Why is a colonoscopy being done at Camp David?

To emphasize what’s already been stated: colonoscopies are not done under general anesthesia (rather, conscious sedation, in which you typically remember little if any of the procedure). Complication rates are low, and what might conceivably happen (i.e. a bowel perforation) is not going to require a crack surgery team hovering in the next room.

I had my recent colonoscopy done in an outpatient facility (Fred’s Surgery Center and Barbecue Hut) and everything went just fine.

The way some pundits and curiosity-seekers obsess over any type of medical care for the Prez and his family (not referring to you, Fear Itself), I’m surprised there hasn’t already been a FOIA request filed, demanding that video of the President’s bowel prep be posted on YouTube.

A colonoscopy van?

I hope it doesn’t have music. Or there’s gonna be a lot of unhappy, sore children.

Not that sneaky. Seems like the only time they can keep a secret is when the press is involved.

I do not think this means what you think this means.

Because that’s where the asshole is.

Don’t fall for that. I did once. Turns out the ‘doctor’ was just a pervert.

You’re going to have to provide a cite for this.
AFAIK the only thing that can absolutely disqualify a vet from VA eligibility is a dishonorable discharge. What many of these vets are being deprived of is a disability rating higher than 30%, which is the cutoff for monetary and some other benefits.

Not true:

A Chapter 5-13 is a general discharge, not a dishonorable discharge.

If the van is a-rockin’, don’t come a-knockin’.

Did they have to go into such detail about the Presidential Insides? Wouldn’t it be sufficient to say the President had the routine exam and was given a clean bill of health?

I’m not sure that in of itself is a ringing endorsement…

Cartooniverse

They had this before Mike “Heckuvajob Brownie” Brown was inflicted upon FEMA, and the hospital is consistently ranked one of the top research hospitals in the nation (if not the world).

The info. you quoted contains misinformation. The determination may prevent a vet from being treated for that particular malady, but only a dishonorable discharge can deny them all VA care. I suggest you visit the VA web site and read the eligibility requirements.
I don’t disagree that many vets are being given short shrift, but it must be recognized that there is room for abuse of the system when they get into psychological problems. Certainly some are the legitmate result of serving in combat, but there are always going to be those who may believe they are emotionally scarred, even w/o the classic symptoms and there will be some who are simply opportunists. Military docs and evaluation boards are, almost certainly, being too conservative, but it’s still a tough call to make.

I agree. Especially since it was preceded by this:

“Literally” and quotation marks? WTF?

Sorry, pet peeve.

If you disagree with my cite, I suggest you visit the VA web and post the relevant information in this thread.

Or get pics of el Presidente with a tube up his butt.

I didn’t intend to hijack this thread, simply to correct misinformation. You are citing a news story, which is slanted to emphasis the point of the story. I don’t necessarily disagree w/ the intent of that news story, but it does imply somthing that is not factual.
From the VA web site:
“Eligibility for most veterans’ health care benefits is based solely on active military service in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard (or Merchant Marines during WW II), and discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
Reservists and National Guard members who were called to active duty by a Federal Executive Order may qualify for VA health care benefits. Returning service members, including Reservists and National Guard members who served on active duty in a theater of combat operations have special eligibility for hospital care, medical services, and nursing home care for two years following discharge from active duty.
Health Care eligibility is not just for those who served in combat.
Other groups may be eligible for some health benefits.
Veteran’s health care is not just for service-connected injuries or medical conditions.
Veteran’s health care facilities are not just for men only. VA offers full-service health care to women veterans.”

CRAP!!! That was my witty remark to make, damn you.

Oh, well, at least you got in “crap,” which I believe no one else did.

The charge that VA practice is not consistent with its policy will be determined by a lawsuit filed by Iraq war veterans in federal court today against the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs:

If you would like to debate this issue, this thread has been updated if you have anything to add.