Why quit Twitter?

If you give them an excuse to claim you were fired for cause, they can get off the hook for severance and unemployment benefits. This way, you have the three months’ severance (even if they hadn’t expressly offered it, you’d almost certainly be able to frame the case as one of “constructive dismissal” which makes it count as being laid off without cause rather than as quitting).

I don’t know specifically how generous unemployment benefits are in the jurisdictions involved, but I have to imagine that a lot of these employees’ salaries are large enough that forgoing unemployment benefits for three extra months of it is an easy choice.

There have been some great answers. I am sure that Elon has some sort of “metric” which standardizes what he considers a “Hardcore” work week and I am thinking it is probably on the other side of 80 hours for some of the employees who stay to mop up the mess that is building.
This reminds me of the system in my last two companies called PIP. It stands for Performance Improvement plan. This is a method of “improving” an employees’ work performance but is really a way to force them to quit.
They would basically have the employee - who they had determined substandard - basically do weekly what most of us were doing monthly. Do you have a monthly report that you assemble? Now we need it weekly and the fact that you cannot get real data until the end of the month is no concern.
The funny thing is some of these employees actually went to HR to complain and were given no help.
They were of the mistaken mind that HR was there to help them and not the company.
Three months severance from a high profile company like Twitter should be good enough for even the worst slacker to find a decent job.

Nice link. Ed Yourdon wrote a book called Death March? That name sure is a blast from the past. I was Yourdonized in my tech youth.

He’s leveraged his stock in other companies, like Tesla, who very much do not want him to destroy them by proxy. I believe Tesla stock has fallen by half since he started his little Twitter project.

Indeed so. But in the very worst, maybe unrealistic scenario, he’ll have to settle for being merely a multi-millionaire. Oh noes, the poor fellow, how will he ever live!?

It is my contention that this was done for the purpose of hobbling the American press and activists who were too effective at using Twitter to speak truth to power.

That the people who murdered Kashoggi kept their $1.9 billion stake in Twitter (rather than cashing out) doesn’t fill me with confidence either.

If you’re fired for cause you don’t get unemployment. Just sayin’

I don’t normally recommend quitting a job, but there are times it is the better course. It’s one of those things you shouldn’t do on a whim but never say never to.

Also, there’s a 3 month severance package and, given the skill set of a lot of people who worked for Twitter, either getting a new job or even setting up one’s own company should be a viable strategy.

Headhunters are probably already calling/texting most of those who walked out the door.

Rumor has it he’s also lost the payroll department. That’s going to be awkward in a week or two. Along with pretty much every other employee involved taxes and finance.

::: prepares popcorn ::::

Can Elon buy Ticketmaster next?

Because that would be awsome.

Disney?

Honestly, I just think he’s a bad manager. He has such a high ego so he definitely isn’t stopping what he’s doing. Considering the extreme amount of copium seen in the memes he’s posting poking fun at the situation, I think his ego is too high for him to stop running things the way he runs them.

Also, unrelated to your post, JohnT, Twitter is definitely not gonna just poof out of existence in an instant. I predict that Musk will slowly make it more and more uninhabitable over the course of months. A slow, sad death.

Last time I was laid off, I quietly spread the word a couple weeks in advance that it wouldn’t break my heart to be let go. The day came and I got a nice severance package and a fun, boozy lunch with my team. A few folks were amazed that I was ok with being cut and thought I should have fought to stay. Those people came in to work a couple months later and found the lights off and the doors locked.

I’m a big proponent of taking the sure money in these situations.

The Saudi fund is worth over $600 billion. They probably gave Elon what they found under their couch cushions.

This is giving Twitter way too much credit. The American press—such as it still exists as truly independent journalism—has its own means to present “truth to power” via the various outlets. While television—which was always a suspect and constrained medium—has largely fallen under the substantial constraint of corporate overloads and local newspapers have withered in the economic tides that have made death of print advertising, investigative journalism is live and well on internet sites such as ProPublica, The Intercept, Amanpour & Co, Puck (well, Julie Ioffe, anyway), et cetera. Twitter, on the other hand, is little more than a soundbite; it is literally created to transmit “memes” not depth or breadth. Twitter may have been a useful tool to tease deeper analysis but it has also been used to ferment and inflame conspiranoia and falsehoods with little verification or reserve, and certainly nothing like journalistic fact-checking; the “retweeting” of unverified claims has definitely contributed to the inflammation of disinformation campaigns in the name of ostensible “free speech”.

As for “activist” use of Twitter, while it certain serves as a medium for reinforcing ideas within those communities, the ‘memes’ become a joke outside of them specifically because of the lack of context. If you aren’t steeped in what the outrage is about, it just seems like recreational outrage instead of a response at the injustice of seeing deeply considered principles dispensed by government authorities and the corporate masters they answer to. In fact, corporate PR flacks have long mastered the use of Twitter to dispense their own propaganda, if sometimes in the most awkward ways. Twitter gets a lot of attention for its immediacy but I think its broader impact is vastly overstated. Who goes back to review a tweet from three or six or twelve months ago? Who reads and rereads a tweet to grasp the deeper implications. The value and limitation of Twitter is its immediacy, not its profundity.

Of course, in a world where we can’t effect even a minimal policy to address existential crises regardless of the marginal cost, immediacy holds the highest rank of attention, so of course Twitter is the preeminent crown of social media. Much thanks to Elon for showing how febrile and easily disrupted it actually is…if, in fact, that was his plan all along. I tend to doubt it, but regardless Musk has done us the favor, intentional or otherwise, of giving the pause to reflect upon how much social media has hijacked any actual discussion of values and beliefs. Not that we will collectively use this as an opportunity to question our own motivations, but still…a bonfire is at least entertaining.

Stranger

A bonfire … of his vanities??

One can only hope.

Seriously, @Stranger_On_A_Train, you;vebeen good in the whole thread, but that last post was outstanding.

I generally think quite highly of @JohnT, but the idea that destroying twitter destroys the press in ludicrous, at least in the US; rather the opposite. It was the existence of twitter & the like that is wrecking the press.

What would I do?

Start stealing shit like a Motherfucker!

Do I want to work “hardcore” in order to make the richest man in the world richer?

No, thank you.

mmm

I’ve never worked in an IT setting. Are there even any staplers, paper clips, post-it notes, and pens around?

Not really. Shitloads of cat-6 and abandoned dusty keyboards, tho.

Red staplers, for sure.