[QUOTE=jayjay]
He can go around with his PvP flag on, you can go around with it off, and you both get what you want.
[/QUOTE]
PVP flagging yourself on a PVE server and playing a PVP server are different experiences. You can’t hunt people just because you’re pvp flagged, they have to be flagged too, and that’s not very common on a PVE server. You also make yourself a target, moreso than a normal PVP server. There are probably other factors at work.
For what it’s worth, I started on a PVE server because I got the game right when it came out, and I didn’t know the PVP rules, so I figured I’d play it safe while learning the game. Then I invested 20+ hours in the character, and didn’t want to start over, so I played that character mainly.
All the alts (alternate characters) I make are on PVP servers, though. It’s more challenging, and interesting.
Unfortunately, world (non-battleground) pvp in WoW is designed pretty badly. With no real overall goal, or achievements, or awards, you just kill pointlessly and get killed pointlessly.
It adds an element of unpredictability, and danger, and hunting people can be fun.. but the game does nothing at all to discourage asshat behavior. So it’s a very common scenario that someone very powerful goes to a zone designed for people 10 levels lower than him and just slaughters everyone. No challenge for him, no chance for you, just “OH LOOK AT ME I AM POWERFUL IN THE INTERNET WORLD MUHAHHAHA” stunted social development from the asshat. Unfortunately, it’s so common that it’s pretty much the default mode of PVP combat.
So, instead of PVP combat being a matter of strategy and skill, it’s mostly a matter of one guy having no chance against the other guy, and playing at maximum asshattery.