Worst tacked on character or sub-plot?

Chuck Cunningham from Happy Days. Everybody says that the show started to go downhill when the Fonz “jumped the shark”. Personally I think it got flushed down the toilet when Chuck Cunningham came to stay. Anybody want to start a new Internet catchprase? “Up-Chucked” for any show that completey sucks during it’s final season. (Roseanne, She Spies, ect)

IIRC, Jonathan Frakes (who played Will Ryker) was the director in that movie, which might explain why they had to do that ridiculous subplot. While it did kinda sorta set up the next movie a bit, it still felt entirely unnecessary.

Also to ask “Who’s Zed?”, setting up a great line.

I never thought that the romantic subplot was tacked on and it made sense within the context of the film as they’re all on a planet that rejuvenates, reinvigorates, and all those other re-words and Deanna and Will (Riker with an “I” not a “Y”, by the way. Nitpicky, I know, but I hate when character names are misspelled.) have this twenty year old friendship based first and foremost on the fact that they love one another and are each other’s soulmates.

It was just their own story coming full-circle.

May contain partial spoilers if you haven’t seen The Incredibles:

This is the one that sticks out in my mind because it’s the one I’ve seen most recently. I don’t know what Frozone’s purpose was in The Incredibles. He was in the first 15-20 minutes of the movie, and then disappeared until the last 10 minutes. And his power wasn’t even that helpful. He was the token black guy… and that was about it.

Her name’s Kate Beckinsale and she was the only reason I watched the movie in the first place.

Are you sure you mean Chuck? Richie and Joanie’s incessant-basketball-bouncing older brother from the first season and never to be mentioned again?

Unless you’re joking, in which case I’ve been whooshed, I think you mean Chachi Arcola.

Or perhaps K.C. Cunningham.

Maybe Ted McGinley?

Gotta disagree with one of your examples. Oracle isn’t tacked on in Birds of Prey. She’s the core of the team; it wouldn’t exist if she hadn’t recruited Canary and much later Huntress as operatives. Her being in a wheelchair was the result of events that occurred long before the series began and I can’t recall a single “lame subplot” built around her being in a chair.

Dark Angel, though, I’m with you on that one. The idea that the genius hacker guy had to be disabled, otherwise he wouldn’t have any use for a beautiful young woman with superpowers is dumb beyond belief.

Not the worst at all, but certainly the most bizzarre: The Janet Leigh character form the original Manchurian Candidate. I mean, what was her whole sub-plot all about? It was fascinating, sure, yet it seemed totally pointless… or was it?

I always assumed that she was another communist spy - one who could keep tabs on Frank Sinatra’s character, and keep him in line until such time that the Manchurian taskmasters needed to “activate” him (much the same way that Angela Lansbury’s character kept her “son” in line.)

Anyway, the first character I thought of was Batgirl. But to be honest, as much as she was tacked on, I always liked her. Barbara Gordon was way cool, and that turntable wall, and private motorcycle garage - damn how I wished I could have that in my room! And the way she high-kicked the bad guys, gotta love it!

“Ellen” (the sitcom) - while I really appreciated her coming out, I thought she moved into a relationship (with an utterly forgettable character) too soon. I never thought her show was “too gay” for the mainstreaml. In fact, I would have liked her play the field and explore her newfound sexuality a bit more before settling down.

Yvonne Craig turned Barbara Gordon/Batgirl into a Green Kangaroo–a role that was tacked on that wound up, thanks to brilliant acting, stealing the show positively. She did it before Judy Bloome even wrote the book on it.

How about some other examples of Green Kangaroos?

X-Men? Ironside? Ummm… {running out of examples} Christopher Reeve?

Doom Patrol

Yeah I thought of that as I was writing the post, but the bad acting and the rest of her lines more than balance the good line at the end.

I guess I’ve gone completely insane. I know I saw at least one Happy Days where some blonde guy had replaced Ritchie. Totally horrible. I thought he was Ritchie’s brother Chuck. Anybody know what I’m talking about?

I named my cat after her!

That would explain it. There was a young blonde who moved in with the Cunninghams for the '82 & '83 seasons: cousin K.C., played by Crystal Bernard.