Wounded troops get a bill for equipment...

Wounded troops get a bill for equipment lost in combat
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/95168184.html

What the fuck is going on? We send these people to shit holes, fighting “our” war for “us”, and when they get shot and their gear is lost, we send them a fucking bill? How many times and for how much longer is this shit going to happen? What the fucking fuckity fuck?

Well at least that guy now has publicity and some congressman will propbably intervene for publicity. It sucks for the rest of the guys in that situation who will never get in the paper.

Probably a good policy as a general matter, to discourage soldiers from “losing” grenades and other fun toys, but this sounds like total bureaucratic incompetence.

I suppose you’d prefer they were able to come back from a patrol and be able to say, “Sorry sarge, I lost a couple of grenades while we were running about”?

Soldiers have to be charged “breakages”, otherwise they’d probably be the most irresponsible organisation on the planet.
ps. great minds n that… :wink:

In my own military experience, if a soldier loses equipment his CO may - or may not - choose to have him court martialled for the loss. If found guilty, he may be forced to pay a fine, but rarely one equal to the value of the equipment. The fine isn’t to cover the loss, it’s to teach the soldier to be more careful.

That’s the way things should be, IMHO. Bill him if he’s guilty of negligence, but at least there should be some sort of process. It shouldn’t be automatic.

This. If the immediate superiors - his NCOs and officers should make the call, they can then decide what is fair wear and tear, or battle damage, or what ammo and ordinance was used in battle, etc. In this case, I seriously doubt his immediate superiors would have done this to him.

I wonder if the soldiers have to stop and fill out a form in the field every time they discharge a round, or lob a grenade?

Yes, they should just be able to go into the armoury and choose themselves what they need to get the job done.

Do pilots get billed when the lose their planes?

Now you know why the Captain always goes down with his ship.

But that’s no excuse for forgetting his canteen!

So he’s did what they ask. Why won’t they give him his money back?

Hasn’t the military taken enough from this fellow?

I’ve always heard the best way to die is heavily in debt. I didn’t realize that this would likely be a combat-related death too.

Alas, this is nothing new.

Arthur Dodd was a British soldier captured in WWII and sent to Auschwitz. In his biography, it is recounted how upon liberation and eventual return to his unit, Dodd was compelled to forfeit pay to cover the cost of his “lost” rifle.

As an aside, the aforementioned book, Spectator in Hell, is available free full-text on line and is a very sad, but very interesting, read.

That’s not so bad. What’s tough is getting the other guy to sign the receipt.

I am in the Navy, and a few years ago I had spent six months with the US Army (as a Navy guy).

At the end of it, I turned in all of my Army issued gear and uniforms. Imagine my surprise when they charged me for two clothing items I was never even issued. The Navy doesn’t do this and I just could not wrap my mind around this whole concept. The Army’s response? Shut the fuck up squid and go pay at the counter right over there.

Lessons learned: the Army is hardcore, and second, read every inventory sheet they give you. :eek:

Possibly it was the new stealth clothing – you never saw it coming.

You think that would have made a difference?

Suppose you had noticed something on the sheet was missing. The Army’s response? “Shut the fuck up squid and sign the fucking sheet.”

I suspect that what we are dealing with here is a somewhat garbled civilian newspapers version of a Report of Survey. In the Army, and I think in all the other services, the loss of every solitary item of government property must be accounted for. Someone is accountable for every item of government property. Individual soldiers are responsible and accountable for equipment issued to them, their personal weapon, field equipment, two blankets and one pillow. Commanding officers are responsible for organizational equipment. My company commander had signed for and was responsible for three barracks building, a mess hall, a day room, a supply room and all their contents and furnishing, cots, mattresses, foot and wall lockers and the guideon. If any thing comes up missing the poor sucker who is accountable for the missing stuff is “surveyed” for it.

The supply and logistics people get pretty excited about Reports of Survey and think everybody should pay for everything. Before liability is imposed, however, there is a legal review by the local Staff Judge Advocate’s office. This system was explained to me years ago by a Korean War vet Army JAGC lieutenant colonel who said, “Spav, the guiding principle for legal review of Reports of Survey, the very pole star of the whole system, is this: nobody pays for nothing. Remember that.”

Sometimes you have to engage is some pretty creative legal thinking to reach the approved result but it can be done. I once let a young man off the hook for driving a five ton dump truck through and over the main gate guard shack on the grounds that since neither the truck or the shack were the soldiers personal equipment he had to be shown to have been grossly negligent to be liable and the soldiers had only been simply negligent.

So, nobody pays but the missing stuff is accounted for. Everybody’s happy and no harm is done.

Yep. Welcome to Obama’s America.

I understand the practice in general, but when someone is shot and receiving medical treatment and (possibly) being airlifted to Germany or something and then back to the States and undergoing multiple surgeries and whatnot… when, exactly, is this person supposed to make sure their two blankets and pillows are returned? When are they supposed to count the grenades that likely got removed from their bodies by medics or other people around them? When is he supposed to look for the canteen he might have dropped when he got shot, or make sure the socks that got cut off in the OR get accounted for?

I really wish common sense could kick in a little sooner. It’s a ridiculous policy to be enforcing two years later on someone who was injured.