Why I hate CSI

I hate feeling that bewilderment/irritation that comes with hating something everyone else seems to love, so I sympathize with the CSI-haters here, BUT I love that show! LV only, naturally. (Not seen NY, hate Miami). One of the things I like is the chemistry between all the cast members and the fact that they’re all nice to look at, ESPECIALLY Warrick (Gary Diordan), oh yeah. (OK, Grissom is NOT sexy to me, although I guess other people think he’s hot).

Of course they wear make-up and heels and cute haircuts, it’s TV. What, you want to see comfortable shoes, ill-fitting jeans and split ends? I suggest the mall. :slight_smile:

I admit that their inductive leaps sometimes irritate me, but it IS a TV show, and it’s supposed to have a conclusion - they have to “solve” it, don’t they? What, admit at the end that they still have no freakin’ clue? Hmmm. And the rest of the unrealistic stuff (same-day DNA results, CSI people doing everything) doesn’t bug me at all – it’s necessary and/or fun to watch and makes the show flow. I also like their tendency to take real-life events and work them into the plots – the guy stuck in the windshield of the car, etc. Anyway, I’m glad you all found each other and everything, but I still love CSI.

NWMP Blue? :smiley:

Jubilations dinner theatre is dong CSI Moosejaw right now. Judging from the parking lot when I went and got groceries from the Safeway next door it’s a big hit .

Linky

In most respects, I agree with almost all the anti-CSI comments made. Yet still, I find myself watching this show for this character. I love this guy. He’s so much hotter than Grissom. And the fact that such a complete nerd could be so cool gives me hope. And I’d do him in a heartbeat too!

Is that an Emmy category yet?

Oops! you typoed! “best” should be “worst.”

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

O.K.?

I knew too. You can usually tell if, early on in the show, an apparently insignificant character is played by an actor your recognize. This holds true for all the Law & Order clones too.

Actually, they don’t always “solve” it. There’ve been a couple of story arcs that carry over several episodes, most notably the Paul Millander one. It started with the pilot episode and went on through three episodes; and not all in a row, either. There were two in the first season and one in the second season. It was one of my favorite storylines.
There was another with a young woman who was kidnapped as a child and had a follow-up episode in a later season also. In the first episode, she got away with her crime.
There was more a recent episode, the Japanese art heist - didn’t they get away with it that time, also? The CSIs figured out how it was done, but by that time it was too late.

I hear ya. I also love how ever test they require has the equipment all set up and ready to go as soon as they make mention of it. “I need you to look for vietnamese rubber on the side of that bullet fragment” says the boss. Lab guy then spins around in his office chair and pipets from a batch of equipment set up and already in place. Pretty good anticipation.

The worst part about CSI si that many people in real life think that some of the test are real (a bunch of them simply do not exist) or that they are so easy to do that the police department can do them with any crime.

Victim: “Why don’t you take rubber samples from the road to trace back to the car that held the person that did this horrible deed!?”

Policeman: “Ma’am, someone just hit your mailbox with a baseball bat, that’s all.”

These tests (when real) cost money, folks, lots and lots of money!

Wouldn’t that be NWMP Red? Even lissener would watch if they cast Paul Gross and put him back into a Mountie uniform. :smiley:

Anyway, I like how CSI-LV has Peterson, who, though lissener apparently hasn’t figured this out, is SUPPOSED to seem like “the last time he got laid was at an away chess match his junior year of highschool,” and Katherine, for us older gents in the audience. There are FAR worse shows on the air.

CSI-LV has that blonde, who makes EVERYTHING worthwhile though lissener wouldn’t understand :; , and Horatio, who takes “bad” to whole new levels. Every week he provides us with another Horatioism, like a bargain-basement Jack Webb, that makes me puke and that’s really helping my diet. And they killed of one or another of the interchangeable dark-haired guys so it’s a little less confusing.

At first I had a problem with Gary Sinese being in CSI-NYC, figuring he’s way too good an actor, but he’s been tutored by Caruso and is coming along nicely.

CSI: Las Vegas is hands-down one of the very best shows on TV, and any foolish ca-ca head who can’t see that (no names, but it rhymes with “plissener”) is probably a Commie pinko who puts his shoes on the wrong feet and sniffs bicycle seats.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Pretty much all TV seems wacky and unrealistic to me (including presidential debates :)), so this is something of a non-complaint, but…
I applied and interviewed for the job of crime scene evidence collector in a major west coast city and it is nothing like the jobs they have on CSI.
You wear a uniform, just like a cop. No high heels or long bangs. You collect the evidence and take photos, but do not perform the tests yourself, that’s for the lab people. You interview witnesses, but would never interrogate a suspect. You have to drive your own personal vehicle. You have to live within the area you investigate in.
I currently work in a lab that does liquid and gas chromatographic testing, which is typically the tests used for non-DNA type evidence. Generally speaking, a single sample run takes at least a half-hour to analyze. There would be no near-instantaneous results, especially if you needed to prove repeatability and run blanks to prove lack of contamination, let alone actually extract and work up the samples just to put them into the machine for analysis. Major :rolleyes:
I can suspend my belief in order to watch a TV show, but I think of it as a total soap opera rather than actually being based in reality.

Re: CSI Alberta…

I was reading the local weekly newspaper in Livingston, Montana once and there, in the police blotter entries, was this stellar bit of police crime scene investigation work:

“Someone left a bong on the steps of the Mormon church.”

I folded that up and brought it home to Florida. That’s just good clean fun.

Oooo…so would I! [drooling smilie]

No. What I meant was that in real life no one would have any respect for this pissy knowitall dweeb. On the show everyone acts like he’s the lovechild of Albert Einstein and Brad Pitt, when he’s really just a basementdwelling dork who tries to intimidate people with esoterica because he’s afraid of women.

As good or bad these three shows are, you have to admit that The Who, rock! :cool:

Well, actually, that’s not the case. His subordinates seem to respect his position, but that’s because they’re nerds, too. Everyone else on the show dislikes them except for Detective Brass.

There was a thread a few months ago in which we all had a good laugh at how silly CSI is, what with it constantly raining in Las Vegas, nobody ever asking for a lawyer, and the infinite rescalability of any type of photograph. But I enjoy the show because it’s the only cop show about science and logistics. The science is often total bullshit, and the logistics don’t always make sense, but the same can be said for any good science-fiction show. Of course, the show isn’t billed as science fiction, but that’s just so’s not to scare people off.

The other shows are more conventional as cop shows. They aren’t about the science of detection, they just happen to have the lab guys hustling it like street dicks. CSI Miami has David Caruso, who certainly doesn’t seem like a scientist. I don’t know what his actual job is, but it may have something to do with posing and emoting. Is this stuff in the script? Take sunglasses off. Squint at horizon. Pull back jacket and put hand on hip. Look at suspect. Point at suspect with two fingers. Breathe through nose.

CSI: New York looked rocky from the start. It looked like they had Gary Sinese doing a softer, more misty-eyed David Caruso. The second episode was reassuring. But as somebody mentioned before, they are so science-fiction they actually had somebody waving around a tri-corder.

Gotta love last week’s example of this. The victim was carrying a polaroid picture of another crime scene. The scene was a full view of a room with another murder victim in it. Grissim noticed there was a pill bottle on the floor.

So he “enlarged” the picture until he had a clear view of the name and address on the prescription.

Caruso figures a good Charles Bronson impersonation never gets old.