Xtf? (Spoilers for X-Men movie)

Another movie possibilities: We saw a Sentinel’s head in the Danger Room after Wolverine lopped it off, and we saw a good bit of Bolivar Trask, who was key in making an army of Sentinels to destroy mutants. It is inconclusive as to whether the mutant cure actually works, since we saw Magneto possibly make a chess piece tremble. And Xavier is still alive, just in someone else’s body.

Other than that, I can’t think of anything that would need another movie to explore or that begs to be continued.

Sorry for the multi-post, but I keep seeing more stuff to respond to.

Could you explain what were the Sentinels? I don’t think I remember that part, at least not by name.

[spoiler]Like I said above, Magneto is old, and what he did is a baby step in him regaining his power. Plus he needs to amass a brotherhood again. I bet time is not on his side and he’ll eventually die without achieving his dream.

Xavier was never tagged with the vaccine, so it is natural that he still has his powers.
[/spoiler]

It wasn’t mentioned by name, just as Phoenix wasn’t referred to by name in X2. However, the giant robotic head that Wolvie slices off in the Danger Room i, if not an actual Sentinel head, a very strong allusion.

Aaah, that thing… Are you talking about storylines that occur in the comics that could become another movie?

Yep. The Sentinels are definately a factor in any movie they make after this. Think Terminator on steroids, with a hard-on for all mutants.

Just got back, and I loved it. Sure, it had some plot holes, but so do* Othello* and Romeo and Juliet. My wife get looking at me and shaking her head with a grin every time they’d do a fan-boy thing and I’d cheer.

Loved Beast, loved Kitty, wanted nekkid Mystique, loved the final battle…especially the way they took down Magneto.

“I can’t believe this fit once.”

I actually quite enjoyed it. As always in this series of movies, the subtexts regarding homosexuality and the moralizing against the prejudicial hatred of homosexuality appealed to me. I wonder how many average viewers recognize the subtext?

That said, I thought the Golden Gate bridge thing was quite laughable, mostly for the same reasons that have already been brought out here, but also because I could think of a few hundred more practical alternatives to transport the mutant army to Alcatraz (which they might have had to have done to be sure the boy was actually killed).

Speaking of Alcatraz Boy (whatever his name was supposed to be), they seemed to misstep in that part of the story. I was very much expecting that he would play some more important role, but in the film he was very much ignored. I expected that, for example, he would at least temporarily cancel out Phoenix’s powers and allow some other X-man to take more permanent action. But he just got totally lost in the story.

Yes, but without the bridge, the rest of the soldiers couldn’t have gotten to Alcatraz as reinforcements to shoot at Phoenix and then get vaporized. Besides, by movie logic it had to be done.

Leech.

I thought they were going to do something like that to, so the curveball they threw here actually worked. Use Leech to take out Juggernaut instead of Phoenix.

Thank you! Honestly, I would have thought people here would appreciate the play on words (abbreviations?), but evidently not… Come on, there’s a spoilers tag in the title, it has the word X in it… X-Men 3 just out… bah! I need a drink. :smiley:

I suppose I should mention that part of the reason I was disposed to view this movie favorably was the presence of the “Snakes on a Plane” trailer beforehand. That movie’s gonna be so dumb, and I’m gonna love it so much…

I liked it. Not as much as the second one, slightly more than the first one, which lost big time points for having one of the worst lines in cinema history, spoken by Storm to Toad’s bits. You know what line I mean. AWFUL.

There were a few terrible directing choices (I’m thinking mostly of the scene between Storm and Logan where Logan’s all angsty and wants to go look for Jean and turns to the camera with a fierce but sad and conflicted look… way too soap opera and anytime Logan falls to his knees with grief).

I wanted more exposition. More about Colossus and Kitty Pryde (never heard of her before this movie as I’m not a comic reader). At least a little backstory on some of the “new” mutants. Maybe something on Leech… that would’ve been nice.

One question: Is Pyro dead? He should’ve been pulverized as he was lying unconscious on the island when Phoenix went all medieval. I guess the same question goes for Juggernaut.

I, too, was dissappointed with the resistance of Wolverine’s pants. They could’ve used his nakedness as a symbol of vulnerability before Phoenix and had that be a reason Jean came to the front so he could kill her. Plus there might have been some Jackman ass. Can’t go wrong with that. :smiley:

Xavier in the braindead man’s body says “Moira”, the name of the doctor, friend to Charles and pretty lady to boot.

Oh, and I am also over the age of 14, thanks.

AND, when is Cameron Bright going to do a movie where he’s NOT the carrier of a virus/enzyme/dna strand that will rid humans of a mutant underclass??

I didn’t get a “SOAP” trailer.

: pout :

Kitty was in X2, briefly… When the armed forces came to the school, she escaped them by sinking through her bed (and floor) to the floor below.

She was in X1 too. You see her place an apple on Xavier’s desk after a lesson, then run through the door. 3 movies, 3 actresses.

I have a different interpretation.

[spoiler] The scene shows the doctor checking the patient’s vitals. The patient turns to look at her and says “Hello, Moira” in Xavier’s voice. The doctor looks shocked and says “Charles?” in an incredulous voice.

But yes, it was the person with no consciousness that was shown in an earlier scene where Xavier was discussing the ethics of transferring consciousness to another body. The doctor was the one in the film clip. I think she was also at Xavier’s funeral. [/spoiler]

Actually, I did have one question: during the credits, I noticed that they credited Kea Wong as Jubilee. Did she actually have a part in this movie? I don’t remember seeing her. Was she just in X-2 as a minor character?

There was a Jubilee? I would have liked to see that…

She was in the second one, although she didn’t do anything, but they did say her name though.

I think she was in the class that Xavier was leading at the start of the movie.

I noticed Stan Lee was credited as “hose man”.

He was the guy with the waterhose at the very beginning when Xavier and Magneto were talking with Jean when she was young.

Is it sad that I noticed all that?

Nope. When I saw him, I poked my wife in the ribs excitedly. “It’s Stan Lee!” Then I had to explain.

I agree with **Wile E’s ** interpretation of the tag. I saw something like that coming after the set-up at the start of the movie. When Xavier smiled at Wolverine before getting zapped, I knew what happened. Too much Terry Pratchett and Star Trek, I guess. :smiley: