Why Only ~5 minutes to Edit Post

Ditto what Cazzle said, I just love people who sign up and then start telling everybody how awful the place is and what they could be doing so much better.

You’ve been in the chatroom racket (hint: not the same as a message board. No, it really isn’t) since 2004? How nice for you. This board has been around in its present form since 1999. There are a lot of things that are done here certain ways because they have been done that way for 12 years and the members like them just fine. There are other things that are done certain ways because somewhere in those 12 years there have been prolonged battles between members and admins over their implementation. The most innocuous question about a minor board feature might trigger an outpouring of sighs and rolleyes from longtime members who remember a month’s worth of vitriolic posting over it. A new poster waltzing in and insisting on a change to that board feature ignorant of the history is likely to get either a pat on the head or a “get off my lawn, kid” depending on their original tone.

This message board is not a chat room. In a chat room, you enter it, and you can only see the conversation that occurs when you enter, not any of the conversation that occured before you entered, and when you leave, then you don’t see the conversation that continues.

Different people want different things from a message board. Some people love avatars and animated sigs and smilies. Some hate them. Some people are looking for a discussion, some for an argument, some for an echo chamber, and some just want to post long declarations or rants. If you like a message board, then stick around. If you don’t like it, leave. If you like parts of it but hate other parts, decide on whether the enjoyment is worth the aggravation.

However, I’ve never seen ANY message board, anywhere, that would change how it does things because a newcomer demanded changes. Well, not any competently run board, anyway. I’ve seen a couple of boards that were run by kids, and which tried to accommodate every suggestion. This meant that the features changed constantly, as changes were made, and then the members who had liked the original features protested, and the features were changed back, etc.

Now, as others have noted, we used to have no editing capacity at all for posters, only mods and admins could edit. At first, this was because our servers were very limited, and we couldn’t allow it because of that. Enough people asked for it politely that we considered it, and when we were able to offer it, we did. Most people appreciate it, and agree that five minutes is usually enough time to do any necessary editing.

To paraphrase an old carpenter’s rule of thumb, proofread twice and post once.

I have several times referred to my extensive experience in what
I call the “chat room racket”. Seven years to be exact, and about
11000 posts at about 10 different sites to be inexact. That is long
enough, and I have done enough posting to have a reasonably
good idea of my own likes and dislikes.

Therefore I do not need to wait a year here or anywhere else
to be able to tell if I like or dislike something.

I have never seen anything such as you describe elswhere,
not even once, in seven years of hanging out in these places
300 days a year minimum.

That enough esperience for me to conclude that the scenario
you have posted above is what might kindly be termed a “red herring”.

Straw Man.

Some times it takes a new set of eyes, although sometimes
that not is enough to reverse an advanced state of fossilization.

It sounds like you and Wiki are having a spat:

Chat room article- Wikipedia

(from link, emphasis added):

Now, Wiki is not an authority of all-inclusive proportions, but I think
it is reasonable in this case, and what we are doing is certainly
a form of “chat”.

So cut the pedantry, OK?

Glad to see your reading ability is so good. Now please work
on your reasoning ability.

What a pissy little lecture.

FAQ and rules do not discriminate between newcomers and anyone
else when it comes to voicing any kind of opinion, nor should they.
If this was technical subject and you had professional experience
then your seniority might mean something. In the context of proposed
chat room rule changes it is meaningless.

About as meaningless as talking about “chat room rule changes” on a message board, I’d say.

You know, the short lines in your posts remind me of haiku. Let’s just fix this one up a little…

No need for a year
Here or on another board
I know what I like.

There!

Bravo!

See post #85 and don’t give me that crap.

Z-Z-Z-Z-Z :rolleyes:

What is all this “demanding” sh*t I am hearing from the more
long-winded responders? I never “demanded” anything, not literally,
not figuratively, not any other way.

This does not have a damn thing to with it.

Perhaps I can expect adult administrators at an adult board
to do better than a bunch of kids?

I have drawn ample attention to much more liberal editing policy
at numerous other boards, run by adults, with no harm done
whatsoever.

Here I made a perfectly reasonable request, request denied,
although not on any reasonable grounds, and I would by now
have dropped the subject if various windbags did not feel
compelled to keep weighing in.

Servers?

The two staff members who have contributed here mentioned an upgrade,
but did not specifically tie it to edit function. Anyway, since older limits no
longer exist they are irrelevant.

Gee thanks. What would I do without you?

Do you really expect every ‘chat room’ you drop into to conform to your likes and dislikes?

IIRC this was another change in recent years. It used to be you couldn’t report your own posts, and many other vB boards still are that way.

I made a perfectly reasonable request, request denied, although not on
any reasonable grounds, and I would by now have dropped the subject
if various windbags did not feel compelled to keep piling on.

I’m sorry, NDane, you seemed to mistake this forum for Great Debates.

You asked a question. It was answered. Numerous times. It’s time to stop beating the dead horse.
It’s not going to change no matter how much you try to argue for it.

I’ve seen threads on other boards rendered completely incomprehensible by edits even without any malicious or dishonest intent. It’d be all the worse with malice.

That said, I suspect that the OP is pulling our leg. He keeps getting message boards and chat rooms mixed up, but no chat room ever has edit capability.

Now why do you have to be like that? Nobody else is calling you names.

From the registration agreement, which may be found here:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_sdmb_rules

If anyone legitimately needs to discuss the edit function we’re happy to accommodate you but please do it in a new thread. It does seem to work well for the community as presently in place, though we’re always open to your suggestions.