X: The Man With X-ray Eyes

Just wrapping up a viewing of this alleged science fiction classic, but I missed the first 10-15 minutes. So, why exactly is it that Dr Xavier thinks that his experiments are a good idea? What was it that he was hoping to achieve?

And, uh, general discussion of the movie would be OK too.

No discussion of this would be complete without the supposed “cut ending”. From the “trivia” page at the site you cite:

I first read of this in Stephen King’s “Danse Macabre”.
It’s been ages since I’ve seen this film, so I can’t answerr your question. I’m not even sure that I’ve seen the first 15 minutes. I am, by the way, old enough to remember seeing the advertising trailers for this in the theater. Even though this was pre-ratings, though, there was no way I was going to se this movie in the theater. I had to wait for it to come to TV.

It’s been years since I’ve seen it but IIRC, he was trying to cure blindness.

Since he was an MD, he thought having “X-Ray vision” would be beneficial for diagnostic purposes and for actual operations.
In the beginning of the film, the hospital director, (chief doctor, whatever) played by John Hoyt (you’d know him if you saw him) is going to operate on a little girl. John Hoyt is sure that his own diagnosis is correct. However, Ray Milland with his enhanced X-Ray vision, knows that the other doctor is completely wrong.
So, just as John Hoyt starts to operate, Ray Milland slices Hoyt’s hand with a scalpel. Ray Milland goes on with the operation and even John Hoyt realizes that Milland was right to begin with. Still, (since he is John Hoyt), he acts very pompous and officious and tells Milland that he will bring malpractice charges against him, etc.
Also, (and I’m guessing this is all in the first 15 minutes), Ray Milland accidentally knocks his friend Harold J Stone out of a window and dies.
So, for these 2 reasons, we see why Dr Xavier is on the run. I liked the film by the way.

Actually the hand slicing and the sidewalk dive happen after the first 15 minutes.

…And You Call Yourself a Scientist’s review of X:

http://twtd.bluemountains.net.au/Rick/liz_mxre.htm

Otto
So, basically, I typed all that for nothing? Oh well. :smack:

I appreciate the effort though.

When I was a kid, I saw this movie on TV and didn’t really think too much about it until years ago when I saw Pi and noticed the two movies shared a lot of similarities (especially in the way the main character ends up solving the problems caused by his “gift”).

If thy eye offend thee, pluck it out! :eek:

Mark 9:44. (“It is better to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven one-eyed than with two eyes to be pitched into Gehenna”).