) for a week or so and pig out on ice cream.
Peace,
mangeorge

I’d just like to second that they have apple gelato…I ordered it and then looked in my Italian dictionary to find that I had ordered apple…so just jet the kid over to Florence…

Hey Nickrz: You can tell your quasi homonym that I find his idea way cool, indiscriminate palates supra notwithstanding (You know who you are…).

Mangeorge: Perhaps the 2000 SD symposium could be held at Ben and Jerry’s Factory, or close by :).

They do. But it’s probably a seasonal thing.
Edy’s (Grand), brand, outa Ft. Wayne, (but not the companies home office) made one recently. See if they have a distributor for the Chicago area.
Apple Pie it was called, and good too.
About $4.99 a half gallon.
Basically vanilla, with apple bits.

Ok couldn’t find the dasher (plastic paddle inside the drum) for my ice-cream maker in the shed. But tried this instead -Vanilla ice cream with Carmel/apple topping. Not bad, took the regular topping you can buy at the store and artificial apple flavoring.
[ul][li]put Carmel in a bowl[/li][li]mix in one tsp artificial apple flavoring[/li][li]heat in microwave 1 minute stir[/li][li]pour over vanilla ice cream[/ul][/li]

I’ve always found it easier to get forgiveness
rather than permission.
MAC