Women do not forgive personal slights. True or false?

One stereotype/characterization I have heard repeated over the years is that women are generally far less likely to forgive personal slights by peers, and often maintain very specific memories of who did what to whom and when, whereas men are usually more inclined to let it go unless it’s over the top.

Is this true or not? Do women (in general) have longer memories for personal slights than men do?

I don’t know about “far less likely.” I have read that women tend to be more sensitive to people they have to interact with, and to have better memories, in general, for the who-said-what kind of social interactions. So maybe it’s not that men forgive more, but that they forget. Or let it go.

This would make sense because, in terms of social status, women perceive themselves as below men (particularly in the workplace, in more social situations not so much), and the people lower down always pay more attention to interpersonal stuff. Hence being in a better position to remember it.

On the other hand, men with lower status would be doing the same thing–paying more attention.

Just from a very unscientific view: In my experience, that is generally the case, that women are more likely to bring up some slight, and men are more likely to let it go.

Amateur anthropologist view: In prehistoric times, men have disagreements, but they still have to hunt together to bring in the food. Women, in protecting the young, consider “something bad” as “once a threat, always a threat.”

Eh. . . just a thought.