Women - would you date an obese man?

Would and do.

Note: 300 lbs does not necessarily make someone obese. I dated a dude who was 6’ 5" and 300 lbs of solid muscle.

But in answer to the question, yes. I would rather date a big guy than a skinny, stringy guy. The caveat for me is he would be tall. So a 300 lb dude probably wouldn’t be >60 BMI. As long as all the important parts can reach and function, I wouldn’t bat an eye if I liked the guy.

For 300 lbs to equal a BMI of 60+, the guy would have to be under five feet tall.

My husband is a big and tall dude, though not close to a BMI of 60 (that would be about 470 lbs). I was never particularly interested in fat men, and he was also not particularly interested in fat women, but we became friends and the rest is history.

Nope. Solid is fine, say minimum 6’, between 185/ 220 to about 6.4"max 225/ 240.

Luckily, that’s what I have.

No. While I have no issue with someone being 10 or 20 pounds overweight, I have no interest in dating a guy literally twice my weight.

Many years ago I had a ‘fling’ with a very big fella, and I must say that the sexual side of things was…dauntingly oppressive and very weird. He was sweet, smart and otherwise lovely, but his sheer mass was enough to put a dampener on future overtures from me.

So no. Were I to ever date again, obesity would be a deal-breaker.

Yep. Already have dated several.

No way! Most likely he has a food addiction. I could not handle him bingeing on food. That is just disgusting. Also I could not stand to look at his body. I also would always worry about his health. Especially if the relationship got serious and marriage was in the cards, he would suffer health problems as he aged in a very serious way.

I’m a plus-sized woman (250lbs+) and I’ve dated men of all sizes. I generally prefer men who are taller than I am, but since I am just 5 foot 2 that is not a big hurdle. :wink:

I was still in college (and weighed about 100lb less) when I dated a guy in my gaming group. He was tall, very sensitive, and physically affectionate. On the minus side, he was extremely obese, had zero motivation, and a B.O. problem.

We broke up not because of anything to do with him physically, but because he didn’t feel right about having me over for Thanksgiving. He felt Thanksgiving was for family. Okay, that I agree with. However, he went on to say that his friends were his family, and I was not welcome. Apparently, I was not considered an important enough friend.

Though at the time I was very upset, my friends claim I really dodged a bullet there.

This ^.

300lbs is 174lbs more than what I weigh. Not a good match, IMO.

It seems(here in Texas if that matters at all) that women are generally more forgiving of husbands or boyfriends that become fat over the course of their relationship, but are overall less likely to outright date a fat guy they meet in the dating scene.

Why else would the lonely fat guy in the basement be a rampant stereotype in popular culture today?

What’s interesting is you don’t often hear, in popular culture at least, a visceral backlash from women about the existence of obese men (and when it is there, the character is usually portrayed as a huge pig and equally repugnant to men), but in pop culture and real life, there are lots and lots of guys who will freely admit to being angrily offended by the mere existence of obese women, almost like it’s a personal affront to them that there are women in the world who don’t look like supermodels.

This is purely academic, since I’m old and married, but I don’t think weight in and of itself would be a deal-breaker. If the guy was obese because all he did was sit around, watching TV, gaming, and eating, I wouldn’t have enough in common with him to move forward. If he liked to eat, but he also got out and did stuff, I’d probably be OK with it.

On the other hand, if for some tragic reason I was to be dating at this stage of my life, I’d be very aware of the likelihood of a potential partner requiring me to be a nurse surrogate. For my husband, there’s no question that I’m here for him regardless. But if he was gone and I decided to look for someone else, I’d definitely be looking for someone who was likely to be in reasonable health. Yeah, there are no guarantees, but I think it’s a safe bet that getting involved with a huge guy who needs a scooter to get around means I’m facing sponge-bath city. Thanks, no.

Men and women have different priorities in partners, something most people in real life understand. For example, there is an equal stereotype about careers- how many men make as huge of a deal about women being good providers/being particular about their careers? Look at the stereotype about doctors or atheletes; a male doctor/athelete has sex appeal by virtue of his career. Men don’t go nearly as ga-ga about the fact that a woman happens to be a doctor or a basketball player.

Just as some women connect a man’s education or career to his personality, some men connect a woman’s fatness with her personality. And let’s be honest, there’s a lot of grey area between a 110lb supermodel and a 300lb hambeast.

It’s a viroid condition.

I learned a new word today. Love thetaxonomic classification names.

I have dated overweight men and men that would qualify as fat but were extremely active. I had one obese boyfriend, and no, I would not go down that road again. There were too many limits on what we could comfortably do.

At this point in my life, I’m not up for volunteering for taking care of someone whose body is going to start breaking down decades before mine or someone who is going to make me a widow much sooner than I need to be.

My SO and take care of ourselves because we are that kind of people, but we also take care of ourselves for each other. If something were to happen, we would take care of the other, but we don’t participate in behaviors that put us at risk health-wise.

I would totally date overweight guys. To obese I’m going to say probably not. But I’ve fallen for guys that were all different kinds of things that I would have said I didn’t like. So who knows?

Women will put up with clowners who can’t hit it right because they’re emotionally insecure.

I’m sure they’re willing to date a fat slob.

So you don’t think that there’s a legitimate reason why a woman may find an overweight man attractive - either despite, or because of his weight?

And is every overweight man in your world a “fat slob” and women who are attracted to them all “emotionally insecure”? Yes or No? Just trying to clarify your position here.