Yahoo! DSL

I just got Yahoo! DSL! YAY!!!

No more darn dial-up.

All those on archaic dial-up, envy me! I’m surfin’ fast and furious!

YEEE HAW!

I’ve had it for 1 1/2 years now, after an eternity on dial-up and I really like it. It’s been very reliable.

There are a couple of pitfalls. I signed up for a 1 year contract at first. At the end of that year, without any notice, they jacked my rate to $59.99/month. I got a refund, and a rate $15/month cheaper than my original contract for 6 months, but I didn’t like the fact that they didn’t tell me my rate was about to nearly double. Now that 6 months has passed, but I made a note to call them in mid-June and renegotiate before the $59.99 hammer was dropped on me again.

I have satellite TV so cable is out (the cable service here is teh suck, anyway), and I’ve heard people gripe about their Yahoo DSL, but I’ve had great service.

I was more concerned about being connected to anything that said Yahoo, it was SBC/Yahoo back when I signed up, I think it’s ATT/Yahoo now. I don’t use any of the Yahoo features except occasional Radio and the spam filter on my email, works good for me.

Yeah, you will be for awhile and you will become addicted to the speed. Then for no apparent reason, the service will be down for two hours at a time until some technician somewhere flicks a switch and reboots the internet. Feel free to call the service center the first few times it happens and spend an hour talking to your CSR until he/she finally checks the outage list and sees that you are in an affected area. Don’t Panic! Remain calm. Take deep breaths.

That’s what I’ve never had. In the time I’ve been connected, I’ve never had dropped service for even a minute. Obviously YMMV