x-ray vision, bring your nasty-ass here

I gotta say thanks to monstro for opening up this thread. It’s nice to have a place to come to to say things like:

You are a fucking idiot, X. A dumber shitstain would be hard to manufacture in a lab. Read a book, fecallobe. Start with Suess and work your way up.

BTW, in case no-one got my earlier joke, I refered to the poster in question as “alpha-particle vision” because alpha particles can barely penetrate the thickness of a sheet of paper. One of his views and intelligence should not have a name that references looking deeply into anything.

Actually, it was Alvin Garrett.

Eh, I count six.

BAN NED. Two groups of three. Where I come from, that equals six.

Seven is right out.

:smiley:

After Googling, I see that you’re right. As Emily Litella would say, “never mind.” :smiley:

I had always heard it as being an Art Monk catch. Maybe a pseuco-urban legend-type shifting of facts over time? At any rate, I stand corrected.

Here’s an SI article on the incident (scroll down to “Sept. 5, 1983”).

Does that mean it was not a honest slip but a racial epithet?

Some call it “spin”, some call it propaganda, I’m glad that you and possibly others are no longer a victim of it in this instance.

I doubt Cosell intended it as a racial epithet – as the article notes, he had called white running back Mike Adamle a “monkey” in a previous game. And if anything, Cosell had a history of showing a great deal of respect to black athletes; before MNF, “Howard Cosell” was practically synonymous with “Muhammed Ali” for the amount of TV time they shared together, and Cosell (unlike many sportswriters and broadcasters) immediately respected Ali’s name change from Cassius Clay.

Having said that, it was an extraordinarily stupid thing to say. Cosell was a professional broadcaster; he should know how his remarks would be interpreted, and should have refrained from making them even with good intentions. As a professional, you get held to a higher standard; Cosell probably deserved his fate.

Re: Art Monk – I’m pretty sure that isn’t deliberate spin or propaganda. The Cosell incident occurred during a broadcast featuring the Washington Redskins, and involved a Redskins reciever. The Redskins happened to have a very talented reciever named “Art Monk.” Monk’s name sounds a lot like the comment Cosell made. I don’t think it’s too big a stretch to see how some years after the fact a person remembering the incident would misremeber the reciever as Art Monk instead of Alvin Garrett, and how after several retellings the comment would be rendered a slip of the toungue while saying “Monk.”

Hey now! Stop this hijacking with a real debate and start actual point of this thread-- badmouthing x-ray vision.

Or you can defend him, if you are so inclined.

Personally, I don’t think Howard meant it as an slur, but x-ray sure as hell did.

Jiminy Christmas, what a racist jackass!

But you do know that BANNED has a silent and invisible letter “T” in there, doncha? I mean, duh! Get with it.

There ain’t nothing to see here folks. Ain’t nothing to see.

BANTNED

BANNEDT

BANNTED

TBANNED

I like this qoute, it vindicates him from being racist :rolleyes: .

It’s the equivilant to:
“No, of course not all blacks are lazy, I’m sure that their must be one or two who aren’t?”

I’m sorry to tell you this butt-spunk, but ascribing a characteristic to a majority of a particular race is indeed racist. It’s prejudicial too.

Oh but X-ray doesn’t want to be called racist-fine. You know what? I can live with that, I don’t have to call him racist. A dumbshit would be a more proper term. Ohh, how about a prejudicial close-minded anal pollup?

How 'bout we just not call him anything at all, folks? Do Not Feed the Bigot.

Good point Minty

Because I cannot stand by and let him spout his bullshit without countering it. And I need a place to vent. So I continue to post here in the Pit and in GD.

(Although I haven’t felt the need to post in that GD thread for a while since it seems he has no other retarded assertions pouring out of his syphillic brain today.)

I’m with you, Biggirl. This particular fool’s not the only one currently spouting things along the lines of “Just because I make racist statements doesn’t mean I’m racist” and “Just because I make sexist statements doesn’t mean I’m sexist.”

In reality, they do. Deliver us from the ignorant please!

While I agree with the point that this sort of drivel needs to be refuted, I would submit that this twit was demolished 'round about page 2. Since he seems to be getting off on merely repeating the same lines again and again every time anybody says anything in that thread, why give him any further excuse?

Seeing as how the punk-ass bigot is too afraid to come to this thread, we aren’t really feeding him. But if he decides to show up, I got a steaming buffet waiting for him.

I know you’re lurking, you illiterate, punk-ass motherfucker.

Just as an opinion, I watched the newly released DVD of the 1947 film Gentleman’s Agreement, which covered the then-pervasive anti-Semitism of postwar America, and it made an interesting point that the really insidious bigotry doesn’t come from the drooling idiots like our chum X-Ray Vision, but from the “nice” people who perpetuate genteel racism, like expecting a black colleague to know some other black person just because they’re both black or saying things like, “My word, Biggirl is so well-spoken.”