World of Warcraft

Auctioneer hasn’t been updated since the big 2.0 patch which came out on 12/5. Last word I saw on the site for it, www.auctioneeraddon.com, was that the developers would not have a chance to work on it until their exams were completed. So at least 12/19 before it’s updated…

I agree with Critical1. Do not play on a PVP server if you are new. You will ganked alot. I’ve played from day 1 until a month ago. I’ve leveled my 49 priest to Legionaire on a PVE server. I also have characters on a PVP server. Stick to PVE if you are new.
On PVP, all things are open. If you are flagged, I’m gonna kill you. Not only that, I’ll go out of my way to make things horrible for you if you are opposite faction as I am. THat is the nature of the game. That is the storyline. If you have a problem with it, reroll on PVE.

Corpse camping guys 30 levels lower than you just to cause grief is the storyline? No, it’s really just being a dick. There’s something unhealthy about people who play PVP servers not for competition, or challenge, or strategy, but to try to upset and anger everyone they can.

By the way, before anyone jumps on me for the wrong reason, I want to clarify: I wasn’t even bitching. If you’ll notice, I said I create all my alt characters on PVP servers.

You act like I started a thread saying “WoW PVP SUCKS YET I WILL CONTINUE TO PLAY IT” when the reality is that someone simply asked about the differences between them, and so I gave an opinion. Critical’s little rant was completely off base - no one here made the sort of post that he was bitching at.

Of course, Blizzard’s implementation of PVP has plenty of faults - if someone points those out, do they deserve a personal attack in the form of being called moronic? Is it sort of like some retarded redneck LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT mentality?

And some of the faults of the PVP system come from the players. You don’t have to be a jackass and take your level 60 into a level 20 zone just to kill people without challenge in order to try to aggravate them. That’s the sort of thing that immature internet bully types who are probably trolls on message boards do. I have no problem with killing any enemy you come across - but you make it sound like you deliberately do it in such a way as to remove the fun aspects - the competition, rivalry, etc - and just leaves the dickhead parts, the griefing, picking impossible fights, etc.

Anyway, Critical’s post was totally unnecesary - it was vitriolic in a thread that was just trying to be helpful.

During the beta test for Star Wars Galaxies, there was an enormous ongoing brawl as to whether the game should be fully PvP or consensual PvP. Without fail, the the consensual PvP people wanted competition, while the people advocating for full non-consensual PvP were merely looking for prey. It’s possible that there are honorable arguments to be made for non-con PvP (I certainly had a blast in Ultima Online despite being completely at PvPers’ mercy), but I rarely if ever see them made.

In an attempt to be on-topic, I admit I haven’t played World of Warcraft. I also have no intention of ever doing so, because I know I’ll get hooked. I’ve played enough MMOs to know crack when I see it.

Well, I don’t see anything fundamentally wrong with non-con PvP, I just wish people weren’t such asses about it.

When I go PVP hunting, I will do it either in a zone appropriate to my level, facing people roughly on equal footing to me, or as part of a group PVP thing against a town. Either way, I want something where I actually have to do well to succeed.

But it seems like the majority of PVP players play to set up fights in which the other side has no chance whatsoever. They essentially have an “I WIN” button by hunting in zones where people can’t possibly fight back at them. Where’s the fun in that? There’s no competition, there’s just MUHAHHAA LOOK AT ME I AM A POWERFUL INTERNET BULLY, I CRUSH YOU.

It kind of reminds me of people who cheat/hack at online games. I’m not saying it’s equivelant, but you have to be screwed up to cheat, and then derive any sort of fun or satisfaction from it. “WOW, I’M SO COOL BECAUSE I CAN WIN BY CHEATING! AWESOM!” - it seems like the same sort of meaningless win where no one else had a chance scenario. I just don’t understand it. I can only guess that it’s trying to compensate for powerlessness in real life in a really cheesy way.

Just popped in here to say that Broomstick put that puppy in at 6 am and we haven’t seen her since.
Don’t forget to eat, Broom!

The alpha version from that site actually works just fine. I’ve been using it since the 2.0 patch came out.

I feel just the opposite. PvE brings out the worst in people. Of course, that depends on what you consider the worst. Strangers corpse camping me, for instance, is just funny. It’s never bothered me (particulary not in WoW… at least in EQ it had some bite since you had to recover your gear). I go get something to eat or watch TV or do something else for 15-30 minutes while they sit on their ass in game staring at my corpse. By the time I’m done doing whatever else and come back, 99% of the time they’ve gotten bored and left.

PvE on the other hand tends to bring with it a bunch of raid driven, loot whoring drama that I absolutely hate. People bitching because they couldn’t come to a raid (since WoW has character limits on instances), people bitching that not enough of Class X showed up to a raid so it can’t be done, people bitching Person X was given Item Y instead of them even though they’ve been to 3.383242% more raids over the last 6 months. I feel like PvP puts me into conflict with strangers or people I’m not friends with, whereas PvE puts me into conflict with acquaintances/friends. I’ve seen so much intra-guild/clan conflict/drama in my time playing MMORPGS, and almost all of it was due to PvE/loot.

But I’ll freely admit I’m a PvP player who finds PvE fairly boring most of the time. (Which is one reason I didn’t play WoW for long and didn’t really like it or find it much fun. I thought the PvP was lackluster and sterile. But I suppose that’s neither here nor there.) So I’m sure that skews my perspective.

I don’t usually like games like this (combat-intensive)*, but I’ve been having fun with Warcraft. I’ve got two characters-- a mage and a priest. I really like the priest character because I’m the helpful sort and when running missions, I prefer to be in a group as support rather than the one in the front lines bashing the Defias.

• Which is why I liked Star Wars Galaxies. I set myself up in a profession and never had to fight anything.

Hehe. I’ve been playing WoW (on PVE) since Jan. '05. I am pretty much a care-bear.

This month, I decided to give a PvP server a shot. (Mainly because my main server went down.)

Lot’s of folks mention the corpse camping and stuff, but I have also seen posters (on the WoW forums) that from their experience, corpse camping someone for longer than 5 or 10 minutes is rare. (The drive-by gank is still more common, though.)

We shall see were my tolerance level really is!

But I think that WoW is a pretty easy game to learn and enjoy. I recommend getting the strategy guide/map book, it helps a lot, especially early on. “Where the heck are the Shimmering Flats? Oh… there they are!”

Browse the various forums on Worldofwarcraft.com, too.

Check out the class forums to get tips (and an FAQ and current bug list) for the class(es) that seem to interest you.

It is, in my experience. Though I haven’t played since, oh, around May of '05. But I doubt it’s different now. There’s just no incentive to corpse camp in WoW, so people will rarely do it for very long. You’re sitting there doing nothing and it gets very boring, all to cause someone some minor inconvience. I played for about 6 months or so and I could count the number of times I was corpse camped for any length of time on one hand.

Now in EQ on a PvP server I saw some incredible corpse camping on a few occasions (groups corpse camping targets in shifts for hours on end in hopes of getting the corpse(s) to decay), but even there that kind of hardcore griefing was very rare.

The main thing you have to watch out for is dying right at someone’s exp spot. If you’re exping and they come and take the spot from you or you attack someone who’s exping and they kill you, then they may may stick around a lot longer and kill mobs. But I don’t count that as corpse camping. And if they’re fighting stuff it’s usually easy to rez and get away or counter attack.

I’m a PvE player partlyk because I’ve never cared for the hostility that some players bring to PvP. Beyond that, the notion of going head-to-head with another player really doesn’t appeal to me (although I can’t resist giving a /moo to any Tauren I see when I play Alliance). On the other hand, Amok’s description of guild drama is pretty spot-on. I did the guild thing in EQ and haven’t bothered in WoW. I’m mostly a professional putterer. I level various characters, work on trade skills, hang out with my RL friends. But I don’t raid and so I’ll never get uber gear. I’m fine with that.

The key to enjoying the game is figuring out what you like. Some people hate PvP. Some people hate raids and guild drama. Some people would be bored to tears by the way I play.

To be fair, this is end-game drama; it’s not inherently nor exclusively the domain of PvE servers. If you’re just starting WoW, or if you eschew end-game content altogether, you won’t see any of this no matter where you play.

Oh, and here’s my advice:

www.thottbot.com Everything you’d get from a strategy guide, for free. Not considered cheating, but is almost mandatory. DO NOT READ THE WOW OFFICIAL FORUMS. The stupidity will kill you. It’s so bad that they sticky the posts that aren’t completely retarded. I swear to god there’s a guy right now threatening to sue because they made epic PvP gear within reach of people who don’t play 24/7.

Find a good guild. If you’ve got one, then you’ve got a helpline already set up, a source for teammates for dungeons (and later raids), help for gear (my guild gives new members bags), and at the very least a source for conversation. Of course, that’s harder than it sounds. I met mine through a general interest message board. A terrible lot of players are utter morons (I’m convinced from conversations I’ve heard that “fag” is a playable race that I’ve somehow never come across). From what I hear, ironically things are a bit more civilized on the Horde side. But then again, I would say that.

-Brotagar
Orc Hunter of the Blacksky Company, Kirin Tor

i second that

I’m off and running - killed a lot of zombies, skeletons, and various beasties; I’m turning a bit of a profit robbing bodies and selling the loot (except for the jackass who ran in and looted a critter for me!); and got some training.

Now I’m running around with a letter to deliver, I’m supposed to steal a bunch of pumpkins, and I’ve got deadguy parts in my backpack I’ll dispose of as soon as I find the grave of Marla Phipps

(I did remember to go to bed last night. Before midnight, even!)

Is it sad, that even though I mostly play Alliance (dwarves with boomsticks, YES!) I know Broom made an undead? :slight_smile:

That last bit shouldn’t be possible, unless you were grouped with the guy. When you initially damage a creature, you tag it if it hasn’t been tagged already by someone else. Only you should be able to loot a creature you had tagged. It’s possible that it had already been tagged by someone and you thought it wasn’t, so you were basically fighting for the other person at that point. Note that “initially damage” is meant very precisely. If you throw a DoT (Damage over Time) spell on a mob, it’s not tagged until the spell begins to damage the creature. This can be a little bit after the spell is cast, so don’t assume that simply tossing a spell at it is going to tag it for you. If someone else gets a hit in after you cast but before damage starts being taken, they’ll tag it.

Agreed entirely. My wife and I independently came to the conclusion that the reason the Alliance side is twinkier is because the Horde female builds just aren’t that attractive, at least not when compared to Alliance Humans and Night Elves.

Of course, once Burning Crusades shows up, I expect the Horde will get innundated with female Blood Elf Paladins who don’t wear clothes and speak in the “abbreviations puncuated by ‘fag’ and ‘gay’” language. So I’m leveling up now as much as possible while it’s still quiet.
I swear to god, someone complained to me two nights ago that they couldn’t install the game on their mother’s computer because “her cpu is gay”. What the fuck? I mean, what the fuck?