Would You Mod The Dope?

Sorry, your application has been denied. Reason: you’re much too soft on spammers. Public flogging is not NEARLY painful enough. Burning at the stake might be severe enough.

And actually, it’s not the commercial spammers that are the worst. The worst of the worst are the ones with a Mission to Spread the Word. Commercial spammers usually hit a board, spam with one or several posts, and then move on to the next message board. The people with a Mission come back again and again and again.

I’ll try again in a few months. :wink:

Perhaps advocating involuntary organ donation for spammers…:cool:

Hell no.

Wait. checks underoos

Damn.

Hell no. I would move to Goshen and renounce my English ways first.

I’d help moderate the Game Room if I could do the wordplay, Family Feud, and sports threads while someone else handled Mafia marathons, video game discussions, and other subjects about which I know and care nothing. I’d also take a general “Editing Mod” role so that if someone noticed his/her message contained an egregious factual or grammatical error, and the five-minute window had expired, I could clean up the post. As a matter of fact, there’s an example right in this thread of (what I assume is) a missed comma that changes the entire meaning of a sentence…

I remember back when I became president of my bowling league. I thought, “This is a great community I’m part of, I’m happy to lend a hand to it, what could possibly go wrong?” Turns out, people can turn the simplest shit into political nonsense in the most benign of environments.

I love posting here and will continue to do so, but no thanks on the modding. Y’all can have it.

I’d do the Game Room. I spend most of my time there and it seems like easiest forum to moderate.

Actually I wouldn’t mind doing most of the forums (not GD or GR as I don’t read them). I don’t take things personally, at least not usually, and I don’t mind being thought of as a bitch. At times I’m proud of it.

Whenever I’ve thought about modding my first thought is “how the hell would you find the time?” and consequently I’ve never even moved on to thinking about the question “would I like to do it if I could?”

Thinking about that now, I can’t say I much see the attraction. I don’t have any interest in status or power. The only reason I would do it is out of a “someone has to step up” sense of community obligation. I would assume that there are plenty of people who would dearly love to mod, so why would I stand in their way when I don’t have any desire to do it, for its own sake?

But given that the OP’s scenario is of Cecil being in desperate need, and if the time thing wasn’t an issue, I think I could mod if I had to, and I’d choose GQ because it has the clearest behaviour standards (I think).

Exactly. I once moderated a (much smaller) politically-oriented forum, for a number of years. It was no end of hell. The guys who do it here get my immense respect, because their contributions make this a fun place to lurk and occasionally post, but modding is a huge pain in the ass.

No way in hell.

I would do it if asked, if there was some desperate need (as per the scenario), but on a strictly temporary basis.

(Not that I think I’m too special for it or anything - I just think it’s a difficult, unpleasant, thankless task that I would do if asked, but would not jump up to volunteer for)

I actually applied for Giraffe’s job when he quit. I needed a new coffee mug.

I did not get a response, which I find a little worrying, frankly - I mean, if I’m not qualified for an unpaid job…

Funny that. I would have guessed from your user name that you would be perfect for the job.

:smiley:

Not for all the tea in China would I put in long, unpaid hours scrutinizing texts according to an arcane set of rules that I do not understand, cannot understand, and that are invulnerable to any sentient being’s understanding–it’s shameful enough that I continue to post here.

I selected “Hell, no,” but I agree with your plan of following GFactor’s example. It’s just that GFactor is a way better person than I, so I know there’s no chance I’d actually be able to do that. :slight_smile:

On one hand, I’d like to put in my service to the community. On the other, the conflict of interest and appearances of favoritism inherent in the position would really be a problem for me to manage. I do salute those of you who’ve been able to pull it off.

Been there, done that, still waiting for my t-shirt.

I wouldn’t mind doing Games or Cafe Society for, like, an hour a day. Otherwise, forget it. I already have a job.

Sure thing. Not a problem. I do phone support. I can take the heat.