Why quit Twitter?

Just because your new boss ask you to work harder? Isn’t that what bosses do? Why not just say sure and then work the same and if they didn’t like it they could fire you? I’m not getting this mass exodus from Twitter as I would make them fire me for cause and then sign up for unemployment and make them show that I was actually slacking off. Or use the time to find a new job. Anything but just quit. What’s your take on this? What would you do?

I’d take the 3 month pay severance package and find a new job. Seems many employees can recognize a sinking ship/toxic job pretty well

Ah, I missed the buyout part of it. Still 3 months isn’t that much and you have to figure in insurance.

The guy is coo-coo for coco-puffs crazy. Those leaving are taking advantage of the timing to get first crack at alternative employment.

They’re not quitting because they’re being asked to work harder. They’re quitting because they see the writing on the wall, and don’t want to be dragged down with Twitter’s failure. They think they have a better chance now than later.

They likely wanted to quit before this, but now have the reassurance they’ll get severance pay, making it easier to quit.

Given what’s going on at Twitter right now? I’d probably quit, as long as I believed I could get another job within 3 months. I’d also have some money saved up, based on the salaries and cost of living. And I might have already been doing some work finding a new job or at least tightening my belts since the Musk buyout started. I mean, I would have thought I might be let go anyways.

I’d be so outta there. The guy is clearly off the rails already. I’m not waiting around for him to start demanding frickin’ sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their heads.

Yeah…if your boss suddenly started saying you need to be there late at night, early in the morning, on weekends, and maybe consider even sleeping at work for the foreseeable future despite the lack of a clearly defined goal or project, that’s “technically” being asked to “work harder” but it’s really a sign your boss has lost it or maybe never had it in the first place.

You don’t want to be left holding the bag after everybody else is out the door before you. Take the money and run

Severance gets less generous the further round of layoffs you go. If you’re fired for cause, you have to fight to get a good exit package vs being let go en masse where the terms are standardized. Plus, the job market is only going to get more unfriendly as more big tech companies announce layoffs. It’s unlikely anyone’s going to get a better deal than the current one moving forward.

The only big reason for staying is for H1Bs, you want to get a job offer at a new place before telling Elon that Hardcore 2.0 isn’t for you.

Three months severance is a lot if you don’t expect the company to last one month. Every time I’ve heard of from companies circling the drain and trying to offload headcount, the first payout offer is always the best one.

Plus, many of these employees, if they’d been around for a few years, probably owned a fair bit of Twitter stock. And I read somewhere that some clown recently bought up all of the Twitter stock for well above market value, so they’re probably sitting on a good cash nest egg.

And I’m sure the cloud of recruiters that perpetually swarm around tech companies is working very hard at making these connections. I expect at least 1/3 of the “Yes” people to be gone within a few months.

Twitter stock is at $53.70. Not an all-time high, but high enough to cash out your stock options, bank some cash, and move onto a company that respects its employees.

Several large well-known tech companies are either planning to do or doing layoffs, so waiting around a few months to see what happens might work against you.

If you don’t want to be worked to death, now is the time to look for another opportunity and quit as soon as you can… or take the 3-month severance and focus 100% on finding a new job.

$53.70 is what the stock was at the last day of trading three weeks ago because you were near guaranteed to get $54.20 from Elon the next day*. It is now delisted and any sales since then are private sales for who knows what price. If you still own stock (most stockholders would have been part of Elon’s buyout deal**) there is no way anyone will pay you $53.70 for it.

*possibly not the actual next day
**I don’t know what was required to, like Jack Dorsey, hold on to stock. But the whole point of the deal is to give Elon absolute control, so you can’t just say “I’m gonna keep mine” unless Elon agreed. Or so I imagine.

Hard work is acceptable, and may even be enjoyable, if it’s in service to clear goals according to a sensible plan.

But when it’s in service to a Death March, it’s an absolutely miserable existence.

Musk is asking for submission to a death march: unquestioning obedience, unarticulated objectives, and no end in sight. No one with any sense accepts this if they have any other choice.

So he basically gutting the company for some unknown insane reason. Now I better understand as I have never really used twitter or paid much attention to it so I didn’t much care about the details.

Even now I really don’t care but I do understand, willful ignorance fought. Thanks everyone!

I’ve been saying this for so long to so much fervent and combative opposition that it is gratifying to now see that public opinion has shifted with all of the crazy being suddenly exposed.

As for why to leave, because working for a company that is swirling the drain—or in this case, heading straight down without circumvolution—is an exhausting, demoralizing, and self-destructive experience, notwithstanding that locking remaining employees out of—or in some cases, inside—Twitter facilities speaks to a paranoia so profound that the next thing Musk is likely to do is start demanding fecal samples and signed pledges to the undying loyalty of Our Lord and Undying Protector Elon Musk, Guardian of the Known Universe and King Twit of all of His Domains, May He Live Forever In A Neurolink Download Box.

Plus, taking three months severance today is better than trying to squeeze blood from a Chapter 11 turnip a week from now. Like Steve Miller sings, Take The Money And Fly Like An Eagle Right Into The Future, which does not include Twitter or Musk. Here’s hoping that Musk decides to merge Twitter with Truth Social for a doubleheader of fiscal geniusity!

Stranger

Not entirely unknown but perhaps insane.

From what people have said, he apparently believes he can produce success through his personal ability and willpower. So, he doesn’t think of this as a gutting of the company but as a form of righting the ship with the built-in assumption that his decision-making process cannot be in error.

That may or may not lead to a rude awakening, even if the company totally fails. He will, after all, still be incredibly wealthy either way.

He claims this is something he has to do because of the debt. But the debt increase is his own fault. And it’s not like he just downsized but kept the same jobs: he completely eliminated certain sectors–the PR, the moderation staff, those in charge of community–basically anything involving the social side of this social networking company.

Benefits are often included in a severance package. I don’t know if that’s the case at Twitter, but when my company lays people off it includes a continuation of their benefits.

Come on, it’s not that bad. He might just ask them to bring him some milk.

I think he’s eviscerating the company out of spite. “You wanna force me to buy this place? Fine. I’ll make you all pay!”. And if you think the worlds richest man can just toss away $44B, you’d be right.

I agree with the thread drift here - life is too short for a seriously toxic work environment, like when the boss comes around to tell you “I’m gonna have to ask you to come in Saturday, and Sunday, too. Mmkay.” I would be among those taking the severance. However, I read somewhere some departments resigned 100%, like payroll, taxes and financial statements, etc., so I would still be concerned with just getting my severance check out of the company at this point. The sooner get out of there, the better - it’s likely to get even worse in the weeks ahead - at some point people may pick-up their phone and Twitter won’t even be there.