Worst movie of the year?

BLASPHEMY!!! The Mummy rocked! It was a COMEDY. It was supposed to be silly and ridiculous. Plus it had not one but TWO very yummy men…::drool::

O p a l C a t
www.opalcat.com

Cruel Intentions. Aptly named. It was laughably bad, as was the Bone Collector.

I wish I could get back the three and a half hours of my life I lost seeing The Blair Witch Project and The House on Haunted Hill. I wish I could get my money back too. They were the worst movies I’ve ever seen in my life.

The Mummy was GREAT! I love Brendan Fraser. YUMMY!

Reading these posts I’m glad I passed on the oportunity to see most of the released movies this year. Although some of them seem so bad they’re good (just paste Crow and the gang to the screen).

These are all the 1999 movies I saw in oder of worst to best:

#8. . .Tie between Austin Powers II & South Park (Saw both for $1 at a film pub and am still wondering where that other 99 cents went.)

#7. . .Blair Witch (Proves that Independent Films can suck just as much as the Big Studios!)

#6. . .Star Wars I (Somebody please stop Lucas now before he makes another film, even a home movie)

#5. . .Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick should have stayed locked up in his house; at least this one looked gorgeous and had some decent peripheral characters, though)

#4. . .Matrix (Cool, Hollywood Mystery Movie. The mystery?: How the hell does Keanu keep landing movie deals?)

#3. . .Sleepy Hollow (Always great to escape into Burton’s fantasy world, even if the story’s sub-par and the actresses suck)

#2. . .T.W.I.N.E. (Best Bond flick in a long time, and the opening credits sequence was the most fabulous, baby!)

#1. . .American Beauty (Kick-ass, I love being surprised by a film - Kevin Spacey’s performance was SO good, it alsmost made me forget about the total-travesty-of-all-that-is-good which was Albino Alligator.)

Of course, Patch Adams was technically released last year, I hated it so much that I give it the award of Worst Movie of the Year for 1998 and 1999. Maybe a couple of more years too.

Hell is Other People.

Didn’t like South Park, didn’t like Inspector Gadget.

Austin Powers 2 and American Pie, I could understand the target audience being able to stomach a joke about drinking excrement and such. But to have this joke in Inspector Gadget?

Check out http://www.thestinkers.com ; they run a pretty extensive Worst Movie of the Year thing. I believe the current front-runner is Baby Geniuses, although the creator of the site seems to have a personal vendetta against The Blair Witch Project.

Personally, I liked TBWP, but, whatever.

Yeah, I liked The Mummy too.
Just like to stress that Eyes Wide Shut was the worst movie I saw. I’m sure that there were many more movies out there that were worse, I just didn’t pay to see them.

I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned Notting Hill yet. Gack. They should have called it Nodding Off. Julia Roberts has all the personality of a Wet-Nap, and if I see Hugh Grant play a bumbling, shy Brit one more time, I think it’s grounds for justifiable homicide. I can’t believe that I’m supposed to somehow figure that those two could possibly create enough chemistry between them for me to think they were in love. The only thing that saved that movie from being truly awful was the roommate, and even he wasn’t enough. I don’t understand why people liked this movie so damn much.

Ah yes, the Blair Witch Project! I’m sorry, but I don’t ever expect to pay eight dollars to get motion sickness outside of an amusment park (or taxi cab) environment.

The whole movie I sat there with my glasses off and my head between my knees. I didn’t leave because I paid money to see it, dammit, and I wanted to at least hear it if I couldn’t look at the screen.

For crying out loud these were professional FILM STUDENTS! You’d think they know how to hold a camera straight, especially BEFORE any panic set in!

And of course The Brunching Shuttlecocks’ own Self-Made critic’s complaint:

I adored the South Park movie, but it’s one of those ones you have to watch knowing what to watch for: in this case the subversive political commentary.

I don’t see many movies, only seeing ones which I’m sure are going to be good.

I liked Eyes Wide Shut. I also like South Park. So obviously anything I’m going to say is going to be ignored. What the hell.

I know that according to the unwritten rules of this game, it should be a big box office movie. However, I can’t let this pass. [url=http://us.imdb.com/Details?0175777]Just A Little Harmless Sex* starring Alison Eastwood was simply awful. After awhile, I got bored with the story and started counting boom mikes and crew members.

Damn.

Just A Little Harmless Sex

I agree that * Notting Hill * was awful. Grant/Roberts had NO chemistry and the plot was completely contrived. Of course, I hated * My Best Friend’s Wedding *, too, which other people loved. And don’t get me started on * Armageddon *, which made a bazillion dollars at the box office.

So, what do I know? I loved * American Beauty *, though.

Notting Hill was awful. I saw it on the plane and wanted to jump off the plane. I’m glad I didn’t listen to people who said it was good. Can Julie Roberts suck more? On my way back, the movies offered were The Entrapment and The Love Letter. Thank goodness I didn’t run out of reading material.

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge…others just gargle.

When did it say she was a virgin? It didn’t, to my recollection. She said, “There was no father. I can’t explain what happened to me.” It didn’t say she’d never had sex before, and IIRC, “Star Wars” mentions something called “The Clone Wars,” which could imply all sorts of medical experimentation.

Yeah, like people haven’t been saying, “May the Force be with you” for the last 22 years.

“South Park” was not only the funniest movie I saw all year, it was the funniest movie I’ve seen in several years.

“Eyes Wide Shut” was a letdown, albeit a beautifully filmed letdown.

“Come on, Phonics Monkey–drum!”

The Matrix is #33 of all time on the IMDB top 250.

The Matrix

:::tapping foot::: Stoidela, I wish to know what you didn’t like about Practical Magic.

Anyway, it came out last year.

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

Haven’t seen many movies this year but “Phantom Menace” would have been a good enuf reason to go back to comic books all by itself. Dumb story, worse acting, egregiously overstated special effects and not one quotable line in the whole damn flick. Lucas needs serious therapy.

JB
Lex Non Favet Delicatorum Votis

Well, I also thought “Practical Magic” sucked. I kept saying, “Oh, come ON!” as every scene was more and more stupid as the movie went on. I despise Sandra Bullock anyway. But, these “nice” witches kill a guy and it’s a feel-good type of movie?? I don’t think so. And when they all floated in the air at the end?? Oh, good God!

I LOVED “South Park”. I think you need to be a fan of the show to appreciate it. They don’t do what they do just for shock value. If that were the case, it wouldn’t be funny. I know some people that saw the movie that had lukewarm feelings about the TV show and they hated it. Sometimes it’s possible to enjoy something that isn’t cerebral. It doesn’t make you any less intelligent for liking the movie.

I also thought the Matrix blew. The storyline was shit, but I thought it was because I just wasn’t into Sci-fi (or whatever that piece of dung was). I saw it on a date and would’ve walked out, if I hadn’t liked the guy I was with.

“There comes a time in a man’s life when he asks himself, ‘Who will float my corpse down the Ganges?’” – Apu

I loved South Park and The Phantom Menace.

I hated/loathed/despised Austin Powers and Carrie II.

I still haven’t seen The Blair Witch Project, but it sounds like I shouldn’t waste my time.