Why is a reversed suspension being used as a reason for a permanent banning?

Who do you think we are not hearing enough from?

Excuse me?

I agree somewhat with this, but it’s mainly because a lot of diverse and interesting posters were driven away by lack of moderation on some key harassing types of posting. The people being moderated and banned now for being jerks - let’s just say they never added to the interesting part of the equation. This has little to do with their political leanings.

You know several times people have posted this, but without much evidence.

People leave, sometimes due to Life, or they die or they get tired of posting or they find a better outlet - or indeed they don’t like the way other posters behaved. I only know of one that gave that last reason. Most of the rest- just left. Also Conservatives posters left, and posters of all types, shapes and forms. You may have an option that people left as the board moderation did not squelch argumentative, bullying, harassing, and trolling posters, but there is damn little evidence that really happened. Others likely left as board moderation did squelch argumentative, bullying, harassing, and trolling.

And do note- being argumentative is part of why this board is here, and bullying and harassing are still okay in the PIT, iirc (but admittedly not for homophobic or racist reasons). For some reason, the idea that a poster might leave if they were bullied in GD- but laugh it off and think it is just peachy-keen if said bullying is in the Pit is prevalent here. And wrong.

Some people literally said that was why they were leaving.

Trying to get some more mileage from that pony?

The only way I could provide the evidence you seek is for me to make public personal correspondence that was intended to be private. Yes, absolutely there are people who left due to harassment connected to the group(s) they were part of. Along with all the other reasons you mention. Maybe it makes people feel better about being here if they deny such harassment happened.

Likewise. @DrDeth, you must believe that I, and several other people who tell you that we’ve got direct evidence of multiple people leaving for these reasons, are lying to you. That’s your prerogative; but it won’t change what’s happened.

This isn’t the place to get into the evidence that a party led by Donald Trump might have some problems with countenancing misogyny and racism, or whether that acceptance of violent bigotry meets the threshold for “evil.”

I don’t want to see anyone bullied or harassed. I don’t even like the pit, because I think it’s toxic to the community we have here (at least, I don’t like the pile-ons on posters. Feel free to pit non-posters).

But I’d like to see a longer leash and let topics play out a bit more, and come down on the jerk behavior when it happens. Also, maybe a slightly looser definition of jerk.

We ought to be grown up enough to discuss Nazi Lampshades or Mens’ Rights Movement (?) here- and not because I am a supporter of either Nazis or Mens’ Rights Movement. Maybe if those topics are so sensitive that the represent a danger we could have a warning in the thread title.

I’m not looking to disparage the mods. They do good work, we need them, and I certainly don’t want the job. But what attracted me here in the first place was the really free exchange of ideas (I never knew that I wanted to know about the nutritional value of semen, but it turns out I did) and the incredibly broad range of knowledge.

Moderator Note

Do not attack or insult other users here in ATMB. This includes implying that they are ban-worthy.

Treat everyone else with respect in this forum. This isn’t the Pit.

It remains possible to have those discussions, as long as they’re framed in a respectful manner. Again, the problem hasn’t been the subject matter, it’s either been that the posters won’t respect the rules and norms of this site or they’re using those hot button topics to troll.

Holocaust Denial and Men’s Rights are both Tired Topics. They have been discussed over and over, to the point where it’s not worth bothering any more. Scientific racism, 9/11 Truthers, and Climate Change Denial are all similarly off-limits, for the same reason.

We don’t want threads on any of these topics, even if they are framed in a respectful manner.

Don’t forget moon landing hoaxers.

Honestly, I do try to forget them.

Yeah, we don’t need ignorance that fights back.

I want to acknowledge that it must be hard to be a conservative poster here. In most of the world, Blacks, gays, and trans people are subject to endless microaggessions, and when they snap and reply to someone in a nasty way, they get in trouble for it. Conservative posters find themselves in a similar situation here. No, the rules aren’t hard to follow. Most posters never get a warning. Heck, most never get a mod note, i suspect. But if you are subject to endless microaggessions, it must be harder to remain civil.

That being said, ultravires is routinely abrasive and doesn’t respond to moderator instructions.

No. You don’t get to cloak your defence of an indefensible troll in an appeal to equivalency to minority victimhood. The comparison is odious and offensive, at least to this minority.

It is hard to be a Republican here if you are the new breed that thinks that what works in the outside world and a large part of the internet will work here. The idea that you can “win” through intimidation, shouting and ignoring rules when they don’t go your way, that “they do it too!” justifies just about anything, that hypocrisy is just another tool in the toolbox and that “pwning” others is an admirable goal-these are (or at least should be) actively opposed on this message board. Conservatisim should be protected here, provided that the above methods are not employed.

This is nothing special about this board in that regard - check my first warning out, that was me snapping at an aggression (nothing micro about it - he was saying 10 more years of Apartheid was a good thing) from a conservative.

So don’t tell me it’s hard to be a conservative poster here as if that’s something unique. Try being a PoC poster, it’s no damn picnic.